Croatia - should we have local currency onshore?

Since Croatia is not in Euro, I was wondering if anybody has thoughts about getting a small amount of Kronos. We will have euro and if we do any shopping will likely use credit card. We expect just to explore areas near the port and just use cash to buy food for lunch and snacks or small kinck knacks on small shops who may not take credit cards.

We will be in Dubrovnik for one day and split for another day.

Do I need Kronos? I was thinking of just getting around $75 for a party of 4. Is that enough?

Thanks

The Croatian currency is the Kuna. It’s now worth about $0.16. We have been told that there are plenty of ATMs in town areas of Croatia, so I think we will use an ATM for our 2 Croatian ports this July (Dubrovnik & Sibenik).

Whether $75 is enough for 4 of you for 2days depends. If you all plan to have a decent lunch on both days, then that doesn’t seem like much, but if you just mean a snack and a drink, it may well be enough. When we did a Croatian coast cruise a couple of years ago most restaurants in the bigger towns (including Dubrovnik & Split) took credit cards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we forgot Croatia uses Kuna as our tour guide quoted us in euros

tried to buy bottle of water in Dubrovnik and stall holder refused to accept euros and hadn't got local currency

our tour guide bought for us and we reimbursed her

so a small amount useful but restaurants will probably take credit cards

We are now seeing more signs posted in our smaller local shops - "No Euros." The official currency is the Croatian Kuna, exchange rate is approximately 6 Kuna for $1.00. We have many ATM machines and many of our shops and restaurants will accept credit cards. However it would be prudent to inquire prior to sitting down. Our smaller snack shops and some private shops cannot accept credit cards, again ask. Enjoy your limited time in my retirement home.

Since Croatia is not in Euro, I was wondering if anybody has thoughts about getting a small amount of Kronos. We will have euro and if we do any shopping will likely use credit card. We expect just to explore areas near the port and just use cash to buy food for lunch and snacks or small kinck knacks on small shops who may not take credit cards.

We will be in Dubrovnik for one day and split for another day.

Do I need Kronos? I was thinking of just getting around $75 for a party of 4. Is that enough?

Thanks

We used credit card at a local bar but at ice cream shop we needed Kunas.

• 4 weeks later...

Very few places do not accept a credit cards, some places accept Euros, also, but we saw no place where US $ were accepted, except maybe for tips. Note....every restaurant we ate at accepted CC, but for the meal. Tips had to be in cash and 10% of the bill is suggested. ATM's are more plentiful than Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks are here. If you use an ATM , use an ATM at a bank, no the yellow "Bank-o-mat" ATMs. The bank ATMs give a better exchange rate. (or so our tour guide advised us) If the bank is open you can go in and exchange US $ for Kn. We were there last week.

Edited by marco

We were just there on the Carnival Horizon. Used Euros and had no problems, but if I were to make a purchase of any size I'd use a CC. But, it sounds like experiences are varied. Problem comes with what to do with the leftover Kunas.

John

We had 2 ports in Croatia so we got a bit of Kunas upon getting into the first port. There are plenty of ATMs there. One cafe we went to didn’t take euros nor credit cards, so we were glad we had them. In our second port, we had a private cycling tour, so we wanted to make sure we tipped the guide appropriately, so we had thought about that when making our withdrawal as well

Does anyone know how much a beer costs or a glass of wine??

I seem to remember from the beer we bought in Dubrovnik that the bill came out to about $5 US give or take, which is about 30-35 kuna (if I’m doing my math right...still waking up). Much of Dubrovnik had tourist prices, but a whole meal still wasn’t expensive at the inner town cafes.