Question regarding PG Tours in Huahine

kkelley

Trying to decide upon tour in Huahine.

Looking at the Huahine Iti by 4x4 or Huahine Nui Safari Expedition.

Any recommendations regarding either one?

Thank you

We took the Huahine Iti by 4x4 tour in September and really enjoyed it. TBH, it wasn't much different than riding around the island in a regular car with the windows rolled down, but the island is beautiful and the guide was fantastic. I wrote up a detailed review of our day in my cruise review. Here's a link to page 10 where I posted about our day in Huahine. Hope this helps :)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2545707&page=10

Appears you are looking at a land based excursion. You will be exposed to more different things on the 'Nui' excursion but less touristy things and incredible panoramic vistas on the 'iti' excursion.

I've done both excursions and have driven around both by private car several times. Any of the choices are good, you need to decide which is best for your individual taste.

As I'm a photographer buff I like going on my own but renting a car in Huahine can be a bit more difficult than simply jumping on an excursion at the tender drop off location.

A few pictures ....

Fish traps you will see on the Nui side ...

fish%20trap%203%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

One of the Morae sites you can see on the Nui side if you drive yourself

Maree4%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Stopping by one of the very best artist in French Polynesia ... this is on the Nui side by self driving.

A vista on the iti side that you can see from the excursion or on your own.

Le%20Maitai%20%286%20of%206%29-X2.jpg

Another view from the iti side, can be scene by excursion or self driven.

Huahine%20Iti%20%281%20of%201%292-X2.jpg

Again this decision is one that best meets your individual style ,,,, any choice is a good one.

We too did the Iti by 4x4 tour in October and really enjoyed it. If you see a 20-something pretty girl directing you to the jeeps, choose hers! She's the lead guide, has a degree in Anthropology and speaks good English. Sorry, I can't remember her name--she's European, or at least not Polynesian.

Thanks for all the suggestions.. here is my dilemma :)...

We went on this cruise (the 7 day one) 15 years ago for our 25th anniversary. This time we are doing the 10 day one for our 40th anniversary. My DH loved the 4x4 tour on Bora Bora so I am looking for another 4x4 type tour at one of the ports without duplicating the same tour we took the last time.

We are actually more water people than land people.. avid snorkelers but wanting to make sure he gets his 4x4 fix. Fortunately we are healthy and like the bit of excitement of the open air and the rugged part of the one we did in Bora Bora. We are going in June so am trying to settle on plans for each day. Not necessarily wanting to overdue each day we still wish to enjoy some downtime as we still work... (not much longer :p)

This is our first stop I know and we do come in on the late flight the night before which I wish we did not, but we do.

I have other questions I am also going to be posting. I cannot believe how much I don't remember about the first cruise.

But things have changed I know in the past 15 years. Thank you all in advance!

Thanks for all the suggestions.. here is my dilemma :)...

We went on this cruise (the 7 day one) 15 years ago for our 25th anniversary. This time we are doing the 10 day one for our 40th anniversary. My DH loved the 4x4 tour on Bora Bora so I am looking for another 4x4 type tour at one of the ports without duplicating the same tour we took the last time.

We are actually more water people than land people.. avid snorkelers but wanting to make sure he gets his 4x4 fix. Fortunately we are healthy and like the bit of excitement of the open air and the rugged part of the one we did in Bora Bora. We are going in June so am trying to settle on plans for each day. Not necessarily wanting to overdue each day we still wish to enjoy some downtime as we still work... (not much longer :p)

This is our first stop I know and we do come in on the late flight the night before which I wish we did not, but we do.

I have other questions I am also going to be posting. I cannot believe how much I don't remember about the first cruise.

But things have changed I know in the past 15 years. Thank you all in advance!

Just a few thoughts... The reason we opted to do the 4x4 tour in Huahine is that my research told me that the snorkeling is better at the other ports (in other words, Huahine has the least exciting/impressive snorkeling of all the ports on this cruise). That made it a good place to focus on a land-based tour :)

Also, the 4x4 tour is only a half day tour. We opted for the morning tour but there was also the same tour offered in the afternoon at like 1pm or so. If you took the afternoon tour, you could sleep in a little later after your late arrival on embarkation day. I also think at some point that day, you will need to do a make up muster drill but I'm not sure what time that is, so that may impact what time you can take your tour.

Take the morning excursion as the ‘Kids of Huahine’ show starts around 4:00 pm and you don’t want to miss that. Another island thatvyuo can do a land based 4x4 would be Moorea. A 4x4 on Moorea takes you to some great vistas. The quad excursion even takes you to Magic Mountain which is incredible.

Of all the islands you will visit Huahine and Moorea are your best for land excursions. There will be some great snorkeling opportunities on Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Fakarava ;)

That is a big dilemma! If I were you I'd want to get into the water that first day, but I understand you wanting to recreate your Bora Bora 4x4 experience on a different island. I had the same issue then realized it didn't matter because we were pre-cruising on Moorea so I had time to get my snorkeling fix before boarding--without that, I would definitely have chosen a snorkel excursion. Just FYI, Moorea also has a 4x4 trip. The Children of Huahine show is fun, for sure, but as you may remember, you can't do everything!

