Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

CCHelp

bargain for me is $75per day taxes included, Im always curious why people like to exclude the taxes and fees, because for some cruises they are $$$$ and it might be cheaper to consider other options if bargain hunting.

for me, its easier to use $50/day before taxes+fees because ncl only lists the price on the main page.

you have to actually go thru the booking process to see what the taxes/fees are.

not going thru that trouble to calculate if it's under $75/day with taxes/fees.

easier for me to use $50/day number

I just happened to run across today (thanks to an email from an online travel agency pointing me in that direction) that Uniworld river cruises has a number of cruises this year with no (and a few with reduced) solo supplement. I have a week-long cruise on hold at the moment for about $2500--and these cruises are all-inclusive of drinks, transfers, tips, shore excursions, etc.

I've been thinking of taking a river cruise for a while and this looks like a great option. The reviews I read on Cruise Critic of this cruise and line are great.

Yes, I discovered this a couple of years ago. Among river cruise companies that offer no or low single supplement cabins (usually limited in number) there is AMA Waterways, Vantage, UniWorld, and Gate 1. I took my first river cruise solo with no single supplement with AMA in 2017, and had a great time. I am booked for my next on Vantage, which also included free airfare along with paid shore excursions and wine/beer, plus free WiFi. I have never found this on Viking, which is expensive in addition to not offering no or low single supplement. Many people I met on my AMA Waterways trip had previously gone on Viking, and thought that AMA was just a nice.

Yes

Hi! I've never sailed solo before, but I just booked an OV Guarantee on Celebrity with the drink package and some OBC from my TA and a future cruise certificate for less than $1,200. It may not be the best bargain out there, but I'm happy.

Thanks for all the tips and cruise bargain alerts! If this cruise goes well, I may want to go solo again!:)

What is the dollar amount for a “bargain”for a 7day Cruise?

To me, it's how much it costs vs how much it would normally cost, and whether I can afford it and whether I want to go! :)

For a Celebrity cruise, which is the line I usually sail, I want to get it for $200/night before taxes/fees--I book balcony cabins. If I am going on NCL or RCCL I would look to pay less because they are not quite at the same level as Celebrity. If I want to go on a luxury or near-luxury line I would expect to pay more--though I have not been able to find a decent price on one of them for several years now, darn!

Yes, I discovered this a couple of years ago. Among river cruise companies that offer no or low single supplement cabins (usually limited in number) there is AMA Waterways, Vantage, UniWorld, and Gate 1. I took my first river cruise solo with no single supplement with AMA in 2017, and had a great time. I am booked for my next on Vantage, which also included free airfare along with paid shore excursions and wine/beer, plus free WiFi. I have never found this on Viking, which is expensive in addition to not offering no or low single supplement. Many people I met on my AMA Waterways trip had previously gone on Viking, and thought that AMA was just a nice.

Yes

I REALLY want to sail on Viking Ocean Cruises but they never offer less than 100% solo supplement in my experience. I keep watching for a deal though!

What is the dollar amount for a “bargain”for a 7day Cruise?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I believe.

More often than not over the past 5-6 years, I've tried to get into the USD 60-70 per day including taxes and gratuities range. I've almost always booked inside guaranteed cabins.

A couple of exceptions you might find interesting:

• July 2013, booked in late April 2013: Carnival Glory, seven days from Boston to New England and Canada, sailing with family but staying in a cabin by myself, 6K Grand Scenic Oceanview cabin 9201, approximately 330 square feet at the bow with wide floor-to-ceiling windows, about USD 2200, nicest stateroom I have ever stayed in and totally worth the extra expense.
  • May 2016, booked in March 2016: Jewel of the Seas, 10 days from Rome to Western Mediterranean, first sailing following extensive drydock and transatlantic repositioning, sailing with parents who chose the sailing but staying in my own room. I originally booked Family Oceanview cabin 1054, approximately 590 square feet (two bedrooms, two bathrooms), USD 2150. The cabin was supposed to be added during drydock, but they called my father a couple of weeks before departure date and told him the cabin was not available. He and they agreed to move me to another Family Oceanview cabin, 8500, about 320 square feet, and refund me USD 1000, for a net cost of USD 1150.

Also, last month (June 2018), I took a seven-day Alaska Inside Passage cruise on Norwegian Jewel. A couple of months before the departure date, I booked an inside guarantee cabin for about USD 1200. I also booked an Anchorage-to-Seward Alaska Railroad transfer that had to be cancelled at the last minute due to flooding. NCL refunded me the transfer cost as onboard credit and the railroad provided buses for the transfer at no charge. A day before the end of the cruise, my onboard account balance was about USD 40 in credit. Guest Services said they would mail me a check if I ended up with any credit, so I spent some money on alcohol and gifts. I ended up with a USD 5.40 final onboard credit account balance. I live in the Middle East, and I'm still waiting for that check... :):)

Happy hunting for those bargains!

my threshold is about $50/day.

so $350 before taxes + fees.

last month, there was a Boston to Bermuda on Dawn for $399.

i would have taken that if it was sailing out of my home port of NY.

I haven't seen much, if anything in this price range for months. Ir's way too limiting in my opinion and for my frequent cruising and preferences.

I haven't seen much, if anything in this price range for months. Ir's way too limiting in my opinion and for my frequent cruising and preferences.

$50 a day for solo does seem limiting, unless you get a last-minute NCL one or a hurricane-season special, or a translatlantic/transpacific that would be beyond my tolerance level for sea time. $100 is my reasonable amount, since it opens up Mexico on Holland and Carnival and Pacific Coastal cruises on Holland and Princess. Princess has had one-way Alaska cruises for around $100 this summer, and last September I scored one on Holland the first week of September for under $100/day during a warm spell. Since I live in WA state, coastal and Alaska ones also save me on airfare, and flights to California are usually around $100 or less each way.

