Any US cruisers having trouble getting into/out of Vancouver airport this summer?

mrmac

I know it can be difficult leaving Vancouver with long wait times with luggage in hand. Add to that the absurd political climate and I’m wondering if people are missing their flights or standing in long lines this summer?

I know it can be difficult leaving Vancouver with long wait times with luggage in hand. Add to that the absurd political climate and I’m wondering if people are missing their flights or standing in long lines this summer?

I don’t understand....what does the political climate have to do with ground transportation in a port? How do you think it impact things in Vancouver?

I don’t understand....what does the political climate have to do with ground transportation in a port? How do you think it impact things in Vancouver?

Cruise turnaround days at YVR are chaotic at the best of times. Add to that increased scrutiny by USCBP which can extend the time needed to clear. Add to that the redeployment of resources on both sides of the border to deal with immigration issues elsewhere, and you have a further degradation in service. I’m speculating a bit, but that’s how I see it.

The solution is Nexus, which gets you through both security and immigration on an expedited basis. Best $50 I ever spent.

FWIW, I know of several couples who have canceled plans to vacation in the US, so that might ease the burden. We usually spend our winter vacation in Maui, but there’s a strong possibility we may cancel and go to Mexico instead.

Edited by Sopwith

I disembarked the Noordam on July 1 in Vancouver. I had no problems at all at YVR.

I had HAL direct ship to airport transfer, which means luggage went direct to airport and was claimed there. No going thru Canadian customs. I spent maybe 10 minutes in line for United and about 10 minutes for security and basically walked straight thru US customs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I Had no problem at Vancouver going toToro to but THEN had a 2 hour delay going through US security and customs before catching my connecting flight to US. I did not know we would go through customs and security in Toronto. It was a mess. Some people had bought maple syrup and other liquids after security in their prior airport and were unaware that we would go through TSA like security again en route so had to throw all their liquids out.

We had problems June 2017 Vancouver -> Toronto -> Orlando going home from Alaska cruise. The system is that they take a photo of your bags in Vancouver. In Toronto, TSA checks that against you. Cannot move on until they find your bag to match it with your photo and passport (you do not see your bag during this process) -- several in our group almost missed the flight to Orlando. DW had to go through the process three times because they send you back thru the checkpoints if it doesn't check out.

If there hadn't been several people in the same situation, I think people would have been left, including DW.

We had problems June 2017 Vancouver -> Toronto -> Orlando going home from Alaska cruise. The system is that they take a photo of your bags in Vancouver. In Toronto, TSA checks that against you. Cannot move on until they find your bag to match it with your photo and passport (you do not see your bag during this process) -- several in our group almost missed the flight to Orlando. DW had to go through the process three times because they send you back thru the checkpoints if it doesn't check out.

If there hadn't been several people in the same situation, I think people would have been left, including DW.

There is no TSA in Toronto. That is an American agency. Canada has CATSA for security.

The photo of the luggage is used by the US Customs and Border folks in the pre clearance process. Then if the US Customs folks want to check your bag they have it brought up after you identify it. I dislike connecting to US destinations through YYZ. You need a long layover to make it less stressful in both Terminals 1 or 3.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are right, not TSA.

There are American officials at the airport in Toronto, just as there are in Tokyo and Frankfurt. People bound for the US pass through the extra US security.

The bag photo system did not work well.

No issues with the Canadian security who were professional.

I flew into and out of Vancouver recently, although not on a cruise. Global entry is your big friend here. I sped through both ways! Since getting Global Entry, which was a major pain in the ass, it has sped up my entry back into the US on every trip I have had so far. The only problem is that you have to get an interview at a major airport. The only big airports near me were Boston and JFK. Interviews at Boston were backed up six months, and my cruise was scheduled 4 months away, so I went to NYC for the weekend just for my Global Entry interview. But it was definitely worth the hassle!

If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve, Global Entry fees are reimbursed. We each have our own account so two global entries were at no cost.

We also traveled for the face to face.

Certain US airports have rolled out while you wait appointments, you go to a secure area in between your flights.

keep in mind usa customs preclearance at vancouver airport stops at 8;30 pm....delta didn't bother to advise this on a flight leaving at 11 pm so had to clear customs when i arrived in atlanta and it took forever there so missed my connecting flight

Went from Westerdam to Vancouver to Toronto and finally Hartford two weeks ago. Bus from ship to YVR and into airport was very quick and easy. Got to the gate with almost two hours to spare. In Toronto had to go to the international terminal. Most airports would provide some type of transport for a distance this long. It was literally 20-30 minutes of a steady walk. Then many security stops, needed to take out passports at least 3 times. Custom line was only about 5 minutes. Got to the gate about 5 minutes prior to boarding. I have never had to walk so far from one gate to another anywhere

Went from Westerdam to Vancouver to Toronto and finally Hartford two weeks ago. Bus from ship to YVR and into airport was very quick and easy. Got to the gate with almost two hours to spare. In Toronto had to go to the international terminal. Most airports would provide some type of transport for a distance this long. It was literally 20-30 minutes of a steady walk. Then many security stops, needed to take out passports at least 3 times. Custom line was only about 5 minutes. Got to the gate about 5 minutes prior to boarding. I have never had to walk so far from one gate to another anywhere

^ This.

We put both parents (80s) in wheelchairs or they would not have made it.

^ This.

We put both parents (80s) in wheelchairs or they would not have made it.

There is definitely a lot of passport showing (and not a lot of smiles with it I must say). Also not any precheck lines! Just a trip with far too much going back and forth from CA to USA... too big of a pain for me, I wouldn't do it again.

We are doing the same itinerary in September. Was afraid the 12:00 pm would’ve been too tight. Next flight isn’t until 10:35 pm. Kicking myself but we will have the oppty to check out Vancouver for the day. How was the westerdam?

Westerdam was fantastic. Not sure if you'll have time to see much of the city if you have a noon flight. We were first off the ship, just after 8:00. Onto the bus and off to the airport, got there by 9:15 or so. Checked bags and went through security by 10:00. Boarding started at 11:30 and left at noon. No need to rush at all, but not really enough time to tour prior to flight

Westerdam was fantastic. Not sure if you'll have time to see much of the city if you have a noon flight. We were first off the ship, just after 8:00. Onto the bus and off to the airport, got there by 9:15 or so. Checked bags and went through security by 10:00. Boarding started at 11:30 and left at noon. No need to rush at all, but not really enough time to tour prior to flight

Sorry - I wasn’t clear. I looked at the 12:00 pm and wasn’t sure we’d make without rushing so I booked the 10:35 pm. We will have lots of time for exploring now. Lol.