Happy 40th! We also did our 20th and 25th on the PG, among other trips. You've given me something to look forward to! That would be 2020 for us!

Thanks to all again! See... I can't even remember that we had to do the "make up"muster drill on the last cruise and we came in on that late flight last time too.

I like the idea of the 4 x 4 on Moorea that is a great idea. I know you all understand the dilemma, you start planning and then you think... why didn't I plan to stay longer:o.

I will bore you all with a couple of more questions:

Looking at the excursions online on the PG site: how does one know there is a morning or an afternoon option? Does PG know if I call them?

I most usually on cruises do not use the cruise lines for excursions.. (usually do them on my own) but we do have on board credit I do with to utilize.

Regarding the "The quad excursion even takes you to Magic Mountain which is incredible" is this on the PG tour list or an independent tour operator??

Last question... (for today).. since we arrive so late prior to sailing I know there are two speciality restaurants now on PG and will we still have the option to make reservations in each of these even though we are coming so late?

Again.. Ty.. appreciate the responses!!

Pretty much all the quad vendors head up to Magic Mountain. It will say on the PG excursion on-line plus private vendors usually state the same but simply ask to confirm.

As your on a 10 might cruise usually the reservations are held to one for each specialty restaurant until halfway through the trip and then to can reserve again. This allows for the people who board late to likely get a reservation.

Thanks to all again! See... I can't even remember that we had to do the "make up"muster drill on the last cruise and we came in on that late flight last time too.

I like the idea of the 4 x 4 on Moorea that is a great idea. I know you all understand the dilemma, you start planning and then you think... why didn't I plan to stay longer:o.

I will bore you all with a couple of more questions:

Looking at the excursions online on the PG site: how does one know there is a morning or an afternoon option? Does PG know if I call them?

I most usually on cruises do not use the cruise lines for excursions.. (usually do them on my own) but we do have on board credit I do with to utilize.

Regarding the "The quad excursion even takes you to Magic Mountain which is incredible" is this on the PG tour list or an independent tour operator??

Last question... (for today).. since we arrive so late prior to sailing I know there are two speciality restaurants now on PG and will we still have the option to make reservations in each of these even though we are coming so late?

Again.. Ty.. appreciate the responses!!

Regarding the timing of the tours, when you get to within 90 days (or maybe it was 60 days??) of your sailing, PG will open up the excursions when you are logged into your account on their website. That is where you will see the times of the tours. I don't think I knew about the morning vs. afternoon tour times until I saw the official reservation page.

Assuming your itinerary starts on a Wednesday like ours did, the specialty restaurants changed the menus on Sunday (Rangiroa day). We much preferred the menus at both restaurants towards the end of the cruise. We never got to eat in La Veranda with the first menu but just looking it over we didn't see much that interested us, but the second menu was fabulous! We ate in Le Grill for both menus and found the second menu to be significantly better for our tastes. Not sure if that is typical, but I guess my point is not to worry if you can't get a reservation towards the start of the cruise because something better may be waiting down the line :)

• 3 months later...

We're signed up for the PG Huahine Iti 4x4 excursion (Sunday May 27 as part of the Society and Cook Islands itinerary).

I guess there are no sacred eels on that tour?

The excursion runs from 9:00 to about 12:30. Can we get on our own from the PG tender/dock to where the eels are near Fare? Are taxis available or is it possibly walk-able?

We're signed up for the PG Huahine Iti 4x4 excursion (Sunday May 27 as part of the Society and Cook Islands itinerary).

I guess there are no sacred eels on that tour?

The excursion runs from 9:00 to about 12:30. Can we get on our own from the PG tender/dock to where the eels are near Fare? Are taxis available or is it possibly walk-able?

No the location for the eels is far away from community of Fare and the tender location. There might be a 'taxi' hanging around Fare or the tender location that you can get a ride to and from.

Thanks. I see I confused Faia with Fare.

To view the eels in the morning is fabulous but by the afternoon they've been fed several times by several different excursion vendors and they are not near as entertaining.

As Huahine is usually on a Sunday the Town of Fare comes alive in the afternoon after church lets out. There should be something interesting to watch and do. The locals head to town for a afternoon 'market' which is fun and always some local food plus the kids go swimming off the small pier.

Marc will have you back at the tender location by 3 pm.

More than enough time to head back and capture both shows so long as you don't try and take a long shower, just drop off your stuff and go to the shows.

Here is a picture taken a few years ago, this is one of the Huahine dancers. I took this on the tender from shore to ship. I checked the time stamp. It was 3 pm Huahine time. The show started around 4 pm.

girl%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

My issue with the lagoon tour is as I understand it you get back too late for the children's show and the moonfish demo. They're both on the Huahine day, right?

