Considering Zenith?

llarsen

Hello,

We are experience cruisers from the USA. We have cruised on Carnival, NCL, Holland America, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and Oceania.

We just returned from Italy on a wonderful Oceania cruise. We would like to return more often and Oceania is hard on our wallet with my husband retiring this January.

We travel with another couple and are looking at Pullmantur. The ports are more important to us than the ships amenities.

We are looking at Zenith for September 2019.

We have a few questions if anyone can answer it would be appreciated.

1. I understand that announcements are also in English, but if we need anything will we have a problem explaining to crew members?

2. Does Pullmantur abide by the same safety regulations as other cruise lines such as Princess, Celebrity which also stop in USA ports?

3. Has anyone traveled to Cinque Terre from Portofino or Portovenere on their own (without excursion) and was it easy to do?

4. Are the excursions large groups and crowded?

5. Does Pullmantur allow passengers to self debark (carry off your own suitcases) early when ship arrives in port?

6. Is the process for debarkation the same as any other cruise line?

7. Do you have to call Pullmantur if you want to book online and not use TA?

Thank you!

Hello llarsen. We are booked on Zenith for next year and a couple of your questions are also of interest to us. Meanwhile, what I have established elsewhere is:

1. I understand that announcements are also in English, but if we need anything will we have a problem explaining to crew members? I understand that crew members are able to communicate in English so you should not have any problems.

2. Does Pullmantur abide by the same safety regulations as other cruise lines such as Princess, Celebrity which also stop in USA ports? Safety regulations are applied internationally There is some interesting information here.

4. Are the excursions large groups and crowded? I'm not sure of the group sizes but I do understand that excursions are usually guided in Spanish They only offer an English speaking guide for groups of 10 or 15. Sorry but I cannot remember the exact minimum size.

I'm watching with interest as far as your debarking questions are concerned. Great questions all round.

I can answer #7 as I have booked a cruise to the Canary islands for March 2019.

You can book online, by phone or through the USA based agent Vacations To Go which also gives a discount to 55+ passengers.

Also if you book a JS suite with or without balcony you get the White Waves benefits which has perks including priority boarding and disembarking ( at ports)

hope this helps.. also check Tripadvisor for info

Thanks so much for your reply and help!

I figured safety regulations are the same, but they question came up in discussing this trip with our friends.

We have not taken ship shore excursions in years. We do a lot of photography, so a Spanish only tour is fine since we busy taking photos rather than listening to the tour leader ;-)

The excursions seem reasonable in price, but it's more about doing what we want...when we want, that makes private or DIY excursions more enjoyable for us. It's can also be more affordable since we have another couple to split the costs.

Yes, I'm curious to hear about the debarkation process if anyone can answer that question?

:-)

Thanks so much for your reply and help!

I figured safety regulations are the same, but they question came up in discussing this trip with our friends.

We have not taken ship shore excursions in years. We do a lot of photography, so a Spanish only tour is fine since we busy taking photos rather than listening to the tour leader ;-)

The excursions seem reasonable in price, but it's more about doing what we want...when we want, that makes private or DIY excursions more enjoyable for us. It's can also be more affordable since we have another couple to split the costs.

Yes, I'm curious to hear about the debarkation process if anyone can answer that question?

:-)

Hi Ilarsen. I've had a word with my contact at Pullmantur and she says that there is no self - disembarkation. You will need to leave your luggage outside the door on the previous evening and collect it from the dockside. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure

I've had a word with my contact at Pullmantur and she says that there is no self - disembarkation. You will need to leave your luggage outside the door

I don't really see how they can *make* you do this. If you simply don't put it out, what are they going to do? Knock on your door at 3AM and demand you hand over your luggage? :P

Thinking about it overnight, I came to a similar conclusion, but with a slightly happier ending.

You turn up at the gangway suitcases in hand and they ban you from landing, forcing you to stay onboard for the rest of your days. I could manage that if they are touring the bill

It doesn't make much sense.

I don't really see how they can *make* you do this. If you simply don't put it out, what are they going to do? Knock on your door at 3AM and demand you hand over your luggage? :P

I cruised many times ,different lines , and walked off with my bags at whatever time i choose sometimes early or last according to my schedule not theirs .As long as you can handle your own baggage dont put it out and disembark when it suits you :cool:

I cruised many times ,different lines , and walked off with my bags at whatever time i choose sometimes early or last according to my schedule not theirs .As long as you can handle your own baggage dont put it out and disembark when it suits you :cool:

But I wonder if you have ever cruised with a line that says it does not allow self - disembark? Apart from this one agent at Pullmantur saying they do not allow it, have you heard of a line with that policy?

