I think I need a Voltage converter, but what kind?

emmtee

I know that Hurtigruten is different than the cruises I've been on in the past and I don't expect it to have U.S. electrical plugs. I asked a tour coordinator if I'd need a voltage converter, and she said Yes. (Note: Our trip also includes an extension in St. Petersburg after our round-trip cruise). My problem is that I'm not sure if I need a converter or just an adapter. My hairdryer (1875 Watts) has dual voltage. We'll also have a few cameras with batteries to recharge, a tablet, a phone, and a fitbit. I think that's all. I've read that electronics like this are designed to be used in other countries and only need an adapter, but I'd feel a lot more confident if I got confirmation from people here who really know. :)

Okay, I'll look for that. What about the hairdryer? Can I get by with using an adapter since it has dual voltage, and if so, do I need to consider the wattage of my hairdryer when I buy my adapter?

If your hair dryer says 240 volts, then you only need an adapter for the plug, not for the voltage. Do not worry about the wattage when you buy an adapter. And you should check with Hurtigruten, because they may already supply a hair dryer in each cabin. Many cruise lines do.

I'm bald, so I don't even notice such things, sorry. :-)

The outlets are European style 220 Volt - I'm not aware of any power supplies/chargers for phone, tablets or cameras not working in the range 100 to 240 V - so only an adapter is necessary - You hair drier might not work and Hurtigruten might not accept the use of voltage converter

- Hair drier will be delivered to your cabin on request if not in the cabin - just ask reception.

electricity-tiles-type-C-200-px.jpg

Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure at this point that I don't need a "converter" - just an "adapter" because my only large wattage appliance (hairdryer) has dual voltage, and the adapters all say they work for cameras, phones, tablets, etc. Fortunately, a hairdryer is all I need for my hair since I got it cut - no curling tools required - only a round brush. :-) The hotels where we'll be staying in Bergen and St. Petersburg are 4-5 star, and the descriptions on the tour company website say they both have hairdryers, so I'm covered there. Still, you never know what kind of dryer the hotel will have. Even good hotels can have tired, crappy hairdryers.

So many adapters explicitly say that they shouldn't be used for hairdryers that I think I'll play it safe and just choose one of the few that specifies that it can handle them. (Many adapters don't say either way). There's one on Amazon that I'm watching right now - goes on sale in an hour or so. It's both an adapter and converter and can handle up to 2000 watts. I don't see how I could go wrong with that one. It's a bit pricey, but we'll see how much they discount it for Amazon Prime Day. :-) If that doesn't work out, I found a few reasonably priced adapters that will handle 2000 watts. Thanks again for your replies. I feel a lot better now.

If your equipment shows 100 - 240v the you only need an adapter.

The only issue you may find is that some adapters will not handle the wattage required for a hair drier. We have one which will cope with outlets anywhere in the world, and incorporates two USB ports, but its internal fuse will blow if a hair drier is plugged in. This isn't a problem as every hotel and ship we have used has been able to supply a hair drier.

If you are considering an adapter/converter then make sure you know the weight before you buy. The converters I use both from UK to US and US to UK items are really heavy unless they are for very low power items.

If you are considering an adapter/converter then make sure you know the weight before you buy. The converters I use both from UK to US and US to UK items are really heavy unless they are for very low power items.

If Not visiting UK I would not consider an adapter with UK plug. UK adapter is much bigger.

Same type of plugs for Norway and St Petersburg including Hurtigruten ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry should have been clearer - if the converter / adapter you are looking at on Amazon changes the voltage from 240 to 110 make sure you know the weight. They are usually heavy bits of kit and really not suited to travel.

I suggest an adapter is the way forward.

Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure at this point that I don't need a "converter" - just an "adapter" because my only large wattage appliance (hairdryer) has dual voltage, and the adapters all say they work for cameras, phones, tablets, etc. Fortunately, a hairdryer is all I need for my hair since I got it cut - no curling tools required - only a round brush. :-) The hotels where we'll be staying in Bergen and St. Petersburg are 4-5 star, and the descriptions on the tour company website say they both have hairdryers, so I'm covered there. Still, you never know what kind of dryer the hotel will have. Even good hotels can have tired, crappy hairdryers.

So many adapters explicitly say that they shouldn't be used for hairdryers that I think I'll play it safe and just choose one of the few that specifies that it can handle them. (Many adapters don't say either way). There's one on Amazon that I'm watching right now - goes on sale in an hour or so. It's both an adapter and converter and can handle up to 2000 watts. I don't see how I could go wrong with that one. It's a bit pricey, but we'll see how much they discount it for Amazon Prime Day. :-) If that doesn't work out, I found a few reasonably priced adapters that will handle 2000 watts. Thanks again for your replies. I feel a lot better now.

The adapters tend to say not for hair dryers because they don't want to have someone plug in a single voltage 110v hair dryer into a 220v outlet. Since you have a dual voltage hair dryer not an issue.

The adapters you need can be purchased for a couple of dollars. A six pack of a kind like the ones Hallasm posted a picture of can be purchased on Amazon for $5.99.

A set of heavier duty ones cost about $10.

https://www.amazon.com/American-European-Germany-Adapters-Certified/dp/B0058EG0KC/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0058EG0KC&pd_rd_r=6d05458d-8aac-11e8-8ef3-63b7862c0680&pd_rd_w=bcjow&pd_rd_wg=LvAzl&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1475879231140687736&pf_rd_r=9S1RFMQRFYDZ8QFT13C0&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=9S1RFMQRFYDZ8QFT13C0