Best cruise line for solo senior

BR47

NCL has a nightly pre-dinner get-together for all solo cruiser's, that is especially well attended on their newer ships that have a Studio Lounge. They have a member of their cruise activities staff host the event, make introduction's, conduct games, and arrange for group dinner's in specialty restaurants, as well as a sign up sheet for shore excursion's. They make an effort to draw shy or introverted attendee's into the activities. Solo's of all ages attend. It is posted on their daily...

At the end of the hour, all are invited to the main dining room to share large tables.

In my experience, no other line comes even close to matching this...:)

I would say it depends on a lot of things........there is no one set answer.......I have been cruising solo since 2003 and

99% of them have been on Celebrity. I have also been on a River Cruise with AMA Waterways and most recently I

have been able to try a Silversea cruise, which is considered a "luxury line"........I will say I have enjoyed ALL of my

cruises........Celebrity, for what they offer, has always been good....(in my opinion). The River Cruise is a different

genre.......LOVED IT.......only about 150 people.........fabulous food, tours, service,......really great. And Silversea?

Well, that was totally AWESOME:D.......I know it is quite a bit more $$ than mainstream but it was so worth it

(in my opinion).

Now, there are many folks on here who sail on NCL and from everything I have read, they love it.....so it is up to you

to read/research and see if you get a feel for the different offerings. I am in the group that doesn't really care if there

are other solo's on board. As long as folks are friendly, that matters more to me that a persons marital status. Single,

divorced, widow/married............that is just not a priority for me.

Hope you decide to give it a try...........I love cruising solo:D and am researching my next one.......I will be 60 in March

and trying to figure out which cruise to take for that milestone:D

So glad to hear you enjoyed Silversea. I'm trying my first Silversea solo in March and hoping for the same. I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean, but decided it's time for a change. Fingers crossed for some friendly passengers.

Good morning:)........I hope you LOVE IT as much as I did:D......I wrote a review if you want to read it. It is in the

Member review section. I met MANY friendly passengers:D........and the staff/crew are encouraged to interact with

the guests as well. It is a much different atmosphere than main stream cruising.

What ship and itinerary are you sailing?

I will look for your review today. Looking forward to reading another solo's perspective. I am sailing on the Silver Muse 13 night caribbean from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan on March 22nd. I'm looking forward to it, but a little nervous as well. I think it will be very different from what I'm used to, but that may be a good thing. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am in the group that doesn't really care if there

are other solo's on board. As long as folks are friendly, that matters more to me that a persons marital status. Single,

divorced, widow/married............that is just not a priority for me.

Lois I think you may be missing the point on why some posters appear to be asking about other solo cruisers. Since solo doesn't necessarily mean any specific marital status. From my reading a lot of married people will vacation alone for numerous reasons.

I have found on my past cruises, that most people are friendly enough but not necessarily interested in having someone new joining them in an activity, meal or to just sit and gab over a drink or coffee. So to find those people that would embrace widening their circle of those they came with isn't that easy, especially on a ship of 4000 people. At least not in my experience. But I feel if people are going to a solo gathering, they are probably more open to wanting others to join them for certain activities. Granted not all solo travellers want that either, since some from an already hectic busy life are just looking for quiet and solitiude but that being the case they probably wouldn't be attending a gathering that has a main purpose of introducing other cruisers. So besides the solo gathering and the CC meet and greet, I don't recall any other gathering of people at the beginning of a cruise.

So to sum it up, some of us that are researching to find the best way to meet others on the ship that will embrace a stranger as just another friend they haven't met yet.

Since my husband has passed, I live a life of quiet and solitude. Not really what I'm looking for in a vacation. I'd love to be able to laugh and enjoy other people's company.

Hi, my condolences to you.........hope you are doing well.

