Excursions Lanzarote ?

When we visited Lanzarote, we used the shorex offered by the the cruise line (Holland America), not a local guide, and were glad we did.

One of the most popular excursions included, in addition to a thorough tour ride with site visits, a very calm, easy and fun camel ride, hoofing along at a slow pace with we visitors sitting in side-and-side custom seat-chairs strapped to the camel.

That was a unique part of a long day of enjoyable and fascinating touring this one of the Canary Islands.

When our coach was leaving the "camel" location, we could see the long, winding approach road was filled and backed up with other vehicles -- cars and coaches -- crawling slowly to get to the camel place. So, hot tip #1, if your shorex includes a camel-ride visit (well worth it), make sure that part of your shorex itinerary is early on the schedule (better first in the morning), because the later you go there, the longer -- much longer -- the highway wait will be.

The other thought is IF your camel visit does take time... longer than anticipated... our being on a HAL-sold tour assured that our ship would not depart until we had returned.

The other pleasures of the shorex were the surprises about the history, geography and demographics of Lanzarote and the other Canary Islands.

One thing we did not learn until just about a year ago was the strategic importance the Canary Islands, a Spanish territory, held for the ****'s in WWII, due to Hitler's relationship with Generalissimo Franco of Spain. Not nice, but part of history and a lesson about what one really sees but only thinks one sees.

dateposted-public

NOTE: I tried to post a pic of the camel configuration using this Board's "insert picture" feature, but this webpage will not load it. Here's the link:

2011_04_22_09_42_17.pdf000

• 2 weeks later...

A group of 8 of us did the 'Discover Lanzarote Grand Tour' with Blackstone Treks a couple of years ago. It was an excellent overview of the island and we never felt rushed. Our guide timed our tours of different sites so that we avoided the large tour buses.

• 6 months later...

In regard to ship shore excursion prices, your cruise may offer discounts for pre-booking. I just did that with a Lanzarote excursion (yes, with a camel ride!) at a 20 % discount, which brought it in range with other tours I had looked at. Even better was being able to use the OBC given in advance by the line.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone ever rented a car in Lanzarote? Can you drive around the island with stops in 7 hours?
Absolutely. Rent from cicar at port. We picked 2 places we wanted to go - playa papagano and timanfaya and we had a great day. Just a suggestion. If you go to timanfaya, go in early afternoon and get ticket for bus tour online before you go. We had great parking at both spots because we did the beach first then the park. But there's so much to see there and it's so easy with a car. I'm very nervous driving in unfamiliar places and I felt very comfortable there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Absolutely. Rent from cicar at port. We picked 2 places we wanted to go - playa papagano and timanfaya and we had a great day. Just a suggestion. If you go to timanfaya, go in early afternoon and get ticket for bus tour online before you go. We had great parking at both spots because we did the beach first then the park. But there's so much to see there and it's so easy with a car. I'm very nervous driving in unfamiliar places and I felt very comfortable there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thank you!