Palma de Mallorca

ljandgb

We just got back from our MSC Splendida cruise. We are a family of 8, ages 12-75, and did a private tour by a local guide. I absolutely fell in love with Mallorca. Palma was clean, many wide tree lined boulevards, parks, fountains, and much more cosmopolitan than I was expecting. We also went up into the hills to Valledemosa, a town who's claim to fame is that Chopin stayed and composed some stuff there for a few months. It was a beautiful little town, with gardens, nice shopping, lots of cafes. We had a 24 passenger van with a driver and a separate guide. We stopped at the top of the hill to see the view from the fortress, then went into town to see the cathedral and walk some of the old town. The guide was very nice, very accommodating of my mother who wasn't feeling very well, but also enthusiastic when my teens found a nerd culture t-shirt shop.

I'd love to go back and just spend several days in Mallorca. It was our favorite port from this cruise, despite, or maybe because, I'd had no real idea what to expect.

The ship was a very long walk from the port terminal, which was a good ways from the city center. I'd say the walk to the terminal was easily 1/2 a mile and probably more. The ship had a 13euro/person shuttle that left from the ship to the city center, about a 15 minute drive.

We just got back from our MSC Splendida cruise. We are a family of 8, ages 12-75, and did a private tour by a local guide. I absolutely fell in love with Mallorca. Palma was clean, many wide tree lined boulevards, parks, fountains, and much more cosmopolitan than I was expecting. We also went up into the hills to Valledemosa, a town who's claim to fame is that Chopin stayed and composed some stuff there for a few months. It was a beautiful little town, with gardens, nice shopping, lots of cafes. We had a 24 passenger van with a driver and a separate guide. We stopped at the top of the hill to see the view from the fortress, then went into town to see the cathedral and walk some of the old town. The guide was very nice, very accommodating of my mother who wasn't feeling very well, but also enthusiastic when my teens found a nerd culture t-shirt shop.

I'd love to go back and just spend several days in Mallorca. It was our favorite port from this cruise, despite, or maybe because, I'd had no real idea what to expect.

The ship was a very long walk from the port terminal, which was a good ways from the city center. I'd say the walk to the terminal was easily 1/2 a mile and probably more. The ship had a 13euro/person shuttle that left from the ship to the city center, about a 15 minute drive.

You got it down to a tee !!! That's why we live in Majorca the unknown jewel in in Mediterranean anyone requiring any information I can give you the answer.

Would love some information on your private tour and guide. Looking forward to discovering this jewel. thanks

http://www.mallorcatourguides.com/

We had Miguel. He was very nice, very accommodating to my mom and genuinely excited my kids found something they liked while shopping. We had a few issues with emailing that made me concerned but that concern was unwarranted. He was very professional. I'd definitely recommend him.

I've used Miguel twice. The first time we saw the highlights of Palma with 2 bus loads of CC people. He was fantastic so when we had the second port stop there, we hired him again. We saw a few highlights of Palma (the cathedral is my favorite) and then headed to Valdemossa to have the lunch buffet at Michael Douglas' Costa Nord which was wonderful. Some decided to go to the Chopin's concert nearby. Then we went to a great winery, Macie Batle.

I would hire Miguel again in a heartbeat. I loved the port and, too, would love to explore it further. I think it is my favorite port.

Joan

http://www.mallorcatourguides.com/

We had Miguel. He was very nice, very accommodating to my mom and genuinely excited my kids found something they liked while shopping. We had a few issues with emailing that made me concerned but that concern was unwarranted. He was very professional. I'd definitely recommend him.

Thanks for info, we have done it on our own once and next time, we would love to hire a guide.

You got it down to a tee !!! That's why we live in Majorca the unknown jewel in in Mediterranean anyone requiring any information I can give you the answer.

Was looking into doing this tour in October, are you familiar?

Coasteering in Mallorca tour

https://www.viator.com/tours/Mallorca/Sea-Adventure-for-Cruise-guests/d955-7094P6/important-info

https://www.viator.com/tours/Mallorca/Sea-Adventure-for-Cruise-guests/d955-7094P6/important-info

A new one to me but I did ask around and I think you can find a cheaper price than Viator who are only booking agents .

https://www.sunbonoo.com/en/outdoor-majorca-thursday-and-saturday-coasteering

• 9 months later...

My husband and I are looking at this same tour. It looks incredible, while I have been cliff jumping before I get nervous in the beginning do they start with smaller jumps?

My husband and I are looking at this same tour. It looks incredible, while I have been cliff jumping before I get nervous in the beginning do they start with smaller jumps?

Yes, they start at about 3 meters, and work their way up to 10 meters, and you can decline at any time. There was also a small zip line where you let go mid point and drop into the water! Lots of fun!

Yes, they start at about 3 meters, and work their way up to 10 meters, and you can decline at any time. There was also a small zip line where you let go mid point and drop into the water! Lots of fun!

This sounds amazing! Did you book through a tour company?

We will be stopping here off a cruise at the very beginning of December.

Since this is our first time here, we would like to know what we should be seeing and doing?. We are seniors, who are not into adventure, but more seeing the sights and I am an avid photographer.

What is the best way to see this island and what are the things that can be labeled 'shouldn't miss'?

I've looked at some of the tours recommended on this thread, but really we don't know where to start to optimize our time here.

Also, would going at the beginning of December make any difference in what tours may be available?

Cheers

Len

We will be stopping here off a cruise at the very beginning of December.

Since this is our first time here, we would like to know what we should be seeing and doing?. We are seniors, who are not into adventure, but more seeing the sights and I am an avid photographer.

What is the best way to see this island and what are the things that can be labeled 'shouldn't miss'?

I've looked at some of the tours recommended on this thread, but really we don't know where to start to optimize our time here.

Also, would going at the beginning of December make any difference in what tours may be available?

Cheers

Len

See my Recommendations on :

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657

For a full day out I would try to do Valldamosa and the city of Palma.

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do/palma-valldemossa-full-day-tour.a214573.activity-details

You will find more than one site for this tour.

See my Recommendations on :

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657

For a full day out I would try to do Valldamosa and the city of Palma.

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do/palma-valldemossa-full-day-tour.a214573.activity-details

You will find more than one site for this tour.

Thanks Roger

You and I will become friends as I have more questions. :D:D:D:D

The tour you put up from Expedia--are there private tour companies that you might recommend?

What about the HoHo bus? What can we expect from that? Ourselves, we really aren't big on an enormous amount of facts and figures, preferring to see the beauty in things without all the numbers. Would that make, say the HoHo more of a good choice, or can we get more from a tour?

Cheers

Len

Thanks Roger

You and I will become friends as I have more questions. :D:D:D:D

The tour you put up from Expedia--are there private tour companies that you might recommend?

What about the HoHo bus? What can we expect from that? Ourselves, we really aren't big on an enormous amount of facts and figures, preferring to see the beauty in things without all the numbers. Would that make, say the HoHo more of a good choice, or can we get more from a tour?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len Ho Ho bus for me is a waste of money as they just run you round in a circle , I think that a private guide for the day is a good idea if you need more help with finding one Write on shoeuk at hotmail.com this is the best way to sè the beauty of the island.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

Roger

We will be in Palma de Mallorca on Thursday, Nov 29 2018 from 9AM till 9PM.

What type of weather (temp) should we expect around that time?

About what time does it get dark at that time of the year?

Looking quickly at a guide, it says about 5:30PM, so what might one do after dark if we are there until 9PM.

Are many tour companies and other places closed that late in the season. I tried a couple I found on Trip Advisor and they show nothing after mid November. Is that the norm then?

Cheers

Len