Dress Code

gkgk123ca

There probably are not that many folks that have been on the holiday Antarctic cruise, and they aren't monitoring this sticky. Before I post this on the board, does anyone have any (helpful) advice to my query about Antarctic landing days and scheduling of formal nights?

Poster Chairsin definitely took the holiday Antarctic cruise, I think it was in 2016. You could perhaps search for ther thread to see if landing days and formal schedules were discussed. Probably more time efficient to just post a new thread though.

Thank you so much for the reply Isklaar! I did read Chairsin's thread two days ago, and she did not mention a formal night on a landing day. What I think is slightly unusual for this 2019 voyage is that entire holiday season occurs during the South Georgia/Antarctic leg. I will post a new thread on the board. (Edited to add: I just read a couple more "dress code in the Antarctic" threads. I think I'll skip the post, as I don't really care to subject myself to the abuse I just witnessed on the other threads just for asking a question. I'll find some way to stuff a more formal outfit for each of us into our luggage. The other pax will just have to cope with seeing that one outfit at every formal night.)

Hi Kate

Actually I had to return to my thread to reacquaint myself with our schedule. We actually did the reverse of your upcoming trip - we did Valparaiso to BA so it formal nights fell on different days. Nonetheless Christmas was the day we were in Punta Arenas and New Years Eve was when we were in the Antarctic and did landings at the Chilean military Outpost. Both were formal nights. In Punta Arenas we did a boat excursion to Magdalena though some Seabourn passengers did the 11 hour trek to The Torres del Paine. On both nights nights we dined at the TK Grill in full tux and long gown though some were less dressed up most I saw followed the dress code (which really only means no jeans and a sport coat for the gentlemen). I really don’t think it was onerous for anyone - after all you are certainly going to want to shower and change after being out during the day so no more difficult to put on a slightly dressy outfit rather than a more casual one.

Isklaar,

I can’t believe you remembered we did the Holiday Antarctica Cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Isklaar,

I can’t believe you remembered we did the Holiday Antarctica Cruise.

Chairsin, I only remembered it because I was on Quest a couple of weeks before. Having just recently disembarked and Antarctica being my bucket list cruise I was green with envy :D

I recognize that some get tired of the dress code issues. I think we have to remember that many just want to know what to expect if they have not SB previously. Let's be patient and just answer their questions. The real answer is that there is a broad continuum of dress to be observed on formal nights. On our last voyage (Ovation Baltic June 2018) we saw ball gowns and tuxes and subdued little black dresses (me) and coats and ties. Everyone looked great.

It's just the sheer volume of clothing & "stuff" that has me worried: trekking poles, thermals, ski pants, waterproof pants, hats, gloves, boots (not for landings, but deck wear), warm knit pants, sweaters, thinsulate vests, sport coat, dress shoes, dress shirts, formal wear for me, binoculars, cameras, laptop, videocam, warm weather clothing (enough for 5 days pre-cruise in BA): capris, ss tops, ss shirts, warm weather khakis, sandals, walking shoes, sun hats. And I have to plan for enough room to carry back the parkas, hats and poofs we get from Seabourn. I was hoping to get all the warm weather clothing, electronics/cameras and toiletries into two 16' carry on underseat rollers, 1 camera bag, one checked 21" roller. Then all the cold weather stuff into one big pullman and ship it forward (and back).

First world problems. I need to get a grip and worry about something that's actually important.

Kate,

As you are going to bring a dress anyway - don’t sweat it and just add some sparkly accessories and a pair of heels. The one thing my DH and I miss about having lived in DC for so many years is dressing up so we tend to dress to the nines while on Seabourn. But as I said a nice dress (or dressy top and slacks) for you and a blazer with a collared shirt will be fine and certainly won’t overwhelm your packing list. As to the parkas we left ours and donated them to the crew. I brought over dozen dresses, had many changes of casual day clothes, cold weather gear including our own puffers and rain jackets, hiking clothes and boots (we were 10 days precruise in The Torres del Paine and Easter Island) and yes a few warm weather outfits for days in BA and Santiago. All of my clothes fit into a 25 inch suitcase and a carry on bag. And remember Seabourn does a very good job with laundry or there is the self service laundry room.

I recommend a simple black dress with sparkly jewelry or scarf. I've worn that sort of thing and felt that I fit in with other passengers. My husband brought a dark suit, but could have just as easily worn his navy sport coat and a tie.

• 1 month later...

Just a question regarding acceptable women's pants for after 6pm. As a first time Seabourn cruiser (Antarctica and Patagonia) I am feeling a little apprehensive regarding dress standards. I read that pants are acceptable, but does that include "regular" black pants, or do they need to be "evening" style black pants? Also, are 7/8 pants and heels acceptable? Or do they need to be full length? I really just want to fit in!

4 hours ago, russianrex said:

I read that pants are acceptable, but does that include "regular" black pants, or do they need to be "evening" style black pants? Also, are 7/8 pants and heels acceptable? Or do they need to be full length? 

