If you were solo on the Zuiderdam - or any of the "sister ships"...

gailellen12

What accommodation did you book? Were you pleased with your decision; especially since we have to pay that darn single supplement? I am at the moment of decision for my summer cruise. Booking late; as I am able to take time off that I didn't know I would have. Thanks :confused:

Hi! While I've haven't sailed on the Zuiderdam, have on the Oosterdam and Westerdam. Had outside cabins on both. Plenty of room for me and my stuff. Enjoy the sofa in the cabin. Nice place to enjoy relaxing and reading a book.

Got a good rate on the Oosterdam.booked less than 60 days. Reasonable rate on Westerdam.

I have not sailed on Oosterdam, but have sailed on all of the other 3 Vista Class ships. As a solo, I have booked veranda cabins and once a Signature Suite. I've had one reasonably priced upgrade to a Neptune Suite. I don't always remember being charged double: more like 150%-175%. The pricing may depend upon the sailing.

Personally, I prefer a veranda cabin. But, I am choosy about its location. Study a deck plan for the Zuiderdam with whatever cabins are available and select one that meets your requirements as well as your pocket book.

I have sailed solo on both the Oosterdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam, but not on Zuiderdam. I had an inside cabin on both of them, and had plenty of room. I prefer the insides as I like to nap during sea days and the cabin is always nice and dark, no light sneaking in through the windows. Enjoy your trip, whatever cabin you book.

I've sailed solo on all 4 of them. Be careful when booking an inside, especially an inside guarantee. I ended up in a 125 sq. ft. badly arranged tuna fish can on the Noordam. Worst cabin I've ever had; never again. I had a claustrophobia attack one night and had to prop open the cabin door so I could breath. :eek:

Roz

Thanks Roz - I actually just booked - went all out and did an ocean view - Ha! I will have to work another few years to pay this trip off. No retirement for me. I am excited though. I decided not to do an upgrade. I think I like where I am. Main deck Zuiderdam - ocean view in the mid section. Gail

That's a good location, Gail. I've had success with booking an obstructed ocean view and being upgraded to an unobstructed.

Roz

Cabin 1030. Seems like a good location but you never know if you will have noisy neighbors. Never a guarantee regardless of your booking. My TA did give me a slight discount so that helped just a little.

What accommodation did you book? Were you pleased with your decision; especially since we have to pay that darn single supplement? I am at the moment of decision for my summer cruise. Booking late; as I am able to take time off that I didn't know I would have. Thanks :confused:

I was on the Zuiderdam for the January/February 11 day Panama Canal cruise. I brought a friend along for free so I wouldn't waste the single supplement. We had what would have been solo accomodations: an inside cabin with twin beds. I was perfectly comfortable in the small space, even when shared and I assume my friend was, too. Other than sleeping, napping and watching television on rough sea days, we were rarely in the cabin.

I personally would never hesitate to book the cheapest inside cabin available if it permits me to take an extra cruise (or two) a year.

Bill

• 3 months later...
I just booked an obstructed ocean view on deck 4. Any thoughts about it?

I have only been in vista suites. Being retired money is the problem! I’m saving $10,000 on vista vs obstructed ocean view.

While the switch from a Vista Suite to an obstructed open ocean view is going to be quite a switch from what you are used to, I think that for the money you will be saving, you will be able to handle the change fine. You can treat yourself to a few extras while aboard the ship and still come out ahead quite a ways. Enjoy your cruise.

I just booked an obstructed ocean view on deck 4. Any thoughts about it?

I have only been in vista suites. Being retired money is the problem! I’m saving $10,000 on vista vs obstructed ocean view.

Friends I met on Westerdam always book obstructed view. There are very large windows (much like in a balcony cabin) so even though there is equipment, you can usually see something else. Check out the "FO" and "PO" cabins here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I know this is an old(er) thread, but I sailed on the Zuiderdam as a solo in an inside cabin. Very comfortable, and I was completely pleased with my decision.

I always book an inside guarantee, and found that as I increased my Mariner stars, the quality of assigned cabin increased, so I had an oceanview looking on the Zaandam promenade last week. In any case, I keep my tv turned on to the ship's camera channel, so I get my sea view that way, and one of the advantages of HAL ships is that any cabin is only a few decks away from either Lido or Promenade outside views. As a solo I actually don't want a luxurious and spacious cabin, since it makes it more tempting to spend time in my cabin alone instead of being out among people and I end up ordering room service for breakfast and dinner instead of interacting with others in the dining room or Lido. My other regret on my last cruise is signing up for the internet plan by the day, which also kept me inside surfing on an ipad instead of going out and enjoy people and entertainment and watching whales and porpoises instead of depressing news.

I always book an inside guarantee, and found that as I increased my Mariner stars, the quality of assigned cabin increased, so I had an oceanview looking on the Zaandam promenade last week. In any case, I keep my tv turned on to the ship's camera channel, so I get my sea view that way, and one of the advantages of HAL ships is that any cabin is only a few decks away from either Lido or Promenade outside views. As a solo I actually don't want a luxurious and spacious cabin, since it makes it more tempting to spend time in my cabin alone instead of being out among people and I end up ordering room service for breakfast and dinner instead of interacting with others in the dining room or Lido. My other regret on my last cruise is signing up for the internet plan by the day, which also kept me inside surfing on an ipad instead of going out and enjoy people and entertainment and watching whales and porpoises instead of depressing news.

Thank you for your perspective. Very useful.