Rich, just thought I would chime in here, as I have had the same concern about doing either the lagoon tour through the ship or Marc's independently. But, looking at several reviews, it appears that Marc does plan on having his customers back to the dock for the 3 pm tender. Here is one comment from TBK from his recent review:

I've done Mark's numerous times and what he does is provide a great time. No it isn't the best snorkeling location but the vibe is really good and Marc and his staff makes sure everyone has a good time. If you take the combo tour or the Motu picnic the tours are designed to have you back by 3 pm ....

Marcs%20tour%20huahine%20instagram-L.jpg

Over the years the tour has changed a bit to accommodate the need for people wanting to be back by 3 pm.

And I have read other reviews on CC and TripAdvisor that indicate over by 3pm. His website also indicates it is a 6 hour tour starting at 9 am. By the way, the ship's lagoon tour doesn't start until 10 am and is also a 6 hour tour, so I cancelled the ship excursion as it would affect getting back to the ship on time.

If you decide to do Marc's tour, there would be at least 4 of us that would want to be back to the dock by 3 pm. Just saying ....

Look forward to meeting you in about 3 weeks!:D:D

Doug

• 1 month later...
If you want to book Marc’s Motu picnic or rent jet skiis, the website is down. You have to email.

huahinenautique@mail.pf

An update from our recent experience with Marc's lagoon tour last month. So, we had a good time, but the snorkeling was just OK when compared to the fabulous snorkeling on Bora Bora and from our resort off Tahaa.

One caveat to the previous info on the length of this tour. I brought up the goal of being back to the dock by 3 pm and was not given any guarantees on that by the lady that met us at the dock. By the time we were done with the tour and lunch, we barely made it back by 3:30 to the dock. We missed the Children show but did get to see the Moonfish demo.

So, two primary reasons for this delay. First, we were the only PG passengers on the tour, so the land based resort guests far out numbered our desire. And secondly, we had one couple that spent at least 45 minutes shopping at the pearl farm while the rest of us waited and waited and waited. Needless to say, there was no urgency on the part of the tour guides to pressure the shopping couple , as I am sure they get some cut from the purchases this couple made. They bought several pieces.

And, since they were running late and I had expressed my concern about just making the ship on time for the last tender, they took us back to the dock as fast and as bumpy as possible just to get us back by around 3:30.

While we enjoyed the tour, it was far from our favorite, and would probably not do this one again.

And of course, this is just our experience, I know many of the repeaters fully endorse this tour and most people probably do not make significant purchases at the pearl farm.

Doug

An update from our recent experience with Marc's lagoon tour last month. So, we had a good time, but the snorkeling was just OK when compared to the fabulous snorkeling on Bora Bora and from our resort off Tahaa.

One caveat to the previous info on the length of this tour. I brought up the goal of being back to the dock by 3 pm and was not given any guarantees on that by the lady that met us at the dock. By the time we were done with the tour and lunch, we barely made it back by 3:30 to the dock. We missed the Children show but did get to see the Moonfish demo.

So, two primary reasons for this delay. First, we were the only PG passengers on the tour, so the land based resort guests far out numbered our desire. And secondly, we had one couple that spent at least 45 minutes shopping at the pearl farm while the rest of us waited and waited and waited. Needless to say, there was no urgency on the part of the tour guides to pressure the shopping couple , as I am sure they get some cut from the purchases this couple made. They bought several pieces.

And, since they were running late and I had expressed my concern about just making the ship on time for the last tender, they took us back to the dock as fast and as bumpy as possible just to get us back by around 3:30.

While we enjoyed the tour, it was far from our favorite, and would probably not do this one again.

And of course, this is just our experience, I know many of the repeaters fully endorse this tour and most people probably do not make significant purchases at the pearl farm.

Doug

Bummer! I have done this tour several times but I never had a time issue. I don’t know, but I don’t think they get a comission. It is simply one of the interesting things to do on the island.

Perhaps you could email Marc and tell him of your experience if you have time.

I took a several day tour in England and we were told how long we had at each location. A woman was consistently late while the rest of us sat on the bus.

The children’s dance show is wonderful. They put hours into practicing and making the costumes and flowers.

This is a sign that you have to do this again! I met a woman on the Gauguin cruise who was on it for two months, I think it was.

Doug

Hi Doug,

We are supposed to be booked on Marc's Motu Tour in a few weeks (for July 19) and I had corresponded with Maud, from the company, who said that they would confirm whether or not they had enough participants.

I tried emailing them back for the last 2 days with my emails being returned as "Failure to send" and their website is not working....I wonder if they are out of business? We are 16 days away from our first PG cruise and all of my other excursions are confirmed....I am wondering if this is one that is not happening and if we should look into doing something else on Huahine? From the sounds of your experience, perhaps we should look at just booking the ship's tour?

Thanks for any feedback (especially given that you were recently there).

We are getting excited about the upcoming adventure!

:) Lisa