I've worn 7/8 pants with heels ans didn't feel out of place.

Types of black pants I would NOT wear:  yoga pants, track pants, sweat pants, leggings, jeggings, jeans (the denim kind that look like jeans)

Types of black pants one could possibly wear: twill pants (the kind sold in women's shops as jeans that actually don't have a bit of denim and come in various colors).  Those largely depend on how they are being worn (e.g. top, shoes, etc.) and sometimes who is wearing them.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:42 AM, jenidallas said:

Types of black pants one could possibly wear: twill pants (the kind sold in women's shops as jeans that actually don't have a bit of denim and come in various colors).  Those largely depend on how they are being worn (e.g. top, shoes, etc.) and sometimes who is wearing them.

I would probably disagree on leggings as they are my go to pant on many occasions because of my height and body style. In the US, Chico's makes amazing leggings that are both chic and comfortable. Agree that yoga pants are best reserved for day wear. Just trying to help and not be nit picky, I promise! We are on the 2018 24 day cruise, so I'm anxiously scanning all boards for tips on our upcoming trip.

5 hours ago, mamapirk said:

I would probably disagree on leggings as they are my go to pant on many occasions because of my height and body style. In the US, Chico's makes amazing leggings that are both chic and comfortable. Agree that yoga pants are best reserved for day wear. Just trying to help and not be nit picky, I promise! We are on the 2018 24 day cruise, so I'm anxiously scanning all boards for tips on our upcoming trip.

I wear the Chico’s slim fit (same cut as their jeggings but not denim) in the evening on Seabourn.  When I think of leggings, I’m referring to the Athleta/Lululemon running tights type that one might wear to yoga or our running day errands.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, SLSD said:

LOL Carolfay! I've often thought that the term "fanny pack" was extraordinarily de classe. I can imagine the response from the British travelers.

Hmmm.  They might speak about the wonders of their "bum pack" which is a term not much improved over "fanny pack."  DW and I spent many fun evenings at a friend's home in England where the conversation was often about our two languages :).  Needless to say there was a lot of laughter among sips of "claret!"

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hmmm.  They might speak about the wonders of their "bum pack" which is a term not much improved over "fanny pack."  DW and I spent many fun evenings at a friend's home in England where the conversation was often about our two languages :).  Needless to say there was a lot of laughter among sips of "claret!"

Hank

You should try sitting with some of us Australians when the conversation turns to "Thongs" and how many pairs and in what colours to pack for a holiday.:classic_biggrin:

Julie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a very formal white tie event. Never again! Men had to wear white tie and tails and women had to wear floor length gowns, elbow length white gloves, and high heels. I hate wearing high heels and long gowns.  The last time I wore them together, I got the heel stuck in the gown's hem.  Everyone looked at me as I fell and broke my leg. Not a fun evening. Landed in the hospital.  If I had been wearing flats and a short skirt, it would have been a better time. After reading some of the postings on this very long thread,  it seemed like it was a discussion of the white tie event.  That event was in 1965.  Time changes how people dress. Insisting on hanging on to formal nights is living in the past.  Black tie optional?  Optional means your choice./  If you want to wear formal attire, then do it. However, just because you like dressing up, don't insist that others do it too. If you stare at what other people wear, it only bothers you.  Most people dress well, wear comfortable attire, and don't look at what other people wear. It is your cruise.  You may choose your own attire.  Most people like to fit in.  If you happen to see a person in jeans, look away.  Don't stare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jenidallas said:

🎼🎵🎶

This is the thread that doesn't end.
Yes, it goes on and on my friend.
Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was,
And now they are still posting it just because.... (repeat)

🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵

And if this thread isn't enough for you there are HUNDREDS  of others with the exact same topic, the exact same posts, the exact same differences of opinion.

No doubt there has been a lot of slippage in dress codes since I first sailed on Seabourn 18 years ago. We will go on our 10th Seabourn cruise this April, our first repositioning trip, Barbados to Lisbon. We have always travelled to other places for a couple of weeks before or after our cruise, and carrying  formal attire was always a burden. Traveling for a month , with formal attire to be used once or twice seemed silly, but we always did it. But on our last two cruises (32 days NZ to Bali,  and then 14 days in Alaska) I actually counted the men in tuxedos in the dining room. It was never more than 30%!  I was among the minority. The problem is that if you DO wear a tux, you're likely to be seated at a table where no one else, or one other guy, is. That happened at all four of the black-tie dinners on the 32 day cruise. I looked and felt silly...overdressed.  So, the next trip, my wife will wear cocktail attire and I will wear a dark blue blazer, dark slacks, white shirt with cufflinks, and a dark tie. I liked the old days when everyone dressed appropriately for a black tie event, but when they made it "optional", the wheels came off. Those glamorous old days are, sadly,  gone.