Steak in Texas

miss tea

We will be going to Houston Texas and wanted to find a good Steakhouse. I do not want a chain I live in Las Vegas and there's lots of chains here I would rather have a Texas barbecue place. Can anybody help with a recommendation. A good Texas ribeye would br great. Thanks

We will be going to Houston Texas and wanted to find a good Steakhouse. I do not want a chain I live in Las Vegas and there's lots of chains here I would rather have a Texas barbecue place. Can anybody help with a recommendation. A good Texas ribeye would br great. Thanks

Texas barbecue places generally don't serve steaks. Texas barbecue is brisket. You need to go to a steak restaurant for a ribeye. How much do you want to spend? Most of the "cheaper" places are chains - Longhorn Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Actually, many of the expensive steak houses are also chains - Vic & Anthony's (Landry's), Capitol Grill, Pappas Steak House. I've never been, but people talk about Killan's in Pearland. Just remember that you won't find a decent steak at a barbecue restaurant.

For BBQ, my cousin the food blogger based in Houston definitely recommends Killan's. Get there early. But if you are looking for steak, it won't be at a BBQ place.

I believe Killan's has both a barbecue and a steak place in Pearland. Agree that never the twain shall meat!!

You didn’t say how long you would be here or what part of Houston so this might have no value to you but...

There is a place in Leona, Texas, about 2 hours north just off I-45, called Leona General Store. Friday and Saturday are steak night. The doors open at 5:30 and they don’t take reservations. The menu is simple; ribeye steak, grilled chicken breast or grilled catfish Mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon, a small salad bar with a lettuce and tomato salad. That’s it. The steaks are amazing and you can get one as big as you want cooked any way you want. This is a very popular country place and a couple of Saturdays ago we got there at 4:30 and there were probably 40 people in line in front of us. By 5:30 there were 75 behind us. It’s a pretty big place though so I think everyone got seated. The entire time we were inside there were people lining up for the second seating. If you want an idea how good the steaks are consider the temperature when we got there was 105. No kidding. Google Leona General Store. Hope you get a chance to check it out.

You didn’t say how long you would be here or what part of Houston so this might have no value to you but...

There is a place in Leona, Texas, about 2 hours north just off I-45, called Leona General Store. Friday and Saturday are steak night. The doors open at 5:30 and they don’t take reservations. The menu is simple; ribeye steak, grilled chicken breast or grilled catfish Mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon, a small salad bar with a lettuce and tomato salad. That’s it. The steaks are amazing and you can get one as big as you want cooked any way you want. This is a very popular country place and a couple of Saturdays ago we got there at 4:30 and there were probably 40 people in line in front of us. By 5:30 there were 75 behind us. It’s a pretty big place though so I think everyone got seated. The entire time we were inside there were people lining up for the second seating. If you want an idea how good the steaks are consider the temperature when we got there was 105. No kidding. Google Leona General Store. Hope you get a chance to check it out.

Plus 1 on Leona General Store.

JB

In years past, I would have said The Stables, but it no longer exists (When I lived in Houston, it was famous for what we called father/daughter dinners---except no real daughters were actually involved). Now I would say try The Post Oak Grill at 1415 South Post Oak Lane.

We will be between Houston and Galveston so I don't know how far that is from there.

We will be between Houston and Galveston so I don't know how far that is from there.

Too far! Thought you were probably going on a cruise. That's why I mentioned Pearland. It's not super close but sort of in the general vicinity. Maybe someone will pop in with information about something either around NASA or actually in Galveston. I wouldn't expect you could get a steak better than what you can get in Las Vegas, however.

Too far! Thought you were probably going on a cruise. That's why I mentioned Pearland. It's not super close but sort of in the general vicinity. Maybe someone will pop in with information about something either around NASA or actually in Galveston. I wouldn't expect you could get a steak better than what you can get in Las Vegas, however.

Rudy and Pacos in Galveston is one top 100 restaurants in US by trip advisor .

The Steakhouse , Number 13 and Shearns all have top ratings and good steaks .

Texas barbecue places generally don't serve steaks. Texas barbecue is brisket. You need to go to a steak restaurant for a ribeye. How much do you want to spend? Most of the "cheaper" places are chains - Longhorn Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Actually, many of the expensive steak houses are also chains - Vic & Anthony's (Landry's), Capitol Grill, Pappas Steak House. I've never been, but people talk about Killan's in Pearland. Just remember that you won't find a decent steak at a barbecue restaurant.

Killen's is quite expensive but it is supposed to be the best steak place in Pearland and Houston. If you are looking for a good steak, I recommend the Texas Roadhouse on El Dorado and I-45. We go there several times a month.

Now, if you want good Texas bbq, I recommend Rudy's off NASA Rd 1 and I-45 or Red River BBQ on Main Street in League City.

Killen's is quite expensive but it is supposed to be the best steak place in Pearland and Houston. If you are looking for a good steak, I recommend the Texas Roadhouse on El Dorado and I-45. We go there several times a month.

Now, if you want good Texas bbq, I recommend Rudy's off NASA Rd 1 and I-45 or Red River BBQ on Main Street in League City.

The OP asked for something that wasn't a chain and Texas Roadhouse is a chain. It's funny about barbecue as everyone has their own opinion. I think Rudy's (have never been to the one on NASA Road One, but others) isn't very good, but that's just my opinion! ;p

The OP asked for something that wasn't a chain and Texas Roadhouse is a chain. It's funny about barbecue as everyone has their own opinion. I think Rudy's (have never been to the one on NASA Road One, but others) isn't very good, but that's just my opinion! ;p

The one on NASA Road 1 is very good. I always get the moist beef and the ribs are yummy. I know they wanted stand-alone, but the Roadhouse is very good for a chain and the best in the area for the price as well as easy to get to.

For clarification Rudy’s BBQ the chain is not Rudy&Pacos in Galveston . And in the next couple of months Rudy&Pacos will open a brand new upscale Steakhouse across the street in the old Club 21 space.

That's also a chain.

There is probably some guy cooking ribeyes in the back yard behind his double wide that the OP might want to check out.

Would that be “unchain” enough for you?

There is probably some guy cooking ribeyes in the back yard behind his double wide that the OP might want to check out.

Would that be “unchain” enough for you?

Excuse me, I'm not the one who requested a non-chain place, it was the OP. My original post said the best ones were probably chains.

Excuse me, I'm not the one who requested a non-chain place, it was the OP. My original post said the best ones were probably chains.

Agreed, but with the restrictions that the OP has imposed, no chains and between Houston and Galveston, the field of possibilities is narrowed down to almost zero.

I do not know of any locally owned, high quality steakhouses on the island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed, but with the restrictions that the OP has imposed, no chains and between Houston and Galveston, the field of possibilities is narrowed down to almost zero.

Shearns

Rudy&Pacos

Number 13

The Steakhouse

Galveston has some fabulous, locally owned restaurants:

Shearn's at Moody Gardens Hotel

Number 13 on 45S feeder entering Galveston

Rudy & Paco's on Post Office

The Steakhouse at the San Luis

Galvez Bar and Grill - Hotel Galvez