What are the best cabin choices for a family of 4- 2 kids, 2 adults

Fortun8

I have been searching different ships going to Alaska and trying to find a balcony or deluxe balcony or mini suite

for my daughter and her husband and two children under 10 and over 4. What kinds of cabins are best so everyone has

enough room to sleep and to move around when getting ready for dinner, a tour, or for the night? We haven't found one

that has a queen bed or two twins moved together and a sofa sleeper. What categories do you choose? We don't want to

book multiple cabins, just one us and one for the 4 of them. And a kids club for the kids on sea days. Thank you. No

Disney this time.

Edited by Fortun8
specifics wrong

RCI has family staterooms (standard staterooms - not suites) that are designated to hold up to six. They are configured with the standard king be (two twins together), a queen fold out couch, and a small bunk room that has a lower single and upper Murphy bed that sleeps two. The stateroom is well sized and has plenty of storage. There is only one bathroom, however, but that did not pose any issues with us when we have stayed in them.

Although they are categorized for six, we have used them for four & five in our experience.

There are plenty of cabins for 4...and tons of cabins for 2....shouldn't have an issue. Look at the deck plans for your ship...they show how many each cabin will sleep...there is a "legend" with stars, or triangles, etc....showing what kind of bedding is in each cabin. NEVER book without the deck plans in front of you!

A standard cabin for 4 is tight...not a lot of walking space. A balcony might be best...that bit of added space can save one's sanity!

I don't know if you NEED connecting cabins or not....connecting cabins will have arrows between them on the deck plans

There are plenty of cabins for 4...and tons of cabins for 2....shouldn't have an issue. Look at the deck plans for your ship...they show how many each cabin will sleep...there is a "legend" with stars, or triangles, etc....showing what kind of bedding is in each cabin. NEVER book without the deck plans in front of you!

A standard cabin for 4 is tight...not a lot of walking space. A balcony might be best...that bit of added space can save one's sanity!

I don't know if you NEED connecting cabins or not....connecting cabins will have arrows between them on the deck plans

Thank you cb but we are traveling to Alaska on Royal Princess next year and want to have parent bed and two kids in a fold out sofa and that option doesn't seem to exist. So we thought of going on another line but travel agent says we will have to take two cabins for them and we don't want two children under 10 to be in a cabin by themselves. Even with grandparents in another cabin next door. We picked this one because it is the 50th year celebration for Princess in Alaska. Ideas for mini suites or balcony deluxe cabins? Thanks

Edited by Fortun8
additional detail

If the parents want to sleep in a queen Bed together on a princess cruise, they need a mini suite, family suite or 2 connecting Cabins. Otherwise everyone is sleeping in twin beds, 2 bunks.

My family of 4 does an inside cabin every Christmas and we each get out our twin bed. Been doing it for years! The kids take the bunks. I love and prefer the mini suites but we only do it for special occasions. Love the ocean air but we’d rather vacation more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the mini-suites on Royal Princess don't offer a foldout bed and upper bunk, maybe you should look at another Princess ship which does offer that. You seem to have a choice of doing Alaska on Royal Princess with your family in less than ideal accommodations, or choosing Island, Coral or Golden that do have the cabin type you need. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

• 3 weeks later...

Carnival Legend regular balcony cabins will have a large bed, a sofa bed (daybed style) and a bunk over the daybed. I’ve sailed many times as a triple on one of her sisters with my Mom and Sister.

No matter which line you choose bring some heavy magnetic hooks. We used these on the walls so that our wet jackets could dry faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our kids are still ok to share a sofa bed so standard room for 4 works for us. On Allure, we had a room with a pullman and a sofa bed, which was great as each kid got their own bed. Coming up, 2 of our rooms have the sofa bed for the kids, and for one cruise we also got 2 connecting interiors. This was similar price as ocean view, but it means 2 washrooms.

Carnivals Ocean Suites have a big bed for the adults and a large pull out sofa sleeper for the other two guests, (no upper bunks), if that is what you’re looking for. It also has an extra big balcony, nice whirlpool bathtub, double sinks, and walk in closet. And it’s one of the cheaper suites, there are several above it like the Junior Suite, Mini Suite, and Grand Suite. And they have an excellent kids program. But if you’re wanting to stay with Princess you could book two insides that connect and it would be cheaper. Book an adult and child in each cabin. Then sleep however you want. As long as there’s a door connecting the cabins that you can keep open you’re okay. With the door open you can keep an eye on the kids and this way you have two bathrooms and lots of extra space. I hope you can work things out. Hope this helps. :)

• 7 months later...

Thanks everyone for your help with this issue. I think we should have booked a family suite for the 6 of us but we choose

to stay on the Royal Princess because it is the cruise line's 50th year sailing to Alaska and will be some sort of celebration. And we like the newer ships and the choices of things to do. Our only complaint is the small balconies on the Royal and Regal.