Question about Medications

BulldogBob53

Scheduled substances (most of these are narcotics) must be in their original containers. Any other medications can be in any container you choose.

The "original container" rule is a state law in most states, and definitely is in Florida. Also, you cannot bring any scheduled substances into the US unless it is in the original container. If you are concerned about size, ask your pharmacy if they can provide a small container that will hold what you need for the vacation WITH the appropriate label.

As to using a weekly pill box for other medications, while it is legal, it may not be the best alternative. If you do this, please be sure that you have a list of your medications and dosages--should something happen on the cruise resulting in you needing medical care, your nearest and dearest may have no idea what your meds are! You'd be amazed how many people come into a doctor's office or an ER and give med info like "I take my yellow blood pressure pill every morning."

Do medications have to be taken in their original container that is labeled or can you take them in your weekly "pill box?"

Thanks for any help.

This question comes up once in awhile here on CC.

Most people will say no and they take them in anything other than the container they came in.

Chances are you will never be asked about them in your travels.

We try and take them in the original container.

Especially narcotics/controlled substance's.

Here’s what the US Customs & Border Protection states:

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

As Colo Cruiser wrote chances are you won’t be checked & I also bring things such as narcotic painkillers in their original containers. For other medications not in their original containers I take a photo on my phone of the prescription’s label.

How to follow this regulation is an individual decision about what to do.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Some pharmacies can provide a suitable list of prescriptions. Mine doesn't, but does supply a receipt for each prescription that is suitable. These fit comfortably under the daily boxes of my 4x7 pill box.

I have only been questioned at an airport. I don't recall any such scrutiny getting off a ship. But it does make sense to have the prescriptions, especially if one uses injectables.

I always carry my prescriptions as well as supplements in their original containers. I've never been asked about it, but if I was all of the pertinent information is there. I, also, have a list of medications/supplements that I take in my wallet, so that if something happens to me my husband or traveling companion can inform medical personnel of what I'm taking and how much.

Reading these boards for years, never seen anyone having any issues with ship personnel or customs. That being said, you have to get to the cruise center first. Most state laws require ANY prescription to be carried in the original bottle with a legible label.

A couple years ago we were walking through the airport pre cruise and my husband had a stroke. Long story short - medics, ambulance, hospital. It was easy to hand the nurses in the emergency room the ziplock bag of his medications. That was 4 years and about 7 cruises ago. Always travel with original bottles. Cruise insurance a must too.

Do medications have to be taken in their original container that is labeled or can you take them in your weekly "pill box?"

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately I take multiple medications daily. (My wife, on the other hand, takes half of a baby aspirin daily. I am soooooooooooooo jealous!) I take almost all of my meds in my "old man containers" which are the daily pill deals. Sadly, I also have a totally trashed back and take 10mg Norco which is prescribed at 3 times per day. (My doctor doesn't worry about me as I have had the same amount prescribed for many years. He says if I was prone to be a problem I would be wanting vastly more per day by now. He was amazed when I was briefly prescribed 4 per day and came back to tell him that was too many. :))

That prescription travels with me in the original prescription bottle that verifies it is legal and prescribed. My advice is to never take chances with a prescription of that sort. Period. The authorities who deal with pain killers, etc. are notorious for having zero sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.

Japan is really picky about this sort of thing, however I don't personally know anyone who has actually tried to comply or had a problem by not complying...……………...

Importing medication into Japan is subject to control by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law and the Customs Law, and regulated by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

When you bring medication into Japan for personal use, depending the type and amount of the medication, you may have to apply for a Yakkan Shoumei. Yakkan Shoumei is a kind of import certificate that you must apply for and receive before you leave for Japan. This certificate must be declared to the officer at customs when you arrive in Japan. Applications for the Yakkan Shoumei should be submitted to the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan.

If your medication is classified as a narcotic by Japan, then you are required to obtain advanced permission from the Narcotics Control Department at the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/medication-info-japan.html

Japan is really picky about this sort of thing, however I don't personally know anyone who has actually tried to comply or had a problem by not complying...……………...

Importing medication into Japan is subject to control by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law and the Customs Law, and regulated by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

When you bring medication into Japan for personal use, depending the type and amount of the medication, you may have to apply for a Yakkan Shoumei. Yakkan Shoumei is a kind of import certificate that you must apply for and receive before you leave for Japan. This certificate must be declared to the officer at customs when you arrive in Japan. Applications for the Yakkan Shoumei should be submitted to the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan.

If your medication is classified as a narcotic by Japan, then you are required to obtain advanced permission from the Narcotics Control Department at the Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare closest to your airport of arrival in Japan.

We did a series of cruises around Japan that resulted in us carryinb more than a 60 day supply of prescription meds. We did apply and have our Yakkan Shoumei with us. We do not carry any narcotics. It was all done via e mail and while we had no issues with customs whatsoever, we felt confident by following their requirements,

We try, on other international travel, to keep precription meds in their original container. Having done the work for oyr Yakkan Shoumei, we also carry a copy of the letter ftom our physician, which lists all meds and supplements, together with the reason/diagnosis for each. We haven't needed to update that yet, but plan to keep it up to date and always travel with it.

Also keep in mind that some over the counter meds are not legal in other countries. For example Sudafed is not allowed in Japan.

All of my doctors prepare a summary of every visit just after all appointments. . Iincluded in the summary are all coditions rom which I suffer, previous surgeries and all Rx previsously ordered, any added at that visit and any discontiued. It is a medical history on two pages and I keep a copy of the most recent in my pocketbook. Seeing I am now solo , hopefully, if i collapse somewhere someone will look in my purse to see if they can find such informti on. If not, it's been nice 'knowing' you all. :)

Thanks for any help.

I put all of mine in a pill box sans 1 of them which comes in what is sort of sliding container (sort of a cardboard type). The capsules are in their individual slots and I press them out to take them. Those stay inside their packaging. I have never had any issues with my pill box or medicine packages.

Have travelled the world for 40 years and have never been questioned about prescription or OTC meds. We frequently travel for over 6 months at a time, so have a requisite supply in our hand baggage.

I use a weekly pill box, with remainder in the original containers. DW uses a 4-week pill box, with remainder in original containers. Don't carry prescriptions or doctor's note, but DW has a list of her meds on her fruit thing.

Are we in compliance with border regulations - No. However, we have had bags inspected and have never been questioned. Yes, we are at risk, but in reality with our age and travel history we are low risk.

Have travelled the world for 40 years and have never been questioned about prescription or OTC meds.

Our experience also.

The only time meds are in original packaging is if I need that much of a supply for the trip. Otherwise the pills are in the smallest containers that will hold them.

I keep all our medications in their original bottles. I also take the medical flyer that comes with each prescription.

We have no choice but to fly to get to the ships.

All prescriptions are kept in a medical in my carry on. DH takes many medications and several he takes 3 times a day. Thus those pill boxes do not work for him since he takes medication 5 times a day.

We have experienced TSA opening the medical and looking at and reading a few of the bottles over the years.

I keep the empty bottles one month prior to leaving and put what is needed of each one in the old corresponding bottles. I also make sure we take an extra few days worth as well. When we get where we are going I put them in the pill box

What makes you think having an out of date bottle will make things better?

Better to take the CURRENT bottle, and put extras in the OLD bottle at HOME.

But again, 25+ years of international travel, over 140 countries. And I always carry them in a weekly pill box without any issues.