Prepaying gratuities

sammybonny

I think the tipping thing becomes a legal one. If the hotel service charge is mandatory' date=' it is salary rather than a tip and falls into a different category in the taxation system of many employee's home countries.[/quote']

I read this only here.

No crew member has ever told me that they care in the slightest about wages vs. tips.

Strangely, they call it all salary.

Most countries with the exception of the US do no tax income earned outside the country.

Regardless, this isn't really the issue to me. The issue is that the people who are paying the

charge are covering those who do not pay.

If the charges were mandatory, the entire pot would be much bigger.

Based on the bragging here, probably much, much bigger.

More income would offeset tax consequences, if any...

Most countries with the exception of the US do no tax income earned outside the country.

My understanding is that many of the crew in the tipped jobs received their contract through an agent in their home country. That agent gets a commission from the employee of x% of the person's wages, but gets no commission on tips.

My understanding is that many of the crew in the tipped jobs received their contract through an agent in their home country. That agent gets a commission from the employee of x% of the person's wages, but gets no commission on tips.

I only know about folkS from RuSSia, Ukraine, Romania, Mexico and South Africa.

In none of thoSe countrieS doeS an agent get a Share. But, you might be right that

folkS from Some countrieS do.

In fact, for moSt northern european countrieS, the agent iS princeSS Staffing in Napoli.

Additionally, if the agent Situation iS true, it would Seem that it would have to be a problem

on cruiSeS from auStrailia, where tipS are included; aS well aS the endleSS promotional

fareS with 'free gratutieS' include.

I care leSS about what happenS to the money after it iS collected.

I care much, much more that each paSSenger iS paying their Share for Service, and

that I'm not paying for them.

Does anyone know how Prepaid Gratuities are handled. I once read where a passenger reported that their extra tips were required to be put in the pool because Prepaid Gratuities don’t count the same as normally paid gratuities. On our last cruise with the Prepaid Gratuity promotion ( 3 for free) I did notice that there was not any daily gratuity charge. In the past I thought that Prepaid Gratuities showed up as a credit at the beginning of the cruise and then there was a daily charge on my account for the Gratuities?? Just looking at my final bill it appeared that I had not paid Gratuities.

I only know about folkS from RuSSia, Ukraine, Romania, Mexico and South Africa.

In none of thoSe countrieS doeS an agent get a Share. But, you might be right that

folkS from Some countrieS do.

In fact, for moSt northern european countrieS, the agent iS princeSS Staffing in Napoli.

Additionally, if the agent Situation iS true, it would Seem that it would have to be a problem

on cruiSeS from auStrailia, where tipS are included; aS well aS the endleSS promotional

fareS with 'free gratutieS' include.

I care leSS about what happenS to the money after it iS collected.

I care much, much more that each paSSenger iS paying their Share for Service, and

that I'm not paying for them.

What's with all the upper case S's?

Does anyone know how Prepaid Gratuities are handled. I once read where a passenger reported that their extra tips were required to be put in the pool because Prepaid Gratuities don’t count the same as normally paid gratuities. On our last cruise with the Prepaid Gratuity promotion ( 3 for free) I did notice that there was not any daily gratuity charge. In the past I thought that Prepaid Gratuities showed up as a credit at the beginning of the cruise and then there was a daily charge on my account for the Gratuities?? Just looking at my final bill it appeared that I had not paid Gratuities.

i noticed this year that if gratuities are prepaid they don't show as a credit or debit on the statement. i like how uncluttered this makes it--much easier to see everything else i've spent on board.

i noticed this year that if gratuities are prepaid they don't show as a credit or debit on the statement. i like how uncluttered this makes it--much easier to see everything else i've spent on board.

I agree but just looking at your statement it appears you didn’t pay Gratuities. If Princess only checks the statement then they might put extra tips into the tip pool.

Just Saying

I agree but just looking at your statement it appears you didn’t pay Gratuities. If Princess only checks the statement then they might put extra tips into the tip pool.

Just Saying

Don't you think that Princess knows how Princess shows or doesn't show prepaid gratuities on your account?

What's with all the upper case S's?

My keyboard gets stuck every once in a while.

Suprisingly, it is a software, not a hardware issue.

I know how much folks love to jump on posts in all caps, so I thought I would leave it for them.

If you Pre-Pay gratuities .... it is a line item on your cruise invoice/statement. The cruise line knows you have pre-paid.

Now, not showing on the On Board Account is a completely different item. It does not NEED to be visible, appear on the On Board account. Everyone who needs to know ... does know that you have fully paid your gratuities.

Just Saying

How would Princess put 'extra' tips into the tip pool? From where would the 'extra $$$ cash $$$ come from?

If you Pre-Pay gratuities .... it is a line item on your cruise invoice/statement. The cruise line knows you have pre-paid.

