New 2018 Wavenet high speed internet WiFi fail expectations

AZjohn

Just off the infamous Regatta cruise.

On our last cruise in nov 2015 on Nautica the Internet was impossible to use unless between midnight and 5 am. On Regatta recently it worked fairly well.

Our room was on 7 slightly forward. Worked most of the time. No internet on terrace or in GDR. Never went on pool deck ever so can’t comment. Worked in Horizons. It’s not high speed, but it is so many times better than since it was made free. You can load FB. You can post/email photos most of the time. Not so in 2015.

The improvement was definitely apparent. For me I don’t need to stream tv on vacation. Your mileage may vary.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The highlighted part would seem like a positive thing. People shouldn't be on the internet in the restaurants.

The highlighted part would seem like a positive thing. People shouldn't be on the internet in the restaurants.

Well that might depend on the speed of the service mighten it? One day at a table for two I tried to send email to my son. Let’s just say it was a very leisurely lunch. That’s how I know......

Mo

OMG

what did we do before the internet when waiting to be served :eek:

getting my bunker gear

Who put the bee [emoji219] in your bonnet? You do seem quite cranky lately.

Mo

On Regatta now. Good, free service, both in room and pc center, but best in PC center. library pcs are slower. I was told there's no wifi in restaurants, intentional I believe. fine with me. I can eat without it. PC gentleman has been helping tons of people get Wi-Fi on their devices. It's easy if you follow instructions in computer room, on TV, etc. Just remember only one person from your room can be on at a time, so others need to log off. Today and yesterday, each day I posted 4 pictures to Facebook around 2 or 3 on sea days, but I was using one of their pcs and had put the pictures on a thumb drive. I haven't tried posting pictures from my tablet in my room, so don't know if that's slower. Posting didn't take long in Oceania at Sea. I'm in my inside cabin now and wifi is working well. however, I was told that the veranda is not a good place for reception. occasionally the wifi will drop out, but generally it seems pretty good. I'm happy. At least off the coast of Canada and U.S., it has been much better than it was a year plus ago in Canada

and New England.

Edited by roothy123

I will be on Nautica in Dec 2018. Is the internet speed on Oceania good enough to make an internet Voice telephone call, or a Skype video call? Being able to have voice communication with someone is my #1 concern. Video would just be a plus. Bill, Franklin, NC

Just off the marina. Internet and WiFi reception was awful. My husband does business from all our cruises and this was the worst. Many people complaining. The only place he could get anything done was in the computer room. Hope they get the message and improve their system. Giving free internet is great if you can use it!

• 1 month later...

Any more reports on new WiFi. Improvements? Very frustrating as we embrace “work from floating home”.

We sail O when sailing by ourselves and Royal Caribbean with kids or grandkids. Royal Caribbean has 6000 people, plus crew, using facetime, Skype, streaming Netflix.... with no problems. We can video conference anytime without issue.

Working while onboard is fine but having to use port time to make a conference call because WiFi is so poor on the ship is unacceptable.

Why is it that O can not figure this out. Obviously, it is a very solveable problem.

Any more reports on new WiFi. Improvements? Very frustrating as we embrace “work from floating home”.

We sail O when sailing by ourselves and Royal Caribbean with kids or grandkids. Royal Caribbean has 6000 people, plus crew, using facetime, Skype, streaming Netflix.... with no problems. We can video conference anytime without issue.

Working while onboard is fine but having to use port time to make a conference call because WiFi is so poor on the ship is unacceptable.

Why is it that O can not figure this out. Obviously, it is a very solveable problem.

I'm really replying to this because, ironically, the answer can be found in your Screen name.

With half a dozen or more leviathans perpetually plodding around the Caribbean, RCCL has the wherewithal to buy the platinum service for that area of the world. When they venture as far afield as the Baltic, I understand that their Internet is lacking.

Oceania has fewer passengers splitting the cost of Internet over the entire planet.

If you truly believe "the more ports the better", compromises may be in order.

Edited by JimandStan

I admit, I’m a port addict, that why I love O, port intensive, interesting places. First TA in Oct after 2 weeks in the med, I may die of boredom but I was out voted.

The cost of speedy internet is an NCL wide expense not a population per ship expense. Some equipment cost is per ship, of course, but the satellite system provider contract is the bulk of the cost.

Currently, the only way to deliver true high speed internet to a ship is with low orbit satellites. Elon Musk is dropping these things into space fairly quickly bring down the price. Many years ago, DH headed a group of physicists that developed the technology that allows for this stuff today.

NCL keeps contracting with satellite providers at 20,000 plus feet with no targeting ability which will never deliver low orbit speed and reliability. Hence the problem.

Carnival finally came onboard with low orbit and the new Seabourn Ovation was connected and is lightning fast everywhere. Maybe in a few years when the new NCL contract expires, they will see the light and O will finally get speedy internet too.

on Marine heading to Bergen

the free WiFi is working very well here

many people on their computers today as we are at sea

We do not do streaming, Facetime, skype etc so have no idea if it works

it may be a case of location & number of users on the cruise

JMO

on Marine heading to Bergen

the free WiFi is working very well here

many people on their computers today as we are at sea

We do not do streaming, Facetime, skype etc so have no idea if it works

it may be a case of location & number of users on the cruise

JMO

Lyn,

Have a great cruise!

Lyn,

Have a great cruise!

Thanks Paul

Sitting on the ship in sunny warm Bergen

so far calm seas

WiFi speed is the same today with not many onboard as it was on the sea day with many online :D

Lyn

• 2 months later...