Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I could retire now, at age 57, but waiting until the date I can leave and take my health insurance with me - next year 8/31/2019. I don't know how many days that is, 450? but I know it will come up fast as I have a lot of things to accomplish between now and then, to get ready. Sold my home a couple of years ago, in a rental with a lease that I am not renewing this summer, moving into an extended stay hotel in October after some travel, so I can enjoy these last months free of responsibilities.

Between now and my retirement date, I have about 400 hours of annual leave to take...so my semi-retirement begins soon - as soon as I am packed out and my things are in storage...yeah! some mini-vacations planned for between now and then.

My 33+ year career has been a niche field in the business world. I was never in love with the work, but it was very well suited to my personality, so I stuck with it, but now I am so done.

I think like many here have stated - after awhile, you've seen it all and done it all and pretty much know it all...so it becomes harder and harder to suffer fools. I have to deal with people much less experienced and I am tired of teaching & training...

I also have seen my career field change. When I started, I was hired to think, to problem solve, to produce. I was treated like a professional. Over the years, as computer and technology usage increases, in our field, we have become slaves to the technology - constant email reminders from "the system" of some data or tracking that needs to be entered....and of course, the admin staff was all done away with years ago. So, here I sit, a senior level person, in charge of big things, but spending time and getting paid to do petty things that rot my brain...most of the time.

I am done.

Let them have their bells and whistles and monitoring that robs us of our humanity.

I'll be raising a glass in my own honor.

Whew, that was a long one lol.

I don't know how many days that is, 450? but I know it will come up fast as I have a lot of things to accomplish between now and then, to get ready.

Sounds like you have a great plan, and having 400 hours of leave to use between now and then will help the time to pass even quicker! Tough to be almost, but not quite, there! I have chosen a date which works for a variety of reasons, and just have to keep going through to the end.

• 2 weeks later...
I've only 31 workdays to go. 31!!!!

Nice, and since I'm posting 11 days after you, doing the math says you're 20 days out. How marvelous that must feel. Enjoy!

I'm still counting months. Will take another marble out of the jar tomorrow morning, just 7 more to go before I walk out of the office to use up vacation hours. I've got two cruises booked, one in December (10 days W Caribbean out of NOLA) and one in January (12 days S. Caribbean out of Bayonne). Then I get to come home, officially retire, and start readying my house for sale.

I will be 65 1/2 yrs old. Originally planned to leave at 66 yrs old but after deciding to do a world cruise next January, I decided to leave a little earlier.

Am having a struggle going to work each day.....have "senioritis." Just 8 1/2 months left!! :D

I shouldn't have started counting...... I have 46 months and 1 day.......... I have been seeing the 48 day cruise on Holland American out of Fort Lauderdale on Facebook at least once a week and that is the first thing I am going to do when I retire..... Can I book a cruise for Feb 2022 yet? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I retired June 2017. I lasted retired for two months and knew it was not for me. I was lucky and got a part time job I love and I can make my own schedule. I can even take a few months off it I feel like I need to take a break from the world of work.

I was a fulltime homemaker, enjoying raising my 4 daughters, when I got divorced after being married for 16 yrs. Went to college, then started my career at 37 yrs old....I've wanted to retire since the first day on the job! :') My dream comes true in just 8 months. :D

Each day I wake up and ask Alexa how many days are left until my planned retirement date. It is fun to hear the answer as it decreases. :)

That made me smile :D. I'm going to give that a try! I haven't informed my employer yet but I work in school and have booked a cruise in term time for March 2019 so I guess that's my time! I'm 55. 3 weeks UAE, India and Singapore - can't wait.

I'm off to talk to Alexa now !

PS The answer was 291 days !!

That made me smile :D. I'm going to give that a try! I haven't informed my employer yet but I work in school and have booked a cruise in term time for March 2019 so I guess that's my time! I'm 55. 3 weeks UAE, India and Singapore - can't wait.

I'm off to talk to Alexa now !

PS The answer was 291 days !!

If you are a glutton for punishment you can also ask her how many hours are left! :D:D:D:D

That a great idea about the Alexa thing. I don’t have one asyet but am thinking about it. I hear it is really useful.

As for number of day’s I am currently on 371 and counting.

Jo42: That’s sounds like a great cruise you have lined up.We did something similar in 2015 ie Dubai – Muscat – Cochin (India) – Penang (Malaysia)and then Singapore. It was an awesome trip and one of the best we ever did. Thatwas on Quantum as she was re-positioning to China. Great trip and a great ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Well no more waffling! Retiring from the ER February 2, 2018!! But will be working an "as needed" position with an out patient program:D. Enough to keep me in a "spending funds" with a lot less wear and tear from 12 hour shifts in the ER. Its been a good run, but ready to slow down a bit:D

Well I returned from our "retirement cruise" and the "as needed" position turned into a regular part time position with benefits! Boss called me 2 days after return from cruise, I work from 9-3 Monday to Friday, Holidays off and a flexible "if you need to take some days off we can arrange it" Only caveat was no time off in July! So for now I am continuing to work, but if this position "stops being fun" I will re-retire!:D

Well I returned from our "retirement cruise" and the "as needed" position turned into a regular part time position with benefits! Boss called me 2 days after return from cruise, I work from 9-3 Monday to Friday, Holidays off and a flexible "if you need to take some days off we can arrange it" Only caveat was no time off in July! So for now I am continuing to work, but if this position "stops being fun" I will re-retire!:D

Congratulations! That seems like a great compromise and the nice thing is you still have the option to leave! :)

Well done! Your return is mostly on your terms and as you say, you can re-retire whenever you choose. :)

As of today, I'm 6 months out, the weeks are passing quickly so I know it won't be long now. Though I suspect there will be no offer to return, part time or otherwise in my future. I guess I know which one of us is irreplaceable. :p

I will be having my first anniversary on July 1st being retired. :cool:

I was a Fleet Maintenance Supervisor/Certified Fire Equipment Mechanic for 36 + years when I was informed that the shop operations are to be contracted out and the shop rented to the contractor (who has a lousy track record for doing repairs correctly). They wanted me to oversee the contactor (baby sit) and put my mechanics in other job assignments.

I gave a six week notice a few days later and took four weeks off because I had to much time saved on the books (use it of lose it) and only came back for the last three days. Just enough time to clear my office and computer.

Since retiring I have done three cruises, two with the DW and one solo.

Being I have kept my Fire Equipment Mechanic certificate current I do plan on going back to work as a P/T mechanic, but on my terms.

Happy Trails

:whiskey-glass: