Tea Service?

Cafabi

Are the following special teas still offered? It is on a 14-day.

Indonesian

Dutch

Cupcake

Thanks!

HAL no longer offers the "theme" teas you list above, only a "classic tea"; however, it is still a pleasant tea time experience, with a nicely laid table, and offerings consisting of small sandwiches, scones with cream and jam, and pastries.

We were on Maasdam in April and May, and had "Classic" tea only on the three Gala days. (The difference between the two types is that on Classic days, the goodies were put on each table on a three-tier server, while on the other days, the food was served from larger silver trays by MDR staff.

In all cases, we received pots of hot water and a bag of Bigelow Darjeeling tea, which is pretty good.

I was wondering about the Teas this week, too. I came across this older thread with photos of the plates for the regular daily Tea and the Classic Tea: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2565971

I see that the Know Before You Go 2018 still states that Tea is elevated to Royal Dutch Tea once per cruise, but I have not seen any first hand reports of this.

Many sailings have a Sea Day the day after embarkation and I have met more than a few that substituted the Tea for lunch if they overslept due to jet lag.

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

I see that the Know Before You Go 2018 still states that Tea is elevated to Royal Dutch Tea once per cruise, but I have not seen any first hand reports of this............

Happy Sailing!

Just got back from a 14 day itinerary on Zaandam, and there was no Royal Dutch Tea offered .

That is interesting that it's still in the Know Before You Go.

Another HAL glitch: I grabbed the available KBYG version in April, and the document title still showed 2017, even though a page footer showed a January 2018 date.

It's hard to trust info from a source that is so poorly checked. I was looking forward to the Royal Dutch Tea, but it was not to be, although the Classic Tea was quite nice.

Know Before You Go

Cafabi and kwb101,

It is odd indeed. But even in the most updated 2018 version that is linked online, there it is on Page 9 under "Other Delightful Dining Options: Daily afternoon tea service, elevated to Royal Dutch High Teaonce per cruise."

I will miss the chicken a la king and the little swan dessert . . . and the banana dessert. The last cruise I was on they went all out for one of the teas, an Indonesian Tea. It was fabulous! Perhaps if enough passengers vocalize how much they enjoyed the special teas, they will consider those opinions.

I am glad to hear the Classic Teas are nice. The presentation looks good.

syesmar, I think we have the same, wrong version of KBYG. I see that I downloaded March 4 of this year, but the first page still has "2017 WHATYOU NEED TO KNOW..." as the title. On page 18 (last page), at the end of the right column of text, is "(1/18)" in small characters. And, the note about the High Tea is there on p9.

Someone's asleep at the switch: it makes you wonder about the accuracy of other HAL docs. (We had a problem with inaccurate airline luggage info on our Yukon trip last year.)

kwb101,

Here's the link for the KBYG on their FAQ page: https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/manage-my-cruise-already-booked/faqs/KBYG.pdf

It says 2018 and then on Page 18 has a (2/18) notation. Agree that documents need to be updated. I recall that being a bit of an issue when they changed the dining room dress code. :)

kwb101,

Here's the link for the KBYG on their FAQ page: https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/manage-my-cruise-already-booked/faqs/KBYG.pdf

It says 2018 and then on Page 18 has a (2/18) notation. Agree that documents need to be updated. I recall that being a bit of an issue when they changed the dining room dress code. :)

hmmmm, interesting that I grabbed my copy in March, and it was still dated 1/18. As I mentioned, someone's not keeping track of these things. At least the title shows it's for 2018.

Glad to hear that the ice cream is included. Is there still the ice cream "parlor" that I've seen on maps near the entrance/welcome center? If so, am I correct in assuming that it is an additional charge?

We were on Maasdam in April and May, and had "Classic" tea only on the three Gala days. (The difference between the two types is that on Classic days, the goodies were put on each table on a three-tier server, while on the other days, the food was served from larger silver trays by MDR staff.

In all cases, we received pots of hot water and a bag of Bigelow Darjeeling tea, which is pretty good.

(bolding by me)

I don't usually wave my flag for Cunard cruises - done a few but prefer HAL's service and itineraries - but afternoon tea is something they do really well: ready-made fresh tea out of a pot, not a tea-bag in sight, cucumber, roastbeef and salmon sandwiches and scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream ..... But we do miss the Indonesian and Dutch Teas we had a few years back, the colourful Indonesian munchies, the coffee. I'd gladly pay a small sum to have that back on HAL ships. The so-called champagne high tea offered for a real high fee is no alternative.

(bolding by me)

I don't usually wave my flag for Cunard cruises - done a few but prefer HAL's service and itineraries - but afternoon tea is something they do really well: ready-made fresh tea out of a pot, not a tea-bag in sight, cucumber, roastbeef and salmon sandwiches and scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream ..... But we do miss the Indonesian and Dutch Teas we had a few years back, the colourful Indonesian munchies, the coffee. I'd gladly pay a small sum to have that back on HAL ships. The so-called champagne high tea offered for a real high fee is no alternative.

A quibble about Cunard's Tea Service in my experience during a 1980 trans-Atlantic crossing on the QE2 in the Queen's Room, Tourist Class, where we were paying more per person per day than we had paid for a trans-Atlantic crossing and North Cape Cruise on Royal Viking Sky. Cracked cups, no spoons (I have a picture of my friend stirring his tea with the blade of his pocket knife), slow service. Why did we experience this? There were labor issues on that cruise and it negatively impacted our memories of that crossing in several areas of the guest experience. (I grew tired of hearing my friend say: "When is this garbage barge going to get to New York."

In fairness, there was one Tourist Class Deck Steward that went far above and beyond in his service to me during a windy, cool morning when I ordered a Bloody Mary after he wrapped me up in my deck chair. His first attempt to serve me the drink, the wind caught the tray and he ended up wearing the drink. He apologized, changed his uniform, and I got my Bloody Mary. I hope I tipped him well.

My one experience with Tea on QM2 in the Queen's Lounge was what I expected.

Am I satisfied with HAL's Tea Service? Yes. The Royal Dutch Tea will be re-instituted, I hope, at some time. It was special.

Glad to hear that the ice cream is included. Is there still the ice cream "parlor" that I've seen on maps near the entrance/welcome center? If so, am I correct in assuming that it is an additional charge?

Sorry! I had two tabs open, and I meant to post this on my other, Half Moon Cay thread. You are all so gracious.

Yes, my KBYG is 2018 but still mentions the Dutch Tea. When I sail next week, I might just approach a staff member, point to the PDF of it on my phone and ask which day it will be. :);p