Marina - Stockholm and Copenhagen Ports

VegasTW

Hi all,

We embark from Stockholm and disembark at Copenhagen.

Are the ports near the city center?

Does Oceania provide transportation from city center to the Stockholm port for embarkation?

How far away are the ports from city center?

I thought this might be best on the Oceania forum (vs port forum) since I read that as a smaller ship line that the ports may differ from the main cruise line ports.

I can't find anything on the Oceania website to this effect.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Copenhagen the pier is real close to the statue of The Little Mermaid. Google a map and you can see where you will be docking in relation to the rest of the town. The terminal will either be Langelilie(sp) or Ocenakaj.

We spent a couple of days there this past summer before a cruise and enjoyed it very much. Nice clean city.

I was in Stockholm but as I don't take notes or keep a journal I don't remember where the port was or if we had to take a shuttle. I do know that we walked around the town. Another nice city.

The only transportation Oceania will have on the day of embarkation is a paid(quite expensive probably) transfer. It's usually from the airport.

...I thought this might be best on the Oceania forum (vs port forum) since I read that as a smaller ship line that the ports may differ from the main cruise line ports.

Marina is definitely smaller than the gigantic ships that make port calls at Stockholm, but it is still too large to navigate the Swedish Archipelago to access the berths in the city. I think Marina can navigate the route if weather, sea state, and wind are perfect. However, the concern is that there is no margin for error, so even Marina docks at Nynashamn some 30 kilometers distant from the city center.

In Copenhagen the pier is real close to the statue of The Little Mermaid. Google a map and you can see where you will be docking in relation to the rest of the town. The terminal will either be Langelinie or Oceankaj.

Only Langelinie pier is close to the Little Mermaid. Oceankaj definitely is not; it's five miles from the city center. We've docked at Langelinie on the compact Nautica but at Oceankaj on the larger Marina.

Since opening in 2014, Oceankaj has been Copenhagen's primary cruise port due to its long pier, two modern terminal buildings and dedicated wastewater handling facility. Inexpensive public bus service (#26) is available to and from the city, plus there are always taxis around.

As always, it will be a matter of timing and the priorities of the local port authority as to where you will be berthed. AFAIK, it's impossible to know the exact docking location before you arrive.

Only Langelinie pier is close to the Little Mermaid. Oceankaj definitely is not; it's five miles from the city center. We've docked at Langelinie on the compact Nautica but at Oceankaj on the larger Marina.

Since opening in 2014, Oceankaj has been Copenhagen's primary cruise port due to its long pier, two modern terminal buildings and dedicated wastewater handling facility. Inexpensive public bus service (#26) is available to and from the city, plus there are always taxis around.

As always, it will be a matter of timing and the priorities of the local port authority as to where you will be berthed. AFAIK, it's impossible to know the exact docking location before you arrive.

That explains it then, we were on the Nautica.

Hello. Ive been following this thread since we also embark from Copenhagen. Peope frequently refer to bus #26 but our cruise leaves on a Sunday and that bus does not run Sundays. In this case, seems like a taxi is the only option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this same itinerary last September. Airport to Stockholm, took a taxi - much cheaper than O's bus shuttle. Also took a taxi after disembarkation in Copenhagen. Both were under $50 and well worth it. As far as Copenhagen to the airport, we stayed one night and had a hotel in the city center - there is a marvelous train right to the airport from the large main terminal to the city center, very cheap and fast. Enjoy your cruise!

My cruise on Marina last spring ended in Copenhagen and I was expecting that we would dock at Oceankaj but was pleasantly surprised when we docked at Langelinie pier instead. Taxis were extremely slow to appear, so with 20+ people in line and a estimated 1-2 hour wait I ended up walking to the train station and taking the train to the airport instead.

My cruise on Marina last spring ended in Copenhagen and I was expecting that we would dock at Oceankaj but was pleasantly surprised when we docked at Langelinie pier instead. Taxis were extremely slow to appear, so with 20+ people in line and a estimated 1-2 hour wait I ended up walking to the train station and taking the train to the airport instead.

Was this a last minute docking change?

Does O tell you what port you will be docking at before you are sailing or is it left up to the passenger to guess?

Was this a last minute docking change?
I don't know, but I doubt it since this was a disembarkation/embarkation port.
Does O tell you what port you will be docking at before you are sailing or is it left up to the passenger to guess?
No Oceania does not tell you, but most of the time you don't have to guess as the port usually has a vessel schedule which will tell you where they berth. Here's the one for Copenhagen: http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/calls It really didn't matter which port it was in my case as my flight to ARN wasn 't until noon. FWIW, June-Sep of this year, 4 times at Langeliniekaj, 3 times at Oceankaj, and 3 times at berth V14 (Visby).

