Kids addressing our room steward...

MrsEmmaPeel

Okay, this one is off the wall, and I apologize in advance. But I have been trying to give our two (teen/tween) kids background on the work and staff that go into making a cruise. And I've tried to get across the amount of work that the staff do. We'd like our kids to be respectful of staff, and to me, part of that would be addressing their (adult/elder) room steward as Mr. or Ms. <family name>. I know, this is probably silly. They can be respectful however they address their steward to ask for something, etc. But has anyone ever done this, or are staff very reluctant to be addressed that way?

Sorry - I know this sounds... Odd.

We live in the south. Here, it’s somewhat standard protocol for kids to address all adults as Mr./Mrs. Also, to reply to them with Yes/No Sir/Ma’am. My kids have been addressing adults that way pretty much since they started talking.

So no, it’s not odd. If anything, it’s commendable that you wish to encourage good manners and respect for adults. Little things like that will make them stand out and get ahead in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, for most adults they've met, I prefer if my kids use their last names. Obviously, for people they don't know, Sir or Ma'am works the first time, and can go from there. But there seems to be a pretty strong tradition of using first names for room stewards, so I wasn't sure how things worked. And of course, in the end, the answer is whatever an adult prefers, since this is supposed to be about respect for an adult anyway. Sorry. As usual, overthinking things.

However you've taught them to address other adults ��

I see I recall always getting cards in my stateroom with the names (usually just on, and presumably first) of the steward and assistant steward. I believe it would be appropriate for any young person to address them by name - preceded by Mr. of Miss, as applicable —— as I feel respect for elders, regardless of position or status, is something to teach.

We live in the south. Here, it’s somewhat standard protocol for kids to address all adults as Mr./Mrs. Also, to reply to them with Yes/No Sir/Ma’am. My kids have been addressing adults that way pretty much since they started talking.

So no, it’s not odd. If anything, it’s commendable that you wish to encourage good manners and respect for adults. Little things like that will make them stand out and get ahead in life.

Yep. I've been called Mr. Firstname more times than I could begin to count. Sometimes I even refer to my friends that way when talking to my son or his friends. Go ask Mr. James. While we are use to it in the South, I wonder how it comes across to people elsewhere.

But to the OP, I bet the staff would really appreciate it. So many people act like they are just pieces of furniture.

But to the OP, I bet the staff would really appreciate it. So many people act like they are just pieces of furniture.

Why not take it to the next step? Have the kids write a nice letter to the cruise line CEO saying what an excellent job Mr/Ms (insert name here) did during their cruise. How many adults have the decency to do that after the cruise? The letter goes into their employment file which, in turn, helps them get a better position.

And, quite frankly, some adults need to use "Please", "Thank You", plus a little dash of "You are awesome" and "You are doing a fantastic job" when conversing with other human beings. Quite frankly, I need to do a better job of it myself on some days.

Okay, this one is off the wall, and I apologize in advance. But I have been trying to give our two (teen/tween) kids background on the work and staff that go into making a cruise. And I've tried to get across the amount of work that the staff do. We'd like our kids to be respectful of staff, and to me, part of that would be addressing their (adult/elder) room steward as Mr. or Ms. <family name>. I know, this is probably silly. They can be respectful however they address their steward to ask for something, etc. But has anyone ever done this, or are staff very reluctant to be addressed that way?

Sorry - I know this sounds... Odd.

Not a bad question and sounds as if you are raising good kids.

DON

Congratulations to the OP, way too many parents these days do not teach their kids respect.

Our kids always referred to adults as Mr/Mrs (last name) or Uncle/Aunt (first name) for good friends. For the cabin steward, had we taken our kids on a cruise we would have introduced them to the Steward as Mr/Mrs (first name).

Yuppa - down here in the South, our kids were raised to address adults as Mr/Miss <Firstname>

Yep. I've been called Mr. Firstname more times than I could begin to count. Sometimes I even refer to my friends that way when talking to my son or his friends. Go ask Mr. James. While we are use to it in the South, I wonder how it comes across to people elsewhere.

Odd. It comes up as very odd, as well as outdated.

We moved to the US deep south over 14 years ago and I am still not used to others calling me Mr. Firstname. Makes me feel like I am in a stage production of Gone With The Wind. But I try to be sensitive that to some in would be considered disrespectful to do otherwise, but I do discourage it where I can.

We moved to the US deep south over 14 years ago and I am still not used to others calling me Mr. Firstname. Makes me feel like I am in a stage production of Gone With The Wind. But I try to be sensitive that to some in would be considered disrespectful to do otherwise, but I do discourage it where I can.

Why discourage showing respect to others?

It may vary across different lines, but on Celebrity, the cabin stewards' tags just have a first name. The card they leave in your cabin has also just their first name and phone number. You can always request the steward tell you their last name and perhaps write it down and tell you how to pronounce it. And on Celebrity as well, the dining room attendants and cabin stewards always referred to us as Mr./Mrs. First Name.

There is a saying: “When in Rome...”. I hope your efforts to discourage does not extend to telling other people’s children to ignore their parents’ efforts to “civilize” them.

I don't think it's an odd request. It is good to hear.

I think it is very respectful that your children are taught to address the steward ( as an older person) formally.

So many passengers address the staff on board very rudely and show crew, as well as other passengers no respect whatsoever.

So, well done you ! Hopefully others will take this on board (literally !!!)

I'd go with Mr/Ms 'name on the badge' by default too, which in my experience (all mainstream lines) has always been first name only for room stewards, waiters, bartenders etc. It did sound odd to me as a Brit when I first came over this side of the pond, but I've done a lot of volunteering in schools and the kids (and teachers when speaking to me in front of the kids) address me as 'Mister Martin' unless I tell them they can ditch the mister. Every age from Grade 1 to 12 does it on both sides of Canada, and I'm well into three digits of kids tutored so it's definitely a normal thing.

There are definitely cultural nuances though - every adult Filipino I've ever gotten to know went through a phase of also calling me Mister Martin as we moved from stranger through acquaintance to friend; like some other posters above kids of friends call me Uncle regardless of their background, totally normal in UK and 'white' Canada historically, but here in Vancouver I get called just Uncle by younger east Asian folks who don't even know my name on occasion (I'm really not looking forward to when I get promoted to Grandfather!!!) - so I'd be inclined to ask the staff what their preference is. The last thing you want to do is make them uncomfortable while trying to do a nice thing!

The Southern Way is to use Mr. or Ms. Firstname. I find that the degree of courtesy in the rest of the communication though is just as important or more important that the title of address (Asking instead of demanding, saying please, thank you, etc)