Calmer Seas?

Hi all,

We are booked to go on a Western Med cruise in mid-July this year. Embarking in Palma then on to Cadiz, Gibraltar, Lisbon, Malaga, Cartagena. I fully appreciate that weather is far from predictable, as is the state of the seas however can any of you seasoned cruisers give me an idea of what to expect in terms of the seas? Will they be generally calm that time of year based on your experiences/ knowledge? I'm a little nervous, but excited at the same time and hope we have picked a good time to go to get the least chance of choppy waters!

Many thanks all for your help in advance :)

C

Hi Chris.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

At that time of year it should be pretty smooth sailing while you are in the Med.

However, your cruise is not all in the Med. You are going to be going through the Strait of Gibraltar, which separates the Med from the Atlantic, and that is a stretch of water that can be choppy. Then once you are through the Strait, you are into the Atlantic proper - Cadiz and Lisbon are both Atlantic ports; they are not in the Med at all. The Atlantic is a lot less predictable even in the height of summer.

The chances are that you will be absolutely fine but it would probably be wise to go prepared with some motion sickness medication, just in case. Bonine or less-drowsy Dramamine both work fine for me and don't put me to sleep.

Your itinerary is great so you should have a fabulous time!

Hope this helps.

Fiona. :)