South Africa cruises and immigration at ports of call

RosieRuby

We are interested in a cruise to South Africa and visiting several ports in the country. However, we have heard that in every South African port, you have to undergo in person immigration. Can anyone advise if this is the case? It would seem very excessive!

Many thanks for any clarification.

Have done this cruise with Regent and, yes, in every port, the entire ship had to get off and go through immigration. Yes, it was a pain, but I woudn’t not go on the cruise because of it. You will enjoy the trip!

We just did a cruise of South Africa in December. At every port where you were in a different country you had to go through immigration both coming and going. So we started in Cape Town and when we went to Mozambique there was a complete immigration check of the whole ship. Then when we came back into South Africa proper there was another immigration check I believe in Durban. And then when we left South Africa and went to Namibia there had to be an exit immigration when we left South Africa, and entry when we went to Namibia and then anotherEntry when we went back into South Africa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. But it is not a big deal. Our March 2018 cruise included several South African ports, Mozambique, Kenya and Tanzania. Madagascar was in there too, but as Oceania usually does, we missed that port. Do not let immigration deter you from cruising in this part of the world.

Yes. But it is not a big deal. Our March 2018 cruise included several South African ports, Mozambique, Kenya and Tanzania. Madagascar was in there too, but as Oceania usually does, we missed that port. Do not let immigration deter you from cruising in this part of the world.

Agree that it's not a big deal...there in April. Madagascar is usually missed? Rough seas the rule there?

Thank you for your responses. I'm reassured that you didn't find it off putting although I am concerned about how long the immigration at each port takes, waiting in lines every time. Thanks again.

Extremely strange report. Granted it was several years ago but, during our world cruise that included South Africa we NEVER experienced any immigration at any of our South Africa ports. In fact, we disembarked with a group in Richards Bay to fly to a 3 nite safari we arranged and then met the ship in Cape Town and simply got on the ship with our cruise cards and no problems, questions, immigration, etc.

We entered South Africa after leaving Mozambique with no immigration there and left South Africa for Namibia with no immigration in either. Seems rules have changed or ???????

December 2017 we had a Face-to-Face inspection at our first port of call in South Aftica, Richard's Bay. After that there were no inspections in Durban and Cape Town.

Plague is endemic in Madagascar but they had an outbreak of pneumonic plague last August. We were notified before embarkation that the decision had been made by Oceania to skip Nosy Be, Madagascar. Disappointing but a wise choice. Perhaps that was the same thinking that affected the March 2018 itinerary.

Agree that it's not a big deal...there in April. Madagascar is usually missed? Rough seas the rule there?

Rough seas can be one of the reasons. Katz posted they missed the port in March. I am NOT saying they missed it due to but as you are planning to go at that time of year note that cyclone season occurs from November to April.

Other reasons are plagues. political demonstrations. violence.

Keep an eye on government advisories and WHO i.e. last year plague : http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20171003/en/

Bear in mind too that what your government advises can effect your travel insurance coverage. On mine, if I travel to an area my government has declared as "avoid all travel" and I do, I can lose all coverage while I am in that area.

Maybe I am on a cruise ship and the cruise line decides to visit that port but my government has just now put an "avoid all travel". Well I cant get off and swim somewhere else. But I also cant get off the ship with insurance coverage. I might not even have coverage while on the ship sitting at that port in which case the CL has put me at risk just being there. Better for me that they do skip the port (hopefully substitute another). But I know others want to go and maybe they are covered or maybe their government does not (yet or still) have an advisory or maybe the pax does not understand the risk or maybe they just don't care or or maybe they believe nothing will happen to them or maybe they do understand the risk but just really, really, really want to go anyway.

And this case is a good example of a one size does not fit all - governments can have different opinions, and the advisories can change at any moment.

USA

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Madagascar.html

"Exercise normal precautions in Madagascar. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory."

Note that they say to read the entire advisory.

UK

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/madagascar

They too advise that there are comments to be read throughout. It is interesting that they report that they no longer advise against all travel to Batterie Beach

"Summary - the FCO no longer advise against all travel to Batterie Beach, north of Toliara (Tulear); additional information on recent political demonstrations; you should avoid all protests and demonstrations; editorial amendments throughout"

But Canada:

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/madagascar

"MADAGASCAR - Exercise a high degree of caution

Exercise a high degree of caution in Madagascar due to the high crime rate and the potential for political instability..

Batterie beach - Avoid all travel

Avoid all travel to Batterie Beach, just north of Toliara, where violent assaults have occurred."

and

"Violent attacks have occurred on Batterie Beach, north of Toliara. Some of these attacks have resulted in fatalities."

Maybe Canadians are more risk adverse. Or maybe they are more targeted at Batterie beach. Maybe better to not have that Maple Leaf ball cap :)