Back looking at cruises ater 10 years - whats changed??

Jo_London_Mum

Hi, I am looking at cruising after a 10 year break. I am now with a man who has never cruised, has always said he is anti cruising and however much I have tried to convince him otherwise, its ony 2 of his freinds cruising and raving on about them that have made him question whather maybe he might like one?

So - Im trying to work on him for a cruise at the beginning of January to the Caribbean.

I have done Princess, RCI, Celebrity many times, over 20 cruises, but these were all 10 years + ago, and a lot has changed since then. So before I go back armed with otions prices and info and my best smile I wanted to ask the following if you lovely people wouldnt mind helping me out?

1 - Whats the deal with anytime dining, this was first being introduced on my last cruise. I have always ben a 2nd seating girl, and I think he would probably want a table for 2 only, where as I would go for a biggie, 10 or 12, I have to ease him in to the cruising spirit gently!

2 - Im looking at NCL as well as the above previous lines I have been on, how are the new ships in comparison, and are they really all inclusive? or are there hidden extras?

3 - Does tipping still work on the same basis?

4 - Any other really important changed in the past ten years?

Thanks I know the forums are full of such helpful generous people xxx

Jo x

Hi, I am looking at cruising after a 10 year break. I am now with a man who has never cruised, has always said he is anti cruising and however much I have tried to convince him otherwise, its ony 2 of his freinds cruising and raving on about them that have made him question whather maybe he might like one?

So - Im trying to work on him for a cruise at the beginning of January to the Caribbean.

I have done Princess, RCI, Celebrity many times, over 20 cruises, but these were all 10 years + ago, and a lot has changed since then. So before I go back armed with otions prices and info and my best smile I wanted to ask the following if you lovely people wouldnt mind helping me out?

Excellent, welcome back hopefully. Worst case scenario is you cruise with a friend instead.

1 - Whats the deal with anytime dining, this was first being introduced on my last cruise. I have always ben a 2nd seating girl, and I think he would probably want a table for 2 only, where as I would go for a biggie, 10 or 12, I have to ease him in to the cruising spirit gently!

NCL has Freestyle dining (or anytime, select, mytime) which we find really easy, you just go to dinner when you wish at whatever venue you wish, you can still book a time if you wish. you can sometimes share a table or dine as a twosome.

2 - Im looking at NCL as well as the above previous lines I have been on, how are the new ships in comparison, and are they really all inclusive? or are there hidden extras?
NCL is great, the shows are some of the best, speigal tent is awesome and if they have a broadway type show on it is also excellent.
3 - Does tipping still work on the same basis?
Pretty much, they can be pre-paid or they may be added daily to your seaboard account for payment at the end of the cruise.
4 - Any other really important changed in the past ten years?
The ships are bigger, better and in a lot of ways much more mainstream. I also think there is a lot more things to pay for (less inclusions) which allows people to cruise for cheaper but then spend more once onboard.

Thanks I know the forums are full of such helpful generous people xxx

Jo x