Boarding Time

barbon2

We've never had a waiting problem in NYC but then we are usually in a suite, where the lines are short. Can't really define what the waiting area is like since we have never had to wait!

Just how early would you expect to be? Just off a flight?

The question is: how many people will be there when you arrive. That's hard to predict! If lines are short, they would let you board early. If long ... Usually they have separate lines for top suites, veranda cabins and lower levels. The ships are not megaships so frequently lines are NOT long.

It doesn't hurt to try if you have nowhere else to go!

Are you on Marina/Riviera or one of the "R" ships? The "R" ships only carry 684 passengers so wait times may not be difficult.

NYC is a large terminal, not like some smaller boarding ports.

Mura

Mura,

I was just questioning if anyone has taken an O ship out of the Manhattan terminal.

We are going on the Insignia in August and was wondering what the protocol was at this particular terminal.

We have cruised many times and when sailing on Crystal and Silverseas (similar size vessels), you basically boarded when you arrived.

I also am aware that the suite passengers can board at 11.

My question is, for someone who has experience boarding an O ship from Manhattan, what time where you able to board?

We have a driver taken us to the terminal from Pa., so I am just trying to figure out when we should arrive.

I am thanking anyone in advance who has experience with this particular facility.

Barbara

I understood that. Yes, we have left from the NY terminal, both on Oceania (although with the bigger ships as far as I recall) and also NCL. But these have been a while back so my memory is a bit hazy. And as I said, we can board early so we have not had a problem. It's a large terminal so I would assume that if you needed to sit down and wait, that you COULD.

Given that you have an official boarding time of 1pm, I'd suggest that you time your drive so that you arrive around that time. That's not to say that you could NOT board earlier! It's just hard to guarantee to you that you could. Remember, it's a small ship. People flying into NYC from other parts of the country may well arrive later. But if it's a matter of timing a drive from PA, I'd play it safe myself.

We live here so it's not a problem for us!

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe others can speak to your situation better than I can.

You could always drive out to Brooklyn and hang out with us ... :halo:

Mura

Thank you Mura.

We will probably aim for noon and hope we can get on.

We have sailed out of many ports domestic and foreign, including Cape Liberty, but for some reason, never Manhattan.

Thanks for the invite, but this time I am anxious with the tunnel traffic to be dropped off within a reasonable time.

:cool:

True, unless you arrived VERY early there wouldn't be a point in crossing the Brooklyn Bridge!

When we took a TA on NCL about 7 years ago the cab picked us up. Traffic was terrible. About half way to the ship I realized I'd left my camera at home. (Long story there, I won't burden you.) So we kept on going and boarded the ship with no problem. With such heavy traffic we didn't dare go back home ... even though with no traffic it would have been about 20 minutes. (At least being a TA I was able to buy a camera at the first port, which was the Canaries.)

I'm thinking that you probably shouldn't have a problem boarding before 1pm. I just want to promise you that there won't be a problem!

Mura

We have had to wait in the Manhattan Cruise Terminal when the ship was having "gastrointestinal problems" and they had to do a thorough scrub. Also, if the ship is coming from out of the country and they need an inspection, I would imagine that they might have a wait. Otherwise it is a convenient terminal with seating.

Thank you.

The ship will be in the States before our cruise.

As for the “gastric cleansing” that can happen on any ship as well as mechanical issues.

We will aim for noon. If we have to wait, at least I know that they can accommodate us.

Google Manhattan Cruise Terminal and see how many ships are leaving the day you are. When more than one is scheduled there can be traffic issues as you approach the terminal. Also there can be a back-up as cars wait to unload passengers and their luggage.