Westerdam: Below the Main Deck

rjmccaw

Hi All-- When I purchased the stateroom (portside Ocean View room near the front of the ship, not far from the Main Stage) for our upcoming cruise, the deck plans I looked at only went as far down as the Main Deck. That's understandable, as the decks below that are (I gather) not for passenger use, but I am wondering what may be below our room. It seems that the Infirmary may be around that zone, but does anyone know? My husband is a heavy sleeper, and I wear earplugs, so we're not too concerned about noise, but it would be nice to know if there's machinery or something right below us, just in case. Thanks....

On a tour of that deck we saw a huge amount of different department. It was all a bit disorientating so hard to say what is where. Infirmary is in that area as are the tender platforms.

Having had a cabin in the area you reference, I'd say don't worry about what is below. We never heard anything from above or below. We were right next to the show lounge and very close to the stairs and elevators, but very little noise from either areas.

A lovely ship! When is your cruise?

Below cabins in that area will typically be crew cabins. There won't be any machinery near. You're not that far forward, but you may hear/feel the thrusters and or anchors when entering port, but it most likely won't be too bad at that location. Laundry will be further aft, and usually have at least one crew cabin deck above it.

Thank you, StG for the reassurance! Our cruise is in about 2 weeks. We're both excited and a bit anxious! Is that normal?

Yes, normal, so normal!!

Hope everything goes well for you. In two weeks the weather should be better. Rain forecast for much of this week. Summer is bound to arrive soon since it is July!

Enjoy and come back and give us your impressions!