Edinburgh to Southampton - Advice wanted

Dinglebert

So on the 22nd we are off on RCI for the week. The plan has always been for me to drive from Edinburgh the day before. Hotel booked for the night. Car parking was an added freebie at the time of booking.

However today my car decided three days after its service to display a light which means its currently sitting in a garage waiting for them to turn up tomorrow. Should be nothing much given the very recent service and its under warranty anyway. However it got me to thinking. If this has been the 21st on the drive to Southampton we would have had a problem.

Therefore looking at alternatives. Its for 2 adults 1 under 15 child. Flights look out. Its too late to get good prices and with added luggage charges not a great selection or price.

Looking therefore at the train. Edinburgh to Southampton as far as I can see involves Edinburgh - Kings Cross- tube to Waterloo and then onward to Southampton. I had heard mention of a direct Newcastle to Southampton train but I can't find it if it exists.

Pricing up individually brings cost down which I always find annoying.

Any suggestions as to best route?

Cheapest way will be air, train tickets are very expensive and the trains very unreliable.. Were you intending to drive on one day, it must be a 10 hour journey !

Air is most expensive method. Yes its a 10 hour journey. 430 miles.

Air and train are both expensive.

Train from £157 x 3 = £470+ and a journey time of well over 6 hrs incl crossing central London

Flybe currently from about £180 x 3 = £540 and can only increase as the date draws closer, + luggage + taxi to ship.

I suggest if the worst comes to the worst you can rent a car at short notice. Since you have port parking paid-for anyway it will probably be cheaper to rent for the duration (one week? 2?) rather than two one-way rentals, especially if it's limited mileage. Something like a Corsa for £240 (8 days) to £290 (15 days) + £110 fuel + £20 zero-excess insurance from an internet provider will total around £400.

JB :)

There used to be a cross country train from somewhere in the north, probably Newcastle, run by Virgin, to either Birmingham or Wolverhampton.. but trains on the east coast line have had problems- I think they're being run by the government?

If you can cross to Glasgow, there will still be a change at Wolverhampton but it's the same platform (usually), and the guard tells people where it's going from before you arrive- we catch the Glasgow train as it comes through Cumbria.

Hi,

Check out Eavesway coaches

Thanks. No departure points nearby. The car is back. Minor problem fixed but with the cars nowadays it only came up with engine management problem take to garage. The alternatives to driving are not great at this late stage. We are doing the same journey next year, different cruise and line. will be looking at trains 13 weeks before to get the best price. Not ideal though with 3 changes needed.

Thanks. No departure points nearby. The car is back. Minor problem fixed but with the cars nowadays it only came up with engine management problem take to garage. The alternatives to driving are not great at this late stage. We are doing the same journey next year, different cruise and line. will be looking at trains 13 weeks before to get the best price. Not ideal though with 3 changes needed.

You could still take a coach, if you took a train to near the departure point and stayed the night.

Also, check out thebaggagehandling company, who deliver to your ship- even if it's just for one main suitcase.

Possible to go via Virgin trains Edinburgh to Manchester then Bristol then Southampton central and almost certainly a hotel. Pretty expensive and time consuming.National express is also an option but again would involve a hotel

You could still take a coach, if you took a train to near the departure point and stayed the night.

Also, check out thebaggagehandling company, who deliver to your ship- even if it's just for one main suitcase.

I don't live anywhere near a train station. Sorted now. Thanks to all who read.

Air is most expensive method. Yes its a 10 hour journey. 430 miles.

We drive down to Southampton from Glasgow the night before our cruise, which usually takes approx 8 hours with three stops but last May it took us over 10 hrs with only two stops due to the May holiday traffic! :eek:

We were doing a TA cruise several years ago, Southampton to Miami. We drive to Manchester for an overnight stay and originally had booked Flybe to Southampton but they changed our flight time twice so we cancelled and booked first class on the train and direct. The train was cheaper than our flights and more relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Back now. We did the drive from the Borders to Southampton. It took 8 hours with stops and was perfectly manageable.

Brilliant. Glad you found the drive ok. I’m fine with the drive but then I’m not in the driving seat, hubby is! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So on the 22nd we are off on RCI for the week. The plan has always been for me to drive from Edinburgh the day before. Hotel booked for the night. Car parking was an added freebie at the time of booking.

However today my car decided three days after its service to display a light which means its currently sitting in a garage waiting for them to turn up tomorrow. Should be nothing much given the very recent service and its under warranty anyway. However it got me to thinking. If this has been the 21st on the drive to Southampton we would have had a problem.

Therefore looking at alternatives. Its for 2 adults 1 under 15 child. Flights look out. Its too late to get good prices and with added luggage charges not a great selection or price.

Looking therefore at the train. Edinburgh to Southampton as far as I can see involves Edinburgh - Kings Cross- tube to Waterloo and then onward to Southampton. I had heard mention of a direct Newcastle to Southampton train but I can't find it if it exists.

Pricing up individually brings cost down which I always find annoying.

Any suggestions as to best route?

Newcastle to Southampton on Virgin Cross-country train.

The Royal Station Hotel at Newcastle is attached to the train station.

We usually get on at Durham which is its first stop.

There are direct trains but you need to check times.

We have a 2 together Railcard for 1 year costing £30 and it gets us a 30% discount.

Graham