One cabin for 2 adults, teenager and small child - big enough?

paulfoel

Looking at balcony cabins with Carnival for a 3 night trip from Florida. 2 Adults, one 14 year old and a 5 year old.

Looks very small to me -especially with a big lumpy teenager! Looks like they have a pull down top bunk, sofa bed and a double bed.

We were thinking of having one balcony room, then one inside room opposite but its a fair bit more expensive :-(

Looking at balcony cabins with Carnival for a 3 night trip from Florida. 2 Adults, one 14 year old and a 5 year old.

Looks very small to me -especially with a big lumpy teenager! Looks like they have a pull down top bunk, sofa bed and a double bed.

We were thinking of having one balcony room, then one inside room opposite but its a fair bit more expensive :-(

Like most things cruising, what is tight for one family might be very acceptable (for the savings) for another. When my kids were 5 they would have found the bunk a fun adventure:D

A 3 night is pretty short, I could find a way to make it work - you likely won't have too much luggage. Balconies we have stayed in were a sofa bed (probably full size) and two twins pushed together to make a king rather than a double - my reference is US sizing, not sure if different in UK.

You might want to book near the spa/gym and make use of their showers to ease the crowding when everyone is getting ready.

Another option would be two inside cabins - for only 3 days you might find it ok to not have the balcony.

Consider what is most important to you (space, view, cost) and decide what you are willing to sacrifice to get the thing you want most. Enjoy your cruise:cool:

Like most things cruising, what is tight for one family might be very acceptable (for the savings) for another. When my kids were 5 they would have found the bunk a fun adventure:D

A 3 night is pretty short, I could find a way to make it work - you likely won't have too much luggage. Balconies we have stayed in were a sofa bed (probably full size) and two twins pushed together to make a king rather than a double - my reference is US sizing, not sure if different in UK.

You might want to book near the spa/gym and make use of their showers to ease the crowding when everyone is getting ready.

Another option would be two inside cabins - for only 3 days you might find it ok to not have the balcony.

Consider what is most important to you (space, view, cost) and decide what you are willing to sacrifice to get the thing you want most. Enjoy your cruise:cool:

Now thats an idea - you could use the spa showers without using the spa?

I think our 5 year old will love it but not so sure about our grumpy 14 year old. BUT its only 3 days.

To be honest, our first cruise so I'd like a balcony. Like the idea of sitting out there - and of course its a little bit more space.

(BTW - is the railing big on the balcony i.e. ok for a 5 year not to climb over in 2 seconds)

Might I suggest that you consider an OV cabin instead of a balcony? I suspect you are considering either Liberty or Victory and on those ships, the 35sf space of a balcony is incorporated into the inside space of the OV cabins. And if you were to consider a 7 day cruise, choose one of the Dream class or Vista class ships, because they have OV cabins with a split bath: one bath has toilet, sink, shower and the second has sink and small tub/shower. EM

Might I suggest that you consider an OV cabin instead of a balcony? I suspect you are considering either Liberty or Victory and on those ships, the 35sf space of a balcony is incorporated into the inside space of the OV cabins. And if you were to consider a 7 day cruise, choose one of the Dream class or Vista class ships, because they have OV cabins with a split bath: one bath has toilet, sink, shower and the second has sink and small tub/shower. EM

Whats an OV cabin? I think its the Liberty

Now thats an idea - you could use the spa showers without using the spa?

Double check for your ship, but my experience has been that there are male and female locker rooms near the fitness area (that was also near the spa) and there were showers, a sauna, and a steam room available for use on each side. The 5 year old would probably not be able to use them, and you would need to check for the 14, but I think if parent accompanies you should be fine.

I think our 5 year old will love it but not so sure about our grumpy 14 year old. BUT its only 3 days.

You never know what you'll get with a teen:') I assumed the teen would use the sofa bed;)

Another consideration for the 5 year old: bathroom is likely shower only. If the young one only does baths at home you should start getting used to showers now.

To be honest, our first cruise so I'd like a balcony. Like the idea of sitting out there - and of course its a little bit more space.

I love my balcony and if that's a priority for you just keep in mind what you are potentially giving up (extra space/bathroom of two interiors). I can also put up with or do without quite a bit for only 3 days;)

(BTW - is the railing big on the balcony i.e. ok for a 5 year not to climb over in 2 seconds)

We haven't sailed with our kids, but it would be an effort to climb over the railing. I would still keep a vigilant eye any time the kids are on the balcony with you (and would not allow the 5 year old out without a parent, maybe with older sibling.

Whats an OV cabin? I think its the Liberty

OV is probably Ocean View - balcony room size, but a window instead of a balcony. I haven't been on the Liberty, so no advice on that specific ship.

what ship? Ecstasy does 3/4 days too right? Ecstasy is grandfathered in to allow roll aways

Our first cruise we did 5 to an inside cabin on a 7 day cruise.

this is a 3 day. I am pretty sure you can handle it for 3 days-- one spending getting on another getting off.

You are going to spend majority of your time out of the cabin (especially on the 3 day cruise

I suggest not letting the teen hang in the room. Make it mandatory to go to the teen meet the first night and stay for ice breakers.

A balcony room will have 2 beds a convertible sofa bed and a upper bed. Upper beds hold 250 pounds is the size of a twin bed. My kids who are over 6 feet slept fine in there