Old guy, solo, NCL studio lounge

kochleffel

I did NCL Epic twice as a solo.

Ages ran for 20s to the 80s, you will always find some one to talk to,

The younger crowd often are at the meetups in the solo lounge and spend time often planning what to do late into the night but for evening before and at dinner time there is a good mix of people.

I never found a single woman scared because I was the only other person there.

Also, there are little parties some time held in the lounge and all the solos are invited.

What trip are you taking in May? I was looking at an inexpensive RC cruise in May, which should still be an okay time.... but I really would like to try NCL.

I was going to send you a private message to not clutter the thread more, but couldn't.

I'm looking into either may 11 or May 20, 9 day Baltic cruise on NCL.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to concur - as a female it would not occur to me to be uncomfortable in a lounge alone with a male unless that male actually did something to make me uncomfortable. I agree with the others - go to the meet ups and introduce yourself, and use the lounge as much as you wish! I would be more than happy to chat to people of any age and any gender, I've just booked my first solo cruise and I'm very much hoping that the people are friendly! I think you have nothing to worry about, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Tigerlily75
typo

I was going to send you a private message to not clutter the thread more, but couldn't.

I'm looking into either may 11 or May 20, 9 day Baltic cruise on NCL.

Private Messaging has never worked on this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Went solo on the Escape last year and met many interesting and fun people in the solo lounge. We'd gather before dinner as the hostess would tally up who wants to dine where, and get reservations for us.

Solos varied in age from 20-80's, mostly in the 40-55 range though. Everyone is friendly and looking to join others in activities on board or on excusions. Its like you're all fast friends and.

I've met some really interesting people, folks who are widowed but cruise because their partner enjoyed it, a retiree in Florida who jumps on last minute deals frequently, and a spattering of good conversationalists.

At 60, the OP wouldn't be the oldest solo by far. Solos attract a diverse crowd, its best to just go with the flow. Every sailing there's a different dynamic based on solos. Sometimes, you'll have a group that is all about doing things together, dining, drinking, clubbing, tours, shows, etc. Another week I was on and the vibe was totally different, only a few sad looking divorcees wanted to dine as a group, everyone else did their own thing,

Never really saw any people hang out in the lounge aside from grabbing a pastry and juice, and eat it there,

• 4 months later...

I'm somewhat relieved to read about all the positive aspects of solo cruising. I am doing my 1st solo cruise at Christmas on the Epic and am experiencing a range of emotions from sheer terror to childish excitement!! I'm a young 53 year old female and am looking forward to meeting people and having fun! I think when you get to my age, it is easier to talk to people and have a laugh!!:)