Cartagena - tour with Dora or on its own?

Maksim

We are on Coral Princess full transit Panama Canal in January. Trying to figure out if we should do Cartagena tour with Dora or on our own. The tour sounds great, yet it’s only 4 hours and I am concerned that we’ll not have enough time to browse around, visit recommended museums, etc. and spend some time in old town. At the same time we see more with the tour. It’s $65 per person vs on our own it will probably cost us no more than $50 for both using taxi. It’s not even the cost, just trying to maximize our time and enjoy beautiful city. Any recommendations are welcome.

We went on a tour with Dora in late April 2018. Her tour takes you to the highest point in Cartagena to get a very good overview of the city (and it is larger than we thought it would be). If you tour on your own you will not get the insights she can provide. She told us how much to expect to pay for certain items and where to buy certain things and where not to buy them. She loves her home town. My recommendation is to spend a bit more and do her tour.

• 3 weeks later...

According to her web site, Dora will customize the tour for you.

We will be in Cartagena in December. We are most interested in the fort and the Old Town. In the old town we want to visit the gold museum, the history/inquisition museum and the emerald museum. We may also shop and visit the main square and smaller shopping streets. We are comfortable in Spanish(although not fluent) so we can bargain with taxis and shop owners.

IF you are not comfy in that atmosphere I'd take a tour.