Whilst on our cruise later this month, we will be in Dubrovnik for 2 days. We have spent a similar time on a previous cruise here as well, and had a lovely time exploring the city, walking the wall, the cable car and also took a boat trip. This time we are considering travelling outside the city and wondered about Cavtat, or Mostar? Or does anyone have any recommendations? (We are also porting in Zadar and Kotor on the days either side of Dubrovnik)

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

We were in Dubrovnik for several days on a land trip. We rented a car on two separate days from the Sixt outlet in the Hilton just outside the main gate.

On one day we drove to Mostar. The town was mildly interesting but the drive scenery was mediocre at best.

Second day we drove south through Montenegro to Kotor. We stopped in Perast, had breakfast by the water, and then took the boat over to the island to visit the church. Then we continued on to Kotor. We very much enjoyed this day. Plus, was interesting to view Dubrovnic from the heights above town. We could clearly see how many roofs had been repaired from the prior shellings.

• 4 weeks later...
Spanieleyes, I am curious to know which cruise you are doing that spends two days in Dubrovnik, and also Zadar and Kotor. I might want to do that one day myself!

We are actually on the cruise now, (Celebrity Constellation) and coincidently are just about to port in Dubrovnik for 2 days. We left Venice on the 28th May. The other cruise we did, which overnighted in Dunbrovnik, was also Celebrity. It’s been a great cruise so far and excellent Itinerary so would definitely recommend it.

Lucky you SpanielEyes! I just checked Vacations to Go for this itinerary with Celebrity, since it allows searching by portstop which most CL websites do not. Not sure I have found the same thing going forward.... Have your cruises originated in Barcelona?

Lucky you SpanielEyes! I just checked Vacations to Go for this itinerary with Celebrity, since it allows searching by portstop which most CL websites do not. Not sure I have found the same thing going forward.... Have your cruises originated in Barcelona?

We sailed out of Venice and we end there as well. It’s been a great itinerary and would definitely recommend it. Celebrity do have similar itineraries on some later cruises, with the exception of the overnight in Dubrovnik. There is one on 27th Sept 2018, also 31st May 2019 and 28 June 2019. Hope that helps :D Can you tell I’ve been looking at all the future cruises so that I can book our next one whilst still onboard!

We just got back the other day from a "Katerina" cruise. A very small ship with 36 pax. First day and last 2 days were in Dubrovnik, 1 in Split and the rest at various VERY small islands that the big cruise ships can't visit. It was a WONDERFUL trip. A couple of "swim stops" a day, just jump off the back deck whilst the ship is anchored just off shore..close enough to swim to it. One day we were at a little village on an island with 80 residents, and our boat was the only one there (not going to experience that on a cruise ship!) We overnighted in a port every night which allowed us to experience some evening and night life every place we visited. The whole experience was similar to a European river cruise, but we were in the Adriatic and not on a river. Most meals included on the boat as well as all of the excursions in the ports. Anyway... in Dubrovnik, one day we took the boat out to Lokrum island. The whole island is kind of a nature preserve/park with an old monastery, a fort at the top of the hill, lots of nature trails and many spots to enjoy a swim and a botanical garden that is full species not indigenous to Croatia, but from other parts of the world that have a similar climate. Boats come/go every 1/2 hour.

We just got back the other day from a "Katerina" cruise. A very small ship with 36 pax. First day and last 2 days were in Dubrovnik, 1 in Split and the rest at various VERY small islands that the big cruise ships can't visit. It was a WONDERFUL trip. A couple of "swim stops" a day, just jump off the back deck whilst the ship is anchored just off shore..close enough to swim to it. One day we were at a little village on an island with 80 residents, and our boat was the only one there (not going to experience that on a cruise ship!) We overnighted in a port every night which allowed us to experience some evening and night life every place we visited. The whole experience was similar to a European river cruise, but we were in the Adriatic and not on a river. Most meals included on the boat as well as all of the excursions in the ports. Anyway... in Dubrovnik, one day we took the boat out to Lokrum island. The whole island is kind of a nature preserve/park with an old monastery, a fort at the top of the hill, lots of nature trails and many spots to enjoy a swim and a botanical garden that is full species not indigenous to Croatia, but from other parts of the world that have a similar climate. Boats come/go every 1/2 hour.

We have done this too. It was terrific - for me one of my best holidays. We booked through an English travel company that charter Katerina boats two or three times a year, which meant everyone aboard was British.

Very nice cabins, lovely food. Katerina have several different classes of boat and cruise, at varying prices. Our cruise was a De Luxe Cruise. That meant the boat was very nice and we had an English speaking guide with us the whole time. We also got tours with local guides at Split, Hvar, Korcula & Dubrovnik.

The cruises are mostly half board - breakfast and lunch - then you go ashore for dinner, except for one night when you have a ‘Captains Dinner’.

Katerina have their own website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Marco, Thanks for this update! Do you recall how you heard about the Katerina cruise line in the first place?

Saw an add in "Cruise Travel"magazine and went to their web site.