solo- first timer -meals

hlsess

I travel on HAL ships all the time by myself, and I’m an older woman. I managed to snag a single room for the next one - yay! I love sitting at large tables in the MDR and was disappointed only once - a formal night and I was the only one at the table that night. Just a wee bit awkward. I didn’t ask, but I’m surprised they didn’t offer to seat me with another group. Since I’ve travelled solo for business and military, I don’t have a problem eating by myself. Great way to people-watch.

I'm in my 60s and a fan of HAL as well, but didn't know they had single cabins. What ship were you on? My favourite is Nieuw Amsterdam and I'd sail with her tomorrow if i could. Meantime, I'm in a studio on NCL's Breakaway to Russia and Scandinavia, ex Copenhagen on 29th May. It looks claustrophobic to me so here's hoping it's OK!! Fran :D

I'm in my 60s and a fan of HAL as well, but didn't know they had single cabins. What ship were you on? My favourite is Nieuw Amsterdam and I'd sail with her tomorrow if i could. Meantime, I'm in a studio on NCL's Breakaway to Russia and Scandinavia, ex Copenhagen on 29th May. It looks claustrophobic to me so here's hoping it's OK!! Fran :D

The new Koningsdam and the new build Nieuw Statendam have a few staterooms designed for a solo cruiser.

• 3 weeks later...
Good advice. I just completed my first solo cruise. It happened to be with Viking Ocean but regardless, every evening in the MDR I was asked if I'd like to sit with others, which I did. However, on two evenings, there was no one seat available at a table for 4 or 6. So, very thoughtfully I thought, they placed me at a table for two but I naturally had tables for two on either side of me that afforded me conversations on both sides.

One situation I did run into was constantly being asked why I was alone whether in the MDR, theater, or shore excursions. Initially I told the truth: my traveling partner of 26 years died in December 2016. However, this made the questioner feel badly so, for the rest of the cruise I simply said I couldn't find anyone else to come along, which was also true.

I would imagine to some degree it was a difficult question to answer for you, I am so sorry for your loss. I honesty can't imagine asking anyone why they are alone. I just booked my first solo cruise for next March. I actually am going alone because I can't find anyone else to come along lol. That is better than twice divorced, ended a 5 year relationship last year and decided I am better off alone :p I admit I am still a little nervous about going alone but I am a very social person and I enjoy meeting new people. Reading the posts here make me feel a little more at ease :)