local cuisine experience on board

smiley1228

Ha!

It's possible. I had paella last month in Queens that had me in bed for a day.

These kinds of threads nicely demonstrate one major reason why cruises exist.

They are perfect for the timid traveler who doesn't really understand the complexities of a particular country or a region, including its cuisine, and who doesn't really want to know more.

One poster in particular (the one who's afraid of pretty much everything) clearly doesn't understand that India has numerous regions, each with its own food specialties and styles. It's necessary to be careful when choosing, but experiencing those various cuisines is truly one of the delights of travel. But of course, one needs to eat outside the ship dining room to do so.

I'd say the timid traveler is the one who wants the cruise line to provide local food instead of seeking it out locally.

since we will be sailing from dubai to capetown with stops in india, will be able offered

a taste of the local cuisine on board dining ?

Not quite what you asked, but if you have access to Netflix and if you're going to be dining in Capetown during a land stay after the cruise, you may want to watch Episode Five (Season 2) of Somebody Feed Phil. This series features the creator of the now-defunct comedy series Everyone Loves Raymond "taking viewers on a goodwill eating tour" of the world. No deep cultural or culinary insights. Just gorgeous scenery and a guy having a great time eating high- and low-end food and making friends. The specific episode I mention focuses on Capetown.

Smiley;

I can tell you we were offered an Indian dish in the GDR which I asked our Indian waiter about. His comments were “there is nothing Indian , except name, about it. They don’t us the authentic spices and the entree is tasteless “. That pretty well sums up many of the dishes served. They are heavily Americanized so to meet the likes of the widest sweep of cruisers.

If you want authentic local cuisine, get off the ship because you won’t find it aboard. The primary reason most never eat off the ship is not expense, but they want nothing to do with local flavors, spices, and tastes, but only the toned down, safe food of the ship.

Numerous times have heard in the Terrace:” Is that ( dish) spicy?”

Waitress “ No, Oceania doesn’t do spicy food!”

Cruiser” Oh good , I don’t like spicy!”

Henry,

I agree with you in most places but not necessarily so in India :)

Not sure of the meaning of this post; if it is a “fear of local cuisine” post posed as humor I believe it is misplaced. I’ve spent 6 weeks in India over the last 3+ years without any issues; I agree with the recommendation to seek local cuisine ashore whether in India or otherwise.

Not sure of the meaning of this post; if it is a “fear of local cuisine” post posed as humor I believe it is misplaced. I’ve spent 6 weeks in India over the last 3+ years without any issues; I agree with the recommendation to seek local cuisine ashore whether in India or otherwise.

No, it’s not humor - it’s a serious consideration. We too have spent much time in India without any food related issues - we were very careful where and what we ate.

That said, chances are that for every one of you and me there is someone with a different tale - a case of Delhi belly.

One has to be more careful there than in Singapore, for example.

That was the whole point.