But I wonder if you have ever cruised with a line that says it does not allow self - disembark? Apart from this one agent at Pullmantur saying they do not allow it, have you heard of a line with that policy?

never ever have I heard of that ! cruisers have planes to catch , tours etc. the nite before you fill out your times and they give you color/letter tags some people like to stay oboard till last minute so disembarkment is stagered avoiding chaos from 9 a.m. till 12 noon i will post when i get home appoximately 10-29 so look for my post :cool:

Hello,

We are experience cruisers from the USA. We have cruised on Carnival, NCL, Holland America, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and Oceania.

Are you sure you are in the right place?! ;p

Pullmantur is a VERY, VERY BASIC cruise company - at least you should book "THE WAVES" Premium (what a joke!) service in JuniorSuites - the rest is just youth hostel style: https://www.pullmantur.es/en/the-waves

Pullmantur WAS my most favourite company of all times, but it is nowadays only a shadow of it's former glory. What a shame! Pullmantur is still "okay" - but only if the price is right!

Yeap, on the last cruise I left the ship, NOT completing the itinerary and it was NO PROBLEM at all to get off with my suitcase, so don't worry!

Hi, I left the ship early due to personal reasons. But for you I will go more in detail. The food was OUTSTANDING and one reason to choose Pullmantur - nowadays due to the fact of AllInclusive it is good, but nothing special (especially breakfast), same for drinks. I really miss the theme nights and pool buffets. The entertainment hasn't changed since 2015 and on the last cruise (Transatlatic!) Pullmantur decided to close the theatre for evening shows... The embarkation process is a mess, in most ports Pullmantur is having not enough staff (saving costs I guess?). Worst to come is the vibe, the feeling on-board. Before guests on Pullmantur were always one BIG family - there was no difference, everyone was treated the same. Nowadays, with "The Waves"-Premium service Pullmantur is making a difference. It's a shame how Pullmantur is treating their loyal, longstanding customers...Yes, Pullmantur is popular, because it's AllInclusive, it's cheap, the food is good - but the downside is, that you are no longer treated as valued guest in a family, but as "just another" customer.:loudcry:

Thank you for your comments jaykayham. I had presumed you left early as there was something wrong with the cruise!

This is my first Pullmantur cruise and I have no preconceived ideas of what it will be like, except it won't be Princess, which is my line of choice. I have picked it for its itinerary, and, of course, for the price which was very cheap. As long as I have a clean bed and something decent to eat and the wine is drinkable, I will be fine!!

thats how i feel Jefa we really wont be on the ship that much with 5 ports 7 days maybe the dining will be a healthy weight loss experience with freash fruits and veggie freash salads or it will be on point like some reveiws I came across and we will gain weght . The price for 7 nites with free drinking pkge is a win win .I am even looking forward to the Spanish language challenge I dont know a word LOL:cool:

thats how i feel Jefa we really wont be on the ship that much with 5 ports 7 days maybe the dining will be a healthy weight loss experience with freash fruits and veggie freash salads or it will be on point like some reveiws I came across and we will gain weght . The price for 7 nites with free drinking pkge is a win win .I am even looking forward to the Spanish language challenge I dont know a word LOL:cool:

And I don't know a word of Italian bklynbobby:')

I have picked it ... for the price which was very cheap. As long as I have a clean bed and something decent to eat and the wine is drinkable, I will be fine!!

Yeap - I am sure you will LOVE it, if you keep this in mind! Keep this attitude and you well enjoy every single minute onboard! However, you can't compare this to any other cruise line and you have to lower your expectation what you did and as a first timer onboard you are not ruined from the glory old days (like me!).

Referring to the idea that you won't be able to self disembark....well I will have to as I'm only taking a small cabin sized suitcase and will obviously need to access it the evening prior to disembarkation and the morning off !!

I am beginning to really start looking forward to this cruise now, never been on this line before and trying to keep an open mind due to some of the negativity recently reported. As long as I'm at sea, I'll be fine !!!

YIKES your scaring me now
Silly!!! Lots of my friends have travelled on Pullmantur from the Canary Islands, where I live, and they have all had a good time and said it is excellent value for money.

Referring to the idea that you won't be able to self disembark....well I will have to as I'm only taking a small cabin sized suitcase and will obviously need to access it the evening prior to disembarkation and the morning off !!

I am beginning to really start looking forward to this cruise now, never been on this line before and trying to keep an open mind due to some of the negativity recently reported. As long as I'm at sea, I'll be fine !!!

Which cruise are you on ohnonotmeagain? I'm on 27th October out of Barcelona, and can't wait to board!

Silly!!! Lots of my friends have travelled on Pullmantur from the Canary Islands, where I live, and they have all had a good time and said it is excellent value for money.

Which cruise are you on ohnonotmeagain? I'm on 27th October out of Barcelona, and can't wait to board!

I am one the one before....20th October :):)