Corkage policy

doug52

So, I have read pretty consistently on this board that the included wines are OK, but nothing special. And, in reviewing the available premium wines as shown by Emdee's daughter on a previous thread, they are marked up considerably and not really my preference. What is PG's policy on bringing wine on board to use at their restaurants? Is there a corkage fee, and I assume since alcohol is included they don't care if I pack a couple of bottles of wine?

I have several bottles of 2005 French Bordeaux's that I thought might be very appropriate for our dinner at La Veranda. But, I would only want to bring a couple if they will let me bring wine into the restaurant.

Thanks,

Doug

Well, since I haven't gotten any input on this question, I just picked up the phone and called PG to get the answer:

I can bring on bottles of wine and there is no corkage fee from PG. Nice!

And, while I was at it, I also contacted Vahine Private Island Resort where we are staying post cruise. Their chef was trained in a Michelin star restaurant in France and gets outstanding reviews on TripAdvisor.

Vahine allows personal wine with an 8 euro corkage fee. Very reasonable!

So, my plan is to bring on two bottles of French Bordeaux, and probably have one at La Veranda and one for a dinner on Vahine. Depending on the weight of our large suitcases, I may take 3 or 4 bottles, as alcohol is not included in our package on Vahine. I have several purchased bubble wrap style containers which work well for packing in our luggage.

Doug

Doug ....

We typically take a few bottles of Paso Robles fine wine (the best bold reds in the world with no partiality of course) and give them away ... of course to a crew member who loves the finest wines.

We've never had a bottle broken in our checked bags but we are very careful how we pack it.

Doug ....

We typically take a few bottles of Paso Robles fine wine (the best bold reds in the world with no partiality of course) and give them away ... of course to a crew member who loves the finest wines.

We've never had a bottle broken in our checked bags but we are very careful how we pack it.

TBK, yes I agree on the excellent Paso Robles wines. We belong to 3 wine clubs in Paso, including the very pricey but outstanding Saxum. You, of course, can just quickly get to one of these wineries living there full time. Although Saxum may be hard for even you to get, 3 year waiting list for their wine club and not available retail.

While I could take Paso Robles Rhone wines on this cruise, I have several bottles of French Bordeaux I bought on futures when the vaunted 2005 vintage was introduced. I have been storing them as they are just now reaching their prime drinking and ideally we would have them with a French gourmet meal.

I have Wine Wings that I purchased on line, that are great for storing wine in checked baggage. They worked well for our cruise last year from Florida to Italy. And, while I used them for wine going to the cruise, I used them for outstanding pesto purchased in Cinque Terre for the way back. And, I am thinking there may be local products in Polynesia(jams?) that I can store in them for once we get back home.

So, I may take at least two bottles, if not more, to have in La Veranda and at Vahine.

Cheers,

Doug

"Wine a little, you will feel better!"

Edited by doug52
additional input

Interestingly I have great relationships several of the great wineries in PR. Usually when I tell them it's going to FP as a gift they simply give me a bottle :)

Nice, I envy your contacts in the wineries and your location in PR. We love going there, about once every year or two. And, we enjoy staying at the Paso Robles Inn, having dinner at Buona Tavola or Villa Creek, and possibly a glass or two of wine beforehand at "Taste in the Alley".

On our upcoming cruise, we have the Marketing Director for Allegrini Wines from Italy(Marilisa Allegrini) as a guest host on board. I went to our local Total Wine and got several of her wines. One in particular has been a very nice table wine for pasta called Palazzo Della Torre. Also, bought an excellent Amarone of theirs, much higher price.

Looking forward to her presentations on our sea days. We also have an Italian cookbook author as a guest host and I have made several of his pasta recipes which go quite well with Allegrini Wines.

Getting very excited about this upcoming cruise in less than 30 days:D:D:D.

Doug

Nice, I envy your contacts in the wineries and your location in PR. We love going there, about once every year or two. And, we enjoy staying at the Paso Robles Inn, having dinner at Buona Tavola or Villa Creek, and possibly a glass or two of wine beforehand at "Taste in the Alley".

On our upcoming cruise, we have the Marketing Director for Allegrini Wines from Italy(Marilisa Allegrini) as a guest host on board. I went to our local Total Wine and got several of her wines. One in particular has been a very nice table wine for pasta called Palazzo Della Torre. Also, bought an excellent Amarone of theirs, much higher price.

Looking forward to her presentations on our sea days. We also have an Italian cookbook author as a guest host and I have made several of his pasta recipes which go quite well with Allegrini Wines.

Getting very excited about this upcoming cruise in less than 30 days:D:D:D.

Doug

Interesting .... Buona Tavola long ago was a Chinese restaurant, Wong's Hong Kong Cafe. In 1968 it was my first job other than family stuff. 95 cents per hour and all the free food I wanted. I was a bus boy. My Wong put 4 kids through college with his wok. Two lawyers and two doctors, he did well for himself.

Villa Creek is no long, it is now called 'GO'

The owner of the PR inn is a wonderful women, a friend of the family ... interestingly she has cruised on the PG :)

Interesting .... Buona Tavola long ago was a Chinese restaurant, Wong's Hong Kong Cafe. In 1968 it was my first job other than family stuff. 95 cents per hour and all the free food I wanted. I was a bus boy. My Wong put 4 kids through college with his wok. Two lawyers and two doctors, he did well for himself.

Villa Creek is no long, it is now called 'GO'

The owner of the PR inn is a wonderful women, a friend of the family ... interestingly she has cruised on the PG :)

We love Buona Tavola, too bad about Villa Creek our second favorite restaurant.

We had similar occupational beginnings, I also started as a busboy while in High School. making 95 cents per hour either in 68 or 69 but in Kansas not Paso Robles.;p

Doug

Got to throw my 95 cents in here too. My first real job in 1965 where I actually received a W2 was a busboy/dishwasher at Rex’s in Atascadero. Tahitianbigkahuna you may actually have heard of that place if you grew up in Paso. Looks like there may be some sort of correlation between early job experience and predilection to cruising in later years.

Got to throw my 95 cents in here too. My first real job in 1965 where I actually received a W2 was a busboy/dishwasher at Rex’s in Atascadero. Tahitianbigkahuna you may actually have heard of that place if you grew up in Paso. Looks like there may be some sort of correlation between early job experience and predilection to cruising in later years.

I like your logic .... and yes I remember Rex's. I've lived in Paso Robles for 53 years :)