luggage

LizzyandTony54

If you are able to print your luggage tags before you leave home, you can fashion your own tags, and apply before arriving at port. If you have no tags, the porters will give you some. Either way will work!

printing them out ahead of time usually saves time at the port. nothing like being stuck behind a family with 8 bags to check and needing to fill out all the tags and the chick in charge of letting you in to the terminal not letting you go around them and inside......

Hi, Lizzy & Tony,

It's always worth giving a little more information when posting a question, it avoids getting inappropriate replies.

You're sailing Thomson (Marella), right?

Best to ask on the Marella board here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=497

A while since we've sailed Thomson, but if you selected a specific cabin Thomson normally send out labels (nowadays mebbe they provide them on-line though your personaliser).

If you've only selected a cabin grade & not a specific cabin, they may not allocate cabin numbers until very late - too late to send labels to you, so you collect on-the-day.

Even though we've always chosen a specific cabin, sometimes we still haven't received labels before travelling and received them at the airport / seaport.

If you travel to the port by air or by coach, best not to attach the cabin labels until you retrieve your bags - less chance of them getting torn off.

Definitely don't hand over your bags at the port until they're labelled with your cabin number - staff there have spare labels.

But to repeat, a while since we cruised Thomson and systems do change.

So best to repeat your question on that Marella board.

I have a low opinion of Thomson's shop and head-office staff's knowledge and efficiency, but a high opinion of those on their ships. So don't fret if things seem to be disorganised ahead of your cruise - once on-board you'll be fine. ;)

Very friendly ships, you'll enjoy.

JB :)

Once you determine the size of the luggage tags, there are some great plastic luggage holders you can purchase at Amazon. These tags are sturdy and will keep your tags from ripping or falling off.

Jonathan

OR ... just buy the widest ones and you can use them for any cruise line label. Support Cruise Critic and shop at their online store for them. https://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

luggagetags.jpg

OR ... just buy the widest ones and you can use them for any cruise line label. Support Cruise Critic and shop at their online store for them. https://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

luggagetags.jpg

Even better. I had forgotten the Cruise Critic store is opened again. I received my first set through Cruise Critic and they've served us well for several cruises since.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Hi

Silly question.... Do we collect our luggage labels upon arriving at the terminal .... Or do we put our own labels on the cases ect

Either way, we usually print ours out and attach them once ready to drop our bags and embark.

Another newbie with another luggage question. If we are driving in and getting priority check-in, is it necessary to give luggage to the porters or can we just take it on the ship with us?

I hope I used the word “porters” correctly! I am trying to get down all of the jargon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another newbie with another luggage question. If we are driving in and getting priority check-in, is it necessary to give luggage to the porters or can we just take it on the ship with us?

I hope I used the word “porters” correctly! I am trying to get down all of the jargon.

The bags would have to fit through the security check point and chances are you cabin won't be ready until around 1pm or later, so I suggest you just have some carry on bags with your essential items for the afternoon and check you larger bags for them to deliver to your cabin.

Depends on the line you are sailing with, but checking your luggage is probably wisest. Priority check in is often meaningless, it may get you into slightly shorter lines at the processing stations, but then you need to go up the escalator to get to the ramp that leads to Deck 3 or 4 of your ship, then you need to go [somewhere! anywhere!] to get out of the crowds and wait until your cabin is declared to be ready. So maybe you look for food and/or drink... In my experience, all of this is much more pleasant if not hauling one or two roll-aboards plus carry-ons. Don’t forget that a few thousand other passengers will want to crowd into YOUR elevator and your suitcase(s) will be an annoyance.

If unencumbered, it can be fun to spend the waiting hours just exploring the ship. The conventional wisdom is to carry with you just enough clothes, medications to tide you over until your checked luggage arrives, and of course keep your valuables with you.

Stan