Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

All of the comments about food waste are interesting. On princess most of the meals are pre-plated before service. I am pretty sure there are always multiple entrees left after each service. That will need to be tossed out.

I've been told on a few galley tours that contrary to what everyone thinks, entrees are cooked to order. That said, much is pre made.

I have on a couple cruises had the waiter tell me that I could not order two at once, but after I have eaten my dinner I could order again the entrée that I wanted with my first one.

it's like mommy telling her little one that the little one can have his dessert after he finished his dinner first...

• 8 months later...

The dining room experience is one thing that makes a cruise different from a land based vacation. If the dining room becomes just like a land based restaurant then the cruise vacation will lose some of it's "difference". Every cruiser is different and enjoys different features like room service, towel animals, hot tubs, etc. Just because you do not partake doesn't mean it's not good for others.

And regarding the waste of food issue, Princess or any other food provider will always have some waste, they can not run out of food at a service unless they want some bad press. They can not make one eat everything on the plate if the don't like it or it's to much. Plus they process the waste how they choose.

I agree there is too much judging and overthinking on this topic. Any business' bottom is a balance between costs and customer pleasure.

Just off the CB two weeks ago. Refused stilton for my dinner salad...and it was on the cheese platter for that night! Eye rolls for a hard boiled egg in DR breakfast. There was a turkey at the carving station in the buffet, woman next to me refused dark meat..."I'm only carving white now". This is not the Princess way...but it may be now.

I have never heard of being refused a second entree on any cruise line, and I can totally attest that we ordered "extra" on the Caribbean Princess in April. There is a charge for a second entree in the specialty restaurants, but certainly not in the MDRs.

We were told on a "VIP Galley Tour" on another line that while they cannot predict WHO will order what, they are pretty good at predicting how many of each entree will be ordered at each seating and that each restaurant will typically have between 5 and 14 "extra" covers which are then taken to the crew mess. At this point one of the servers joked that THEY never saw any of the dining room food because of course they were working when those items were transferred downstairs...and people who were able to eat at that time always knew when the "good stuff" would be sent.

Lot's of time I will order an entrée only as an appetizer sampler. This gives me the ability to try something I normally would not try. We took our daughter's on cruise with their husbands and it wasn't unusual for my one son-in-law to order two or more entrees. Some of the meals are scanty and he couldn't get filled up on just one entrée. He is a joy and was so happy to be on the cruise and watching him eat made my heart happy.

We were on the 14 day Med Crown cruise and had no problem any night having multiple main courses in the dining rooms, Often time the waiter brought us the extra main after having trouble making a choice. Lobster also we enjoyed two lobsters, again brought on by the waiter.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

I would have asked to speak to the Mat'red... or at least the HEAD Waiter... I would not accept what a waiter told me.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

There currently is no such rule that I’m aware of.

I routinely order two or three entrees at dinner in the MDR. Never been refused my request. And at 350 pounds, I can usually eat it all. (y)(y):wine-glass::wine-glass:

Speak to the Maitre D’ if you want more food. :)

Good luck, and good eating.

King

Whether at the buffet or dining room it's all the same food and people paid for it so they can eat what, where and when they want it...amazing how folks are so quick to say go to buffet for extra food, but when someone suggests go to buffet if they don't want to follow the dress code suddenly people are like it's my vacation and I will wear what I want whenever I want....so I say then people can eat whatever they want when and where they want it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app