Mount Etna by coach or private car - what would you recommend? Thoughts?

Ember50

Hi there, we are on the Seaview August 5th and I am busy researching all of our excursions.

I am set on most of our activities but would appreciate any feedback folks have had with regard MSC's Etna excursions.

We are a family of 3 (mum, dad and 9 yr old).

We are travelling in the Yacht Club (we did Splendida's YC last year and loved it).

The MSC organised options are a bus excursion (4hrs ~£130 total) or a private car (£390 total).

Price difference isn't my main consideration, rather whether bus trip was worthwhile (higher vantage point in the bus, but a fixed route and potentially a lot of waiting around) v Private Car (but maybe not the best vehicle for going up Mount Etna?)

Is there anyone out there in the MSC community that has done either before and would be willing to offer their thoughts on their excursion and recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Not in the MSC community, but a private car would be best and the same price for 3 persons as the bus.

Both the car and the bus take a regular paved road up to Mt Etna. You will be following the same route.

There are some 4-wheel drive (off road) tours of Mt Etna, but this is not what you are taking, unless it tells you explicitly in the description of the tour.

Keep the flexibility and convenience of the car over the slight height advantage of the bus, which is not much if you are sitting in the back.

Thank you Marazul for taking the time to provide us some advice. Much appreciated.

I assume the car would be quicker. The bus trip advises 1.5hrs to drive up there, 1hr on summit (to look around) and 1.5hrs drive back again. Seems a long time on a bus. I presume a car would be somewhat quicker and probably more comfortable. I think we will plump for the car ! .

Good choice. Yes, the drive will not take quite as long and be more comfortable.

Do you have the option of adding an hour to your car excursion and stopping in Taormina on the way back to Messina? That is, if you haven't been there before.

• 2 weeks later...