As to missing the point? Nope I am not, I am just giving my opinion on my sailings........I realize many people do not

think the same way as I do;).........each of us has to do what is best for ourselves. I have lived on my own for nearly

all of my life......I am quite outgoing and so I was just relaying my own feelings on things. I have met many couples

over the years and have dined with them, became friends with them as well. I am not opposed to meeting other solo

cruisers but it is not something I go searching for......but again, I know from reading many of these threads over the years,

I am in the minority and that is ok too:)....oh, I enjoy laughter and interaction with people too:)....it is just in my case,

it doesn't really matter to me if those people are solo ...and if we happen to meet on a cruise ship and you say hi, I will say hi back:)

Edited by Lois R

I am also more like Lois, I am an outgoing person and enjoy meeting other people when I travel. It doesn't make any difference if they are couples, solos, or groups of people traveling together, I just enjoy meeting others. It is nice to visit with others and learn about different areas and different people. I have made friends on many of my cruises that I would not have been able to meet if I hadn't been willing to just say hello. Most people are friendly and enjoy meeting others as well. Sure, there are a few that don't want to meet anyone, and that is OK too. Everyone should just be comfortable with who they are and simply enjoy their journey. Happy sailing.

Lois I think you may be missing the point on why some posters appear to be asking about other solo cruisers. Since solo doesn't necessarily mean any specific marital status. From my reading a lot of married people will vacation alone for numerous reasons.

I have found on my past cruises, that most people are friendly enough but not necessarily interested in having someone new joining them in an activity, meal or to just sit and gab over a drink or coffee. So to find those people that would embrace widening their circle of those they came with isn't that easy, especially on a ship of 4000 people. At least not in my experience. But I feel if people are going to a solo gathering, they are probably more open to wanting others to join them for certain activities. Granted not all solo travellers want that either, since some from an already hectic busy life are just looking for quiet and solitiude but that being the case they probably wouldn't be attending a gathering that has a main purpose of introducing other cruisers. So besides the solo gathering and the CC meet and greet, I don't recall any other gathering of people at the beginning of a cruise.

So to sum it up, some of us that are researching to find the best way to meet others on the ship that will embrace a stranger as just another friend they haven't met yet.

Since my husband has passed, I live a life of quiet and solitude. Not really what I'm looking for in a vacation. I'd love to be able to laugh and enjoy other people's company.

One way to meet people on a cruise, is to participate in as many shipboard activities as possible, such as trivia, deck games, etc...

Hey Neil:)......any cruises booked?

Hi Lois, I leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam in two weeks on the 4th. It is just for a week and I have been to all the ports, so it will just be for some R&R as I need a break from work. There is nothing more relaxing for me then to spend a week at sea. Laying in a supply of books already so I can just sit back and do nothing but enjoy. I am looking forward to the trip. Neil

Hi Lois, I leave on the Nieuw Amsterdam in two weeks on the 4th. It is just for a week and I have been to all the ports, so it will just be for some R&R as I need a break from work. There is nothing more relaxing for me then to spend a week at sea. Laying in a supply of books already so I can just sit back and do nothing but enjoy. I am looking forward to the trip. Neil

Sounds wonderful for sure:D.......have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

I recently lost my husband this past September nearing the end of our TA and we almost made it to 49 years, I did book my 2nd Solo for 2019 on the Emerald Princess. Our daughter emailed me asking to join me to Hawaii so now we will have a Mother & Daughter cruise together. I love to socialize and make new friends so found it easy to travel solo during my first time. Friends are also on this cruise which will make it easier. I told myself, I needed to just relax from the traumatic experience and what a better way then to cruise to Hawaii & back with our daughter. :)

I also found being with our friends and not shutting myself up was the best therapy for me.

Gay

Hi Lois,

It was nice. weather was good, and I caught up with my reading and relaxing for awhile. I did not do any excursions as I had been to all the islands before and there was nothing new I wanted to see. The day I left Minnesota I dodged a snow storm here so that was good.

I always fly in a day early so the next morning in Fort Lauderdale I was watching the weather channel on TV and they were showing pictures of the cars sliding into the ditch up here, so I enjoyed missing that. Then when I got back to MN the weather was above average for a couple of weeks, but now it looks like winter is here for good. Temps below 20 with wind chills below 0. Well at least I had a week of 80's to get me through the winter up here.

