Best time of year for British Isles ?

bobo57

Hello!

I'm wanting to cruise the British Isles in 2020. Any recommendations for the best time of year weather-wise?

Thanks!

Cruises are only offered late April though October or November. I highly recommend taking one in August when the weather is usually nice and you can see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55). On our mid-August 2013 cruise we did dress in layers and were prepared for rain but didn't experience any rain at all. It was one of our favorite cruises.

We did it last year, mid-May, and the weather was awesome for the entire cruise. However, folks we met in Scotland said the rain was blowing sideways a week before. We even had a bright sunny day at Stonehenge the day we finished the cruise.

No matter what, you'll enjoy the cruise and the ports. Excellent choice.

I've cruised twice now to the British Isles in May and August. The weather in May is generally good. Weather in August was even better though. We had very comfortable temperatures, only rain for maybe 2 hours max and the seas were incredibly calm. Wind was much less than in May also. As others have mentioned, the Tattoo in August is a fantastic experience.

May is more changeable from my experience. I arrived to record low temps and left in record high temps (and that was uncomfortable in a country that isn't prepared for it.).

We went in the beginning of July 2016 on the Crystal Symphony . The weather was variable. We often needed light jackets and, at times, rain gear. For that cruise, we didn’t take a balcony because we didn’t think we’d use it. That was a good decision. It would have been a waste of money. We had a lovely time on that cruise. You’ll enjoy it whenever you go, just pack for all sorts of weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sis and I went early August especially for the Tattoo (which was awesome). The weather everywhere, including London, Guernsey, both Irelands and Scotland was nice to cool to cold and windy. One of our days in Scotland it literally rained all day. I mentioned it and a nice Scottish fellow said, "Well, you are in Scotland." But, that was the only rain.

On the day of the Tattoo it was perfect walking around weather. Which to me is sunny but not too hot. However we were ill-prepared for the Tattoo. As it got darker it got cooler and windy in the bleachers. The sweatshirts we were wearing didn't cut it. I ended up buying a blanket.

Almost forgot. We skipped Dublin entirely as the wind was blowing so hard the Captain didn't want to dock, thought it would be too dangerous.

Needless to say: wear layers and be prepared for it to go either way. But, it was all so amazing and wonderful!! I would love to do it again.

We went the end of August for the Tattoo in 2010. The weather was lovely with no rain- just cool. The seas were rough so we missed Guernsey because it is a tender port. We are planning on going back next August because we loved it so much.

When you are looking at itineraries, you need to know that you usually travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh for the Tattoo because Edinburgh is a tender port. We are taking the over night Glasgow for this reason.

We went at the end of August last year. It was great. In London, Buckingham Palace was open for tours, which it is usually only from the end of July through September. We had great weather everywhere except for Dublin.

• 1 month later...

All in all, May to September should be the best time for cruising the British Isles. Summer months could get busy, but, well, weather and events make up for some inconvenient crowds :) Check out some seasonal tips in the UK and UK + Ireland. It seems that all the personal stories and editorial content lead to similar answers. I would aim for May-June and September to catch the nice weather and avoid crazy crowds.

• Like 1

We will be cruising late August through mid September, doing a WB TA. I have read that we should be sure to pack for layering, which is fine, I'm just wondering what weight layers I should bring. We were in Alaska last May and packed long sleeve tops, fleece vest and a light weight quilted jacket and rainproof jacket. Wound up having to buy a heavier coat with temps from the low 40's! With the weight limits on luggage I don't want to overpack. What's been your experience??

You can't predict the weather on a week by week or day by day basis. You can only look at past trends. Based on that' date=' late summer is best....but you could still encounter horrible rain.[/quote']

In England the driest month often turns out to be June, its not the warmest, but that is when people try to plan weddings.

Scotland is a few weeks behind England with weather, and the Tattoo in August is so worth seeing, and if the Fringe is on the same time then that's fun as well. Lots of street life. We have done it twice.recently.

We did the June 6 sailing this year and weather was perfect for cruise and five days pre cruise in London except for one day. I have a friend who did the same cruise in early May and she said it was cold and rainy at the Scotland stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the June 6 sailing this year and weather was perfect for cruise and five days pre cruise in London except for one day. I have a friend who did the same cruise in early May and she said it was cold and rainy at the Scotland stops.

You

may

have heard the old saying '

Ne'er cast a clout till May

be

out

'.

That's why.

This is England, you have to expect it to be cold and wet! That said we are currently experiencing a hot spell after having had a foot of snow about 8 weeks ago! You just get what you get and run with it.

• 2 weeks later...
We went 6/28-6/12 and had unseasonably warm, sunny weather! We even came back with a tan! Everywhere said that’s highly unusual, though.

We were also on the June 30th sailing, and we had sunny skies for most of the trip including four days pre-cruise in London. All our guides said they haven’t had a stretch of weather like that in decades![emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The last two Junes have been hot and sunny, so if I was to gamble that's when I'd book.

But you know, it's the UK, it could be blisteringly hot or it could be snowing or blowing a gale. Who knows! Especially in Scotland it is not unusual to 'experience all four seasons in one day'

I had a great British Isle cruise last May. It rained only 2 days and both of those were occasional rather than an all day gig. Temps were nice and by that I mean just a light jacket at times.

• Like 1

Come to Ireland ... any part... we only get soft rain. Good for the complexion i'm told.

Would love to! I want to visit Ireland and Scotland. Always been a dream of mine, and I'm not getting any younger! lol