Now, not showing on the On Board Account is a completely different item. It does not NEED to be visible, appear on the On Board account. Everyone who needs to know ... does know that you have fully paid your gratuities.

I like your explanation and I HOPE your right. I want my extra tips to go to the person I’m tipping.

How would Princess put 'extra' tips into the tip pool? From where would the 'extra $$$ cash $$$ come from?

Usually on the last night of each cruise I hand the Room Stewart, Head Waiter and Assistant Waiter an envelope with extra tip in cash as long as their service was outstanding in my view,

Usually on the last night of each cruise I hand the Room Stewart, Head Waiter and Assistant Waiter an envelope with extra tip in cash as long as their service was outstanding in my view,

Oh, you said 'extra' tips/'additional' tips paid by the cruiser. And you think Princess employees turn them in. And then Princess puts these additional tips into the tip pool.

Well, like everything tip related, these additional tips are believed (and heatedly argued) to be kept by the individual IF the auto tips/gratuities/service charges, etc. are paid by the cruiser.

In the end, who knows. It is all guesstimate, supposition, and heresay.

Just fyi ... it's steward.

Oh, you said 'extra' tips/'additional' tips paid by the cruiser. And you think Princess employees turn them in. And then Princess puts these additional tips into the tip pool.

Well, like everything tip related, these additional tips are believed (and heatedly argued) to be kept by the individual IF the auto tips/gratuities/service charges, etc. are paid by the cruiser.

Well the Princess crew contract said (2016 last one I saw) that all cash tips had to be handed in.

I like your explanation and I HOPE your right. I want my extra tips to go to the person I’m tipping.

I would think that if the persons receiving the tips didn't get them that that word would get out very quickly. If I give a gratuity in an envelope to a person, don't you think he'd probably put the word out to others that after he turned it in, he didn't get it back?

Tom

My keyboard gets stuck every once in a while.

Suprisingly, it is a software, not a hardware issue.

I know how much folks love to jump on posts in all caps, so I thought I would leave it for them.

And I had thought you were using upper case S to represent dollar signs in a post about money.

I would think that if the persons receiving the tips didn't get them that that word would get out very quickly. If I give a gratuity in an envelope to a person, don't you think he'd probably put the word out to others that after he turned it in, he didn't get it back?

Tom

Tom .... if I'm allowed to post...

The way it usually works in dining...

On the last night, any cash tips which are given to the waiter...

The waiter writes the cabin number on the envelope, and collects the envelopes throughout service.

At the end of service, the waiter meets with the head waiter for the section.

The head waiter has a list of cabins numbers which have removed tips.

The head waiter simply checks the cabin number on the envelope against the list.

If the cabin has cancelled tips, the envelope goes into the pool.

If the cabin has not cancelled tips, the waiter gets to keep the envelope.

The waiter writes the cabin number on the envelope, and collects the envelopes throughout service.

The head waiter simply checks the cabin number on the envelope against the list.

Hmm, interesting. I've never heard that before.

Tom

Here's an old article (from a Carnival ship) about the people who had their tips removed.

Admittedly it's a very old procedure & it was Carnival but I'm positive that Princess does the same thing but they probably don't post it in the crew's areas any more ever since they got caught. :D:D

I have to say, I just read 'Cruising Confidential' by Brian David Bruns. He went into great detail about how hard the work is, how long the hours are, how awful & vengeful SOME bosses are and how the employees do all of this for money ... they are motivated by money, but NOT ONCE did he talk/mention/discuss tips, how their collected, how their dispersed, NOTHING. I found that to be very odd, since his book was supposed to be a tell all/reveal all.

Thanks for the correct on steward - auto fill got me again.

I agree there is controversy but I have seen on a consistent basis that the waiters in the traditional dining room put all the money into a container at their station. I have never seen them put the envelope into their pocket - too many other staff watching to get away with it. When I give extra tips to the room steward I see them put it on their cart and not into their pocket.

The staff have described how the tip pool works including extra cash tips & Princess describes the tip pool in their FAQs. I agree that Princess needs to better explain in writing how extra cash tips work. So far Princess only describes it to the passengers when asked.

Tom

Very Good Point!!!

Whenever I give my waiter etc an envelope with extra cash to look 👀 inside to see how much was in the envelope. Maybe I need to also give them a piece of paper saying how large the tip was so that they know that they got it all back??

I agree there is controversy but I have seen on a consistent basis that the waiters in the traditional dining room put all the money into a container at their station. I have never seen them put the envelope into their pocket - too many other staff watching to get away with it..

In the olden days there were some waiters who would prepare some envelopes with $5 or $10.

Put the passenger envelope in one pocket, take an envelope out of another pocket to give

to the head waiter for review...

In the olden days there were some waiters who would prepare some envelopes with $5 or $10.

Put the passenger envelope in one pocket, take an envelope out of another pocket to give

to the head waiter for review...

That’s a good one