Anyone tried these new style full face snorkel masks?

I bought 2 of these last year. They work pretty well but nothing is as good as advertised.

The view is good. I had to play with it to get a good seal but one I had it right it was acceptable. They do a pretty good job of keeping the fog down. By the same token if you get water in them it is harder to get out. They took pack up very compact for travel.

To be honest I have always been very happy with my traditional mask and snorkel and probably like it better but I will also have seen many people who really like them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought one last year before a cruise and I absolutely love it!! My lips didn’t get swollen/chapped/whatever from holding the snorkel in my mouth. The view was so much better since you have peripheral vision with the full face mask and I loved that I couldn’t hear myself breathing like I could with the snorkel tube. Once I got the seal correct, I had no problem with salt water getting in my eyes like I always did with a traditional mask. I’ll never go back to a regular snorkel mask. Having said that, my brother borrowed mine and didn’t like it. However, he likes to dive down in the water (which i don’t do) and the full face mask makes that a bit difficult. Hope that helps.

Bought one for my wife last year for a cruise. She loved it. First time ever she's felt comfortable in the water. I bought one this year for myself even though I am an experienced snorkeler and diver. I enjoyed using it. For casual snorkeling on the surface they are great. For free diving a conventional mask/snorkel is better but every one should try a full face mask at least once to see if they like it.

Edited by mac66

• 2 weeks later...

we now have 4 of the full face masks. Got in some heavy waves off Florida and my conventional mask and snorkel

was taking in water. Put full face on and it was great. Only thing you cant do with it is scuba.

Great question

I was curious about these. I have no problem with holding my breath and going under water but when I tried snorkeling I panicked because of the snorkel. I've been wondering if one of the full face masks would be better for me to try

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

DH and I have the full face mask and they are great for us. I have trouble breathing exclusively through my mouth it causes me to panic. This style of mask allowed me to finally get me first glimpse under water in the ocean with no panic. I was so excited to finally be able to snorkel. As was mentioned these are great for staying close to the surface not so great if you like to free dive! Still it is a life changing thing for me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Glasses are not needed. Get goggels that have corrective lens. My husband really like them.

We were on a snorkel trip last month and the tour operator offered the use of goggles with prescription lenses. You just need to know your prescription, for example -1.0 or -2.5 and use the correspondiing goggles. it was great.

Good to know that so many people really liked the full face mask. I was debating on purchasing 2 for our cruise in October 2018. My boyfriend has a mustache and had a problem getting a good deal with a regular mask and snorkel. I think I’m going to have to try the new mask out!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wear contacts----I absolutely can't see a thing without them---and I love my full face snorkel. I bought a cheap version last year and enjoyed it so much that I upgraded to the Triboard this year. It just came in the mail yesterday.

They are only good for surface snorkeling. So if you want to see reefs up close, they are perfect. For example, the trail on St John's was wonderful. Snorkeling the reefs at Half Moon Caye, not good at all. You can't submerge in them. If you're booking a snorkeling excursion, keep that in mind.

I tried mine in my pool at home first, trying to get rocks off the bottom of the deep end and wasn't able to get to them. I thought it was the jets in the pool keeping me from being able to reach it, as I'd never snorkeled in my pool (I was practicing with the mask too). Once I got on the cruise and others told me they were having the same issue, it made sense.

The pluses: You have a full view and don't have to worry about getting salt water in your mouth with a full face mask.The minus: You do get warm as there is really no fresh air so if you're the least little bit claustrophobic, as I am, this may pose a problem. I had to abandon the full face which was a bummer because I was really excited about using it.