I need to do the cruise, tax, tips and air for no more than $1700 for me to consider a solo cruise a bargain. And only once have I not booked a balcony.

That's on the high end because I cruise Alaska every year...am going in September at just over $1600, but it was a daily search to lock it in!

Caribbean cruises should be less...more in the $1300-$1400 range.

I need to do the cruise, tax, tips and air for no more than $1700 for me to consider a solo cruise a bargain. And only once have I not booked a balcony.

Friday I booked a solo balcony on NCL Getaway for 9/16/2018 Western Caribbean 7 day cruise with Bev. pkg, dining pkg, wifi, $50 tour discount at each port, an extra point each day towards my platium status and $200 OBC ALL IN FOR ONLY $1497.71! Airfare and pre-cruise stay at Embassy Suites was an extra $486 But I still think I got a darn good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jana60

Friday I booked a solo balcony on NCL Getaway for 9/16/2018 Western Caribbean 7 day cruise with Bev. pkg, dining pkg, wifi, $50 tour discount at each port, an extra point each day towards my platium status and $200 OBC ALL IN FOR ONLY $1497.71! Airfare and pre-cruise stay at Embassy Suites was an extra $486 But I still think I got a darn good deal!

Wow, that is a great price for a balcony. Did you book directly with NCL or through a TA?

You definitely did -- and with a ton of extras!! Good job...I'm jealous.

Hi fellow solos :D

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a couple of very fairly priced solo cruises I've booked recently. I believe all of these are still available at these rates (which I've adjusted to USD):

Costa Mediterranea - 7 Nights

Feb 2019

Dubai (overnight)>Muscat>At Sea>Sir Bari Yan>>Abu Dhabi (overnight)>Dubai

Interior GTY $658

Le Champlain (Ponant) - 3 Nights

May 2019

Bergen>At Sea>At Sea>Reykjavik

Deluxe Balcony $792 (incl. drinks & $230 OBC)

MSC Meraviglia - 3 Nights

September 2019

Kiel>Copenhagen>At Sea>Southampton

Std Balcony $185!!!

Seems like in Europe we often end up paying steeper fares than in the US (and with fewer perks) so maybe those of you who are stateside can get an even better deal on these!

Happy cruising :)

Hello, new here and wanted to chime in on the "budget" thread. I generally shoot for around $100 per day like most of you here. I recently scored an 18-day Australia/NZ/South Pacific/Hawaii for $2200, and that is a studio balcony on Ovation. Have Alaska, Baltic, Med and a TA for next year. I have a bad habit!

Nancy

Hello, new here and wanted to chime in on the "budget" thread. I generally shoot for around $100 per day like most of you here. I recently scored an 18-day Australia/NZ/South Pacific/Hawaii for $2200, and that is a studio balcony on Ovation. Have Alaska, Baltic, Med and a TA for next year. I have a bad habit!

Nancy

$100 is a good price point for me too. I also have a bad habit.:D

NCL used to have 7 night cruises for 399 and 10-11 night cruises for 599 for the summers of 2016-2017. They had nothing like this this year. I wonder if it's because Carnival no longer has Mediterranean cruises so they don't have to compete with anyone there anymore.

I still see Costa cruises for around 1000 dollars but every time I try to check out it tells me it's not available. I think Costa cruises for 10-12 nights are still ok if you pay the double price. The cheapest NCL cruise to Europe that I see now is $2000 plus taxes

NCL used to have 7 night cruises for 399 and 10-11 night cruises for 599 for the summers of 2016-2017. They had nothing like this this year. I wonder if it's because Carnival no longer has Mediterranean cruises so they don't have to compete with anyone there anymore.

I still see Costa cruises for around 1000 dollars but every time I try to check out it tells me it's not available. I think Costa cruises for 10-12 nights are still ok if you pay the double price. The cheapest NCL cruise to Europe that I see now is $2000 plus taxes

Yup- last year I watched all summer as the Western med cruises dropped to these rates, but only about 2 weeks out from sail. This year, I tried to game the system. I booked my plane ticket (FF miles) and then was planning to wait to buy the matching cruise. Um, no. Nothing dropped this year. I spent more than I would have liked to pay but spent a fair and reasonable price. A bargain would have been better, There's either less ships or the worldwide economy is better.

And now back to our regular programming....

Costa Magica

Transatlantic + Caribbean Itinerary

Depart Savona, Italy

20 nights

December 7, 2019

inside guarantee $988

This fare is bare bones, so no amenities included. Taxes and fees are $97.45 additional. The deposit should be $400 and nonrefundable.

MSC Meraviglia 13 Day repo cruise NYC to Miami October 28- November 10,2019

Studio cabin $1210

Can do better with loyalty match. On some booking engines it’s coming up with the Drinks package included for studios, but not listed that way on the MSC site

Great itinerary!

89946a6fb6c06556edf7bf8dc249853d.pngede53e5cfadc12cfa9746562ba1fe7b1.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSC Meraviglia 13 Day repo cruise NYC to Miami October 28- November 10,2019

Studio cabin $1210

Can do better with loyalty match. On some booking engines it’s coming up with the Drinks package included for studios, but not listed that way on the MSC site

Great itinerary!

89946a6fb6c06556edf7bf8dc249853d.pngede53e5cfadc12cfa9746562ba1fe7b1.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just booked this cruise and the one before it to CA/NE, 11-day $899.00, Inside Studio. This will be my first time on MSC, plus they will match your rewards status from another cruise line. Ted.