Do You Disinfect (Sanitize) Your Cabin Before You Unpack?

need2cruisesoon

No but I do wash (rewash) all of our clothes when we get home in our own washing machine :) That might be strange to some people but a lot of the on board washing is done in giant washing machines with mesh bags separating many people's clothes.

I even have a separate washing machine at home to wash our dogs gear and my daughter's horse rugs :)- there is no way those are going in our usual machine!

No but I do wash my hands all the time on ship. I try to not touch my face. There are just to many surfaces to worry about every single one I touch.

We sailed after a Noro outbreak and it was eye opening, as in no self service ANYTHING until the end of the cruise. Very weird in the buffet. According to the crew at different levels of illness they have different levels of precaution. Everything was sticky from the cleaner they used. Could not enter until you washed your hands not just the sing song washy washy but cones and ropes set up

Not even salt shakers on tables. Nothing extra in rooms no books and "magazines"

Since first encounter with noro virus , we swipe in

every cabin or hotel room using Clorox wipe's on every handle , switch and most importantly , the TV Remote ( research shows it to be the most germ infested item in any cabin or hotel).

Lets face it , stewards are in a rush to prepare cabin for us so don't count on disinfecting .

we didn't until we started cruising with our then 3 yo. If an adult can be trusted not to put his hands in his mouth after touching a whole bunch of stuff and to wash his/her hands properly and often, a kid cannot.

So, now we use Lysol wipes on the plane and in the ship stateroom. And yes, the wipes turn totally black after I wipe the surfaces in the bathroom and in the cabin itself.

And for those who asked if we are afraid of noro... YES. We've had it, it's not fun, the kid was terrified of puking and dehydrated. Who would volunteer to have it?

Our friend was patient zero (noro) on one of the cruises and spent 5 days out of a 10 days in confinement in his cabin. I doubt that the cabin was properly disinfected after he disembarked.

No, I have a healthy immune system.

I thought so too, until my kid went to school and started bringing a whole lotta of germs, bugs, viruses and other crap from other kids home. I hadn't had any colds/flu/URI/etc. for years prior to that. Once he started school, I found out my immune system is not all that healthy after all.

Are you going to walk around the ship disinfecting everything else that you touch on the ship? Or maybe wearing gloves whenever you leave your disinfected cabin? I figure that everyone needs to contact a good bunch of dirty surfaces every day to improve body's your germ fighting ability.

DON

I knew this thread would go this way. Some people have been a little cruel here, but when you have a life-threatening illness and a compromised immune system, you take precautions. I do what I can to stay as safe as possible. Please don't call me (or anyone else) a germaphobe - perhaps you could just say a prayer that I never get sick. It could jeopardize my life or at the very least, put me in the hospital. :(

I thought so too, until my kid went to school and started bringing a whole lotta of germs, bugs, viruses and other crap from other kids home. I hadn't had any colds/flu/URI/etc. for years prior to that. Once he started school, I found out my immune system is not all that healthy after all.

I have been through that phase and am well out the other side. In addition, I worked in a primary healthcare centre where I was coughed and sneezed on pretty much daily. I haven't worked for a few years but no-one has told my immune system!

we didn't until we started cruising with our then 3 yo. If an adult can be trusted not to put his hands in his mouth after touching a whole bunch of stuff and to wash his/her hands properly and often, a kid cannot.

So, now we use Lysol wipes on the plane and in the ship stateroom. And yes, the wipes turn totally black after I wipe the surfaces in the bathroom and in the cabin itself.

And for those who asked if we are afraid of noro... YES. We've had it, it's not fun, the kid was terrified of puking and dehydrated. Who would volunteer to have it?

Our friend was patient zero (noro) on one of the cruises and spent 5 days out of a 10 days in confinement in his cabin. I doubt that the cabin was properly disinfected after he disembarked.

What surfaces, the floor.

What surfaces, the floor.

the nightstands, the table, the shelves, the lamp bases, the phone. Everything in the bathroom.

Everything that can be wiped, gets wiped.

And believe me, we aren't really germaphobes - we have two dogs that sleep in the bed with us, and drag lots of dirt and mud into the house, and we aren't afraid of regular dirt. But kids are so good at spreading the germs around... They cough, they sneeze, they wipe the snot on their friends, they puke, they don't wash their hands like ever....

DS did get sick on a cruise once, with a high fever and horrible cough, and if you are at home you just deal with it - it's just regular life, but when you are on a once a year vacation and you paid a ton of money to go to nice places, and now your kid is miserable and can't breathe, and y'all can't sleep at night, and you no longer care about going to a nice beach and just want to get a couple of hours of sleep - that's different. Being sick at home and being sick while cruising are two different animals. So, we take precautions - and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are trying to convince me that I am a fool for doing so - you are wasting your time.