How much of a tip for Longshoreman?

inspfitz

For the love of love,don't neglect the baggage handler that takes your bag off of the flight you are using to begin your vacation. Especially if they are using TLC. There has got to be a line somewhere.

Exactly. A half a dozen folks handle the luggage, but the only ones that get tipped are the ones making 6 figures. Seems crazy to me, and completely blows up the 'I tip anyone who provides me with a service' line of argument.

Ok so don't tip, no big deal. I will because it's just how I was brought up but I can understand what you said. Yes those jobs are nearly impossible to get for an outsider. All the good manual labor jobs are kinda like that though. Longshoremen aren't the only jobs like that.

Imagine tha t, Nepotism. :EEKs: oH my goodness. Oh that this is the only place in our business, social, world that nepotism exists. Well, gee , take a a look around you. IN THIS WORLD, IT IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT you know but Very often Who you know. I seriously doubt this concept comes as a surprise to anyone.[

Everyone here surely has a friend, relative or casual acquanitance who benefitted hugely due to whom they know.

So true. it really has become a world of who you know to get that coveted job.

Ok so don't tip, no big deal. I will because it's just how I was brought up but I can understand what you said. Yes those jobs are nearly impossible to get for an outsider. All the good manual labor jobs are kinda like that though. Longshoremen aren't the only jobs like that. Imagine tha t, Nepotism. :EEKs: oH my goodness. Oh that this is the only place in our business, social, world that nepotism exists. Well, gee , take a a look around you. IN THIS WORLD, IT IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT you know but Very often Who you know. I seriously doubt this concept comes as a surprise to anyone.[ Everyone here surely has a friend, relative or casual acquanitance who benefitted hugely due to whom they know.

but I'm very glad that there are still a few blue collar jobs around that provide a middle class living for someone willing to work, even though they might have a limited education.

I guess you haven't had to hire a plumber or electrician or carpenter or one of MANY blue collars jobs that pay better than most white collar jobs.

Or look at the pay in the auto making industry.

To a Brit this whole thread shows the insanity of the US tipping culture. It has got out of control !! Any job where a person just does what they are paid/ contracted to do, and does no go above and beyond does not need tipping.

This is so true. I always tip where it is customary here in the states, including the longshoremen people, but things are way out of control. At nail salons, for instance, they pretty much let you know that if you pay your entire bill, plus tip, in cash, they will do a better job. I finally realized they are not wanting to pay taxes and I say to myself "wait a minute, I pay taxes, why shouldn't they?"! The first time I went to England I tipped 20% in all of the restaurants and later realized this was probably a huge waste of money; am I correct?

At nail salons, for instance, they pretty much let you know that if you pay your entire bill, plus tip, in cash, they will do a better job.
I've never had this said to me and if I were ever told this, there is no way I would go back to that salon. Wondering, does your salon give you the bill before you receive service?

I guess you haven't had to hire a plumber or electrician or carpenter or one of MANY blue collars jobs that pay better than most white collar jobs.

Or look at the pay in the auto making industry.

While you are at it, wonder how much the auto mechanic down the street who fixes your car when the warning lights go on earns ? They make a decent living, one hopes.

Not my worry or particular interest what people not my friends or relatives earn. I only hope people are paid adequately for the work they do

Edited by sail7seas

While you are at it, wonder how much the auto mechanic down the street who fixes your car when the warning lights go on earns ? They make a decent living, one hopes.

Not my worry or particular interest what people not my friends or relatives earn. I only hope people are paid adequately for the work they do

There's the spirit

I've never had this said to me and if I were ever told this, there is no way I would go back to that salon. Wondering, does your salon give you the bill before you receive service?

No, but several I've been to have a small sign at the cash register that says 5% discount for cash payments, and they ask if you will pay in cash in a very encouraging manner.

So it’s not for good service it’s extortion.

Yup.

I sailed out of Canaveral two years ago. Longshoremen were more worried about a tip than moving my bags. Came at us with a sign saying "We accept tips." That blew any chance of me giving them one.

The tags were removed from two of the three bags we had. We had to go to an unclaimed bag room, full of luggage from others who I imagine also didn't tip.

Yup.

I sailed out of Canaveral two years ago. Longshoremen were more worried about a tip than moving my bags. Came at us with a sign saying "We accept tips." That blew any chance of me giving them one.

The tags were removed from two of the three bags we had. We had to go to an unclaimed bag room, full of luggage from others who I imagine also didn't tip.

geez ! what port was that in ?

Yup.

Look on the bright side. At least your luggage was on the ship :).

Hank

The first time I went to England I tipped 20% in all of the restaurants and later realized this was probably a huge waste of money; am I correct?

In a word, yes. Many restaurants now include a service charge in your bill anyway. If they haven't deserved it, I will refuse to pay.

In mainland Europe it is also not usual to tip. In a taxi or restaurant I will sometimes round up the bill to the nearest pound or euro, whatever but it is not expected.

geez ! what port was that in ?

Don't know about lazyart but in our case it was Miami. Following advice on here about the extortionate salaries these guys are on, we did not tip this year. One of our bags turned up OK. The other was in the baggage room minus the tag and damaged beyond repair. Coincidence? Who knows.

Don't know about lazyart but in our case it was Miami. Following advice on here about the extortionate salaries these guys are on, we did not tip this year. One of our bags turned up OK. The other was in the baggage room minus the tag and damaged beyond repair. Coincidence? Who knows.
wow !

I'll go out on a limb and Not coincidence. Seems extreme behavior and made me curious to the point that next time I cruise I might do an experiment with a piece of luggage.

wow !

I'll go out on a limb and Not coincidence. Seems extreme behavior and made me curious to the point that next time I cruise I might do an experiment with a piece of luggage.

LOL. From some reports it seems you might be fishing out of of the dock. Good luck!