A week at sea is always better than a week of work, anytime.

Neil

I have to agree with Lois -- but as she said, everyone is different. It seems to me that some solos feel a little hesitant about meeting others who aren't solo, thinking they won't be welcomed. But I haven't found that to be the case. Particularly if I make it somewhat clear that I'm not looking to be joined at the hip with them for the extent of the cruise, I merely plan to enjoy having a dinner conversation with them, or a trivia game or whatever.

Your point about the number of people is a good one though. I've found it much easier as a solo to meet others on a smaller ship than on a larger one, simply because you tend to run into the same people -- and you recognize them because there are only a few hundred instead of a few thousand onboard.

• 4 weeks later...

My suggestion is to do this alone and get to talk to others. Even though I am married still I try to go on solo trips without my husband for some r and r for myself. My life has been very hecked it and I need some free time FOR ME> moi. and I like to do things alone, I find that sometimes talking to someone cause Everyone has a story to tell. and That I like my life the way its supposed to be.

My life has had may pit falls from things that happened to me over the years and that I need some "me time" and I do not always get that.. so now and then I get the "ee bee gee bees" which means Momma is going away so start packing the old broad is leaving us again!!! They know what that means. This past summer took the ole guy hubby on a trip with me, even though we had fun, it still was not a ME Time. We had a nice time. Infact Next year 2018 I have booked a trip with him again but this time I am going to a tour without him he don't like to walk much, and I like slow walking.

Do things for yourself. I enjoyed myself on Viking River.. we loved it.. they do have single rooms but price is still the same plus additional 550.00 more for single rate. so much better than paying double the rate. I know you will have a good time and have fun isn't this what lifes all about?

enjoy your freedom... talk to everyone write a journal about who you met.what they did before they started the cruise, everyone has a story to tell.. tell me yours? instant message me. PS Lois if you ever want to travel with someone let me know I am willing to travel with ya.

I have been travelling (mostly solo) on 2-3 cruises per year since about 2000. My preferred line is Celebrity, but I have had no problem meeting people on any line. There are many daily activities, as well as shared large tables for supper, so just go out there, put on a brave face, introduce yourself and join in the fun!

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
i am considering my first solo cruise. What is the best cruise line for a solo senior that is somewhat an introvert?

Thanks.

I have cruised six times as a "solo" I I spent 12 days recently on the Queen Mary 2 and loved it so much I will be doing the same trip this November for 13 days. After being on the Queen Mary 2 I cannot see myself going on any other ship I had an amazing time and everyone was so friendly. You will not feel out of place.

Other than the fact that you usually pay double for a veranda (or higher) category cabin, I have really enjoyed my solo cruises on HAL. The crew are always very friendly and other passengers have been too. I eat by myself in the main dining room, but could share with others if feeling like meeting new people. I can socialize, or not, as I wish! I'll be solo on the Oosterdam in February from San Diego rt to the Mexican Riviera and am especially looking forward to BB Kings and other live music....can't wait!!

I have been on around 40 cruises, mostly single. I travel all over the world, and love any cruise I am on.

I only once had an experience that bugged me - had another lady get my room number and she kept calling me twice or more a day wanting me to do things with her. (I am a lady traveler)

I did once or twice but really like doing what I want when I want, and did not need her to plan my time. she was ok, but not my ideal compainion for a week. She was bugged when I asked her to not call, I would speak to her when I saw her, finally she seemed to find someone else to cling to - so my point, do not give out your room number, I think she got it off my card or maybe at the meet and greet.

I never find it difficult to find someone to talk to if I want. but also enjoy sitting looking at the view or reading all by myself.

Join a table with your lunch or breafast ask people about themselves, where they are going etc, but do not feel you have to be alone all the time.

Being solo, I usually pay for 2, if I wanted to have someone with me - there are lots of people that would come if I was paying their way.... NOT

Being solo is not a bad thing!!!