Funchal, Madeira -- Does this qualify as "Africa"?

adjensen

We are doing the Norwegian Epic transatlantic, with a stop at this island, and an improbable discussion (argument, lol) has arisen between my wife and I. Does this stop count as having visited Africa, or do we need to go back and take in a safari with lions and elephants and whatever, on the mainland, to say that we were in Africa?

I'm like, whatever else would be Africa? Why can't this count?

Edited by adjensen

We are doing the Norwegian Epic transatlantic, with a stop at this island, and an improbable discussion (argument, lol) has arisen between my wife and I. Does this stop count as having visited Africa, or do we need to go back and take in a safari with lions and elephants and whatever, on the mainland, to say that we were in Africa?

Madiera is part of Portugal which is in Europe.

Because there are no lions or elephants! :D

Geographically, I think Madeira and the Canary Islands can be regarded African islands, but politically and culturally they are much more closely tied to their respective European countries. Being there will feel like being in Europe, not Africa.

If you tick Africa off your list because you've been to Madeira, I think you may later come to think that you were just kidding yourself. You need lions and elephants!

You've not said whether it's you who counts Madeira as Africa, or your better-half.

But judging from your phraseology I've got a feeling it's you who's gonna have to eat humble pie :p

Very much Europe.

A region of Portugal, in the same way that the Canaries are a region of Spain.

No borders to cross if you take a ferry to mainland Portugal, language is Portuguese, currency is the euro.

(although theoretically that means if you've been to Martinique or Guadeloupe you can say you've been to France :))

You can certainly tick Portugal off your list.:)

If you see any lions or elephants there we will also let you tick Africa off the list. :D

JB :)

• 1 month later...

No, not even close. Madeira is a beautiful island off the coast of Portugal. If you want something to do there I can highly recommend "Hit The Road Madeira"

http://www.hittheroadmadeira.com/