I don't know, but I doubt it since this was a disembarkation/embarkation port.

No Oceania does not tell you, but most of the time you don't have to guess as the port usually has a vessel schedule which will tell you where they berth. Here's the one for Copenhagen: http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/calls It really didn't matter which port it was in my case as my flight to ARN wasn 't until noon. FWIW, June-Sep of this year, 4 times at Langeliniekaj, 3 times at Oceankaj, and 3 times at berth V14 (Visby).

Thank you for the link- interesting.

Marina is definitely smaller than the gigantic ships that make port calls at Stockholm, but it is still too large to navigate the Swedish Archipelago to access the berths in the city. I think Marina can navigate the route if weather, sea state, and wind are perfect. However, the concern is that there is no margin for error, so even Marina docks at Nynashamn some 30 kilometers distant from the city center.

Marina goes through the Archipelago. It is the large Princess and NCL ships that are hit or miss (frequently miss) on going into Stockholm.

• 3 months later...
For Stockholm you can find the port using this website: http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

I could not get the site to give future ship dockings..

I am wondering where the Oceania, Marina docks and how far it is to central Stockholm. We are staying at

Hilton Slussen.

What are rates for transport from Port to Central area hotels?

I could not get the site to give future ship dockings..

I am wondering where the Oceania, Marina docks and how far it is to central Stockholm. We are staying at

Hilton Slussen.

What are rates for transport from Port to Central area hotels?

For Vessel Type choose Cruise Ship, on both calendars click on the date the ship is expected to arrive, and it should pull up the ships in port that day. For instance, on Sept. 5 Marina will dock at Frihamnen.

I don't know the taxi rates.

Marina is docking at Frihamnen next Monday. I am told it's about 10 minutes from town. Of course, it depends upon where one is staying in Stockholm. Rick Steves warns about taxis, saying some will charge 3x what others do. He lists reputable ones in his books... and probably on his website.

That is not true. We sailed from Stockholm on the Marina last August and left from Frihamnen, not the one far away.

I believe we used Taxi Stockholm from the airport to the hotel and from hotel to port. They have an app you can download to order your cab. They were very good. Copenhagen was another story. I found it very chaotic when we disembarked. The line to get a taxi coming off the Marina was hugh, it must have been an hour wait. We walked away from the port and got the bus. Read the Copenhagen port forum, it will give you all the details on the bus.

Thanks, we finally got hold of Oceania rep. He said Marina will dock at Vartahamnen dock on Aug.19, 2018. It is only a 15min. Taxi ride to Hotel.

I then put in port name for taxi estimate.. Not too bad.. <$25.00

I would probably believe the port authority over the rep :halo:

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

which says FRIHAMNEN

Frihamnen and Värtahamnen are about a mile apart - close, but not exactly next to each other.

I'm also not sure that size of ship is the only determining factor for these ports. In August, we are on the Azamara Journey, another former R ship, and we are scheduled to dock at Oceankaj in Copenhagen (as opposed to closer in Langeliene) and at Värtahamnen in Stockholm. My naive guess is that Oceankaj is better suited to embarkation/disembarkation than Langeliene, which is probably more suitable for just a port call. And we are overnighting in Stockholm prior to disembarking, so that may factor into the pier assignment.

In my experience, the port authority usually is the most accurate source of information, unless something changes last minute.

Here is a TripAdvisor article about taxis in Stockholm.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189852-s304/Stockholm:Sweden:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html

It mentions the three reputable companies. As I recall, there was a taxi line with a mix of taxis upon disembarkation. Besides agreeing on price, also make sure you agree on method of payment. Ours, from one of the reputable companies, claimed his Credit Card reader didn’t work...but would gladly take euros or dollars, at a really lousy exchange rate, of course.

Here is a TripAdvisor article about taxis in Stockholm.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189852-s304/Stockholm:Sweden:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html

It mentions the three reputable companies. As I recall, there was a taxi line with a mix of taxis upon disembarkation. Besides agreeing on price, also make sure you agree on method of payment. Ours, from one of the reputable companies, claimed his Credit Card reader didn’t work...but would gladly take euros or dollars, at a really lousy exchange rate, of course.

Yes make sure of method of payment and If you want to go by taxameter or fixed price before you jump in, the Taxi business are like the wild west here i Stockholm. And remember that if you get a bad wibe about the driver just go and pick another Taxi in the line as you are not forced to take the first in line.