Motion sickness?

I get car sick when we are on a hilly, curvy road and every time I've been on a personal boat on a lake. I really don't want this to stop my husband and I from trying a cruise. A lot of or family and friends cruise. Any suggestions on how not to feel sick? I'm looking at a 4 day cruise in March

Talk to your doctor about options. These don't have to include medications, but meds are a definite possibility.It is not wise to get medication advice from a bunch of strangers who lnow nothing about your medical history and situation.

Book a cabin midship and low.

Totally agree with Cruiser Bruce. I'm lucky and have no problem but still book low and mid ship. Also, big cruise ships are not as rocky as a little boat on a lake. Your doctor can help you with either RX or otc. Also may suggest you try before cruise to see how your body reacts. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Modern ships so large, "normal" seas are seldom an issue. Moderate seas are an issue if your at bow or stern. Since you know your problem, go to a doctor and get the patch. Over the counter meds may not work.

A modern cruise ship is so big, it's like being on a hotel on land. Especially if you're on a bottom deck cabin midship.

Unless you're crossing the Pacific or Atlantic Ocean, you'll more than likely be fine. I get seasick on those little boats too.

It depends on where you are cruising. The Caribbean, for the most part, tends to be calm and as previously stated, modern cruise ships have stabilizers and they are designed to go thru waves rather than ride on top of them, minimizing motion.

Definitely speak with your doctor about your situation. I am extremely prone to motion sickness but found that Meclizine (trade name Bonine) works the best for me.

It depends on where you are cruising. The Caribbean, for the most part, tends to be calm and as previously stated, modern cruise ships have stabilizers and they are designed to go thru waves rather than ride on top of them, minimizing motion.

Definitely speak with your doctor about your situation. I am extremely prone to motion sickness but found that Meclizine (trade name Bonine) works the best for me.

Bonine also works for me.I take the first pill a few hours prior to sailing. My husband wears the patch which he puts on the morning of the cruise. As others have said, it’s best to speak to your dr.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will ask my doc about the patch....I know alot of people that have used that and it worked. Maybe he can give to me to try before hand....

I used the patch in 2011 very successfully, the next time I had horrible side effects. This last cruise I went with dramamine and motion eaze oil behind my ear and the Sea Bands. I get a room in the middle of the ship, lower deck. I make sure I am outside and can see the horizon when we set sail from port.

I get motion sickness VERY EASILY - in the front seat. If my phone buzzes and I look down, I'm done for. I understand your fear. I've had two bad trips with seasickness but the rest I've been better prepared for and was successful.

Google motion sickness on the forums out here to give you some good ideas but yes talk to your doctor. I will not do the patch again. Oh - I've work in clinical research for 23 years so I take people's opinions on here and then google them to see what the research actually says about them. Sea bands have research showing they work.

I will ask my doc about the patch....I know alot of people that have used that and it worked. Maybe he can give to me to try before hand....

JMHO but the Scopolamine patch might be overkill - it was for me. Gave me the worst dry mouth ever and made me loopy - I actually slept the first day and a half on it. And God forbid you touch it and then rub your eyes! I would definitely test it out before hand for the side effects.

Agreed that the Caribbean water is very calm. I am cruising down the Atlantic (TOMORROW!) and am taking Sea Bands with me to be on the safe side. They are accupressure sport band bracelets and have worked for people I know in the past. I don't usually get seasick, but since we are going down the Atlantic, I'd rather be safe than sorry and return them afterwards if they go unused!

I did a 10 day Panama Cruise, my first one, this past Nov/Dec, 2017. I didn't bring anything specific for sea sickness. I get motion sickness on a swing so I became a little concerned when we set sail. However we did have three days when the sea began rocking and rolling. Several people in my group became sick and they were veteran cruisers; but I didn't and I was surprised.

I will be embarking on my second cruise Feb 2019 leaving from Fort Lauderdale to South Americia and I will be hitting the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Pacific Oceans so I've been reading up on motion sickness even though I didn't experience any on my first cruise. In fact I thought the rocking was rather relaxing in and out of my cabin.

Looking back on my experience I think I might have been saved by the essential oils I brought with me and which I used in a small portable diffuser. I also use the oils (pure essential oils) directly on my face and parts of my body (Tea Tree; Peppermint; Eucalyptus; Lavender; and a pain blend I use on my joints). I think my use of the diffuser while in my cabin and when I slept, kept the motion sickness away. I also brought with me packets of Ginger Crystals I use at home which I passed out to those in my group who battled sea sickness. Hmm. I will definitely take my oils (that's a given) and my diffuser when I on my Grand Adventure.

Ramona

• 3 weeks later...

Sea Bands did NOT work for my daughter or me. My son has epilepsy and cannot take any type of antihistamine so motion sickness meds were out for him. I got the bands for all of us. Hubby and son had no issues on a pretty rocky cruise from New York to Bermuda - didn't need the bands. I was semi-queasy and she was bedridden the entire trip down, bands did no good.

Now she starts taking dramamine the morning we board and is usually totally fine. I think the drinking helps too!!:D

It won't be as bad as you think. I get sick in cars and on rides that spin, but all I need on a cruise ship is some non drowsy dramamine, one in the morning and one at night. If you want to double up get the sea bands that you wear on your wrists at the drugstore. I wore them the first few days of my first cruise but I didn't really need them and haven't worn them since, and I've done 9 cruises.