Petra!: Profile, Tips, Insights??

TLCOhio

Appreciate these great follow-ups and added information. Very helpful above from Host Grandma Cruising!! Did have a question as we move forward with our planning for our time in Jordan.

Wadi Rum?: Seems like an interesting area as shown by the three below visuals. But to do a stop at Wadi Rum, it would mean departing earlier for our day at Petra and make it an overall much longer day in the area. But, Wadi Rum does look nice and interesting. Anybody been there? Worth making the effort and spending the time to get there during our upcoming Athens to Dubai cruise later this year?

Sorry can’t help - we went there, but only to a small area, for an evening folkshow. I wasn’t over impressed, but didn’t see much of it.

As our ship anchored in Petra in the early afternoon, and we had 1 and a half days there, some passengers went on an overnight tour, going to Wadi Rum in the afternoon, then on to Petra for the night. This meant they were in Petra for an early start and had longer there the next day. They all seemed to enjoy their tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks....what's to see in the caves?

They are the caves the residents cut out to live in. I was looking for the beautiful rock patterns in the ceilings I had seen on the Amazing Places video. If you have not seen that video, you should watch it to see what there is to see. It is very comprehensive. I just wish we had been able to spend more time in Petra. Such an amazing place.

They are the caves the residents cut out to live in. I was looking for the beautiful rock patterns in the ceilings I had seen on the Amazing Places video. If you have not seen that video, you should watch it to see what there is to see. It is very comprehensive. I just wish we had been able to spend more time in Petra. Such an amazing place.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. On the Oceania CC Board, there is an active series of live posting and pictures highlighting Petra/Jordan, Luxor, the Valley of the Kings, etc. Check it out at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2627563&page=6

One of those posting, has a link for many pictures from her husband. Dave's full photo blog is at:

http://drdavebradley.blogspot.com/2018/05/may-14-luxor-valley-of-kings.html

Below are a couple of his visual samples from Petra.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 56,133 views for these postings.

For Petra in Jordan, below are two quick samples for this star and famed attraction from Dave's postings. Looks wonderfully interesting and historic!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-18%20at%2012.20.21%20PM%207_zps2j62humg.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-18%20at%2012.21.21%20PM%208_zps4tl8efgc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous thread!

Can anyone tell me if you can go it alone at any point if you have taken the Celebrity excursion to Petra? I get bored sometimes just standing around listening and would like the option to break away from the excursion group if I want to.

We will be visiting Petra next year with Celebrity and the info. in this thread is simply fabulous. :)

Thanks.

We took the Azamara excursion to Petra. Like you, we get fed up sometimes listening to guides. We stayed with our group for the first half hour or so, but found the pace too slow and the guide not interesting enough, so we just told others in the group that we would go off on our own, then did so. It’s very safe to walk around on your own and you can’t get lost. At the beginning the guide had pointed out the Hotel where we would be having lunch at the end of the tour and what time we needed to be there, so we just found our way back there. It’s a huge site and I think we probably got further into it and saw more than those who stayed in the group with the guide, as we got well ahead of the group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had an excellent private tour there a few weeks ago. He set us free to explore shortly after the treasury, so it wasn't an issue for us. As long as you know where you are supposed to meet at the end of the tour, you shouldn't have to stay with your guide. Our guide didn't over explain, so he was a pleasure; but with some guides they like to hear themselves talk too much. There is too much to see in Petra to waste time with an over talker.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. Great sharing!! Keep it coming.

From the London/UK Times in 2013, they have this headline: Obama brings Middle East tour to an end in ‘spectacular’ Petra with these highlights: President Obama visited the ancient ruins at Petra in Jordan. The US President arrived at the stone ruins of the ancient Nabataean city after an hour-long helicopter journey from the Jordanian capital Amman. He spent two hours touring the popular tourist attraction and after stopping in a sunlit square facing the iconic Treasury building at Petra, he told reporters: 'This is pretty spectacular. It’s amazing.' Mr Obama arrived at the ruins through a famous passageway squeezed between rock formations, and was led through the World Heritage Site by Dr Suleiman al-Farajat, a University of Jordan tourism professor.

Wonder if this was the first visit to Petra by a U.S. President? If Petra is good enough for a Presidential visit, then it merits our time in going there, too??!!

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/obama-brings-middle-east-tour-to-an-end-in-spectacular-petra-kbbmb9x0bc5

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 204,110 views for this posting.

From the UK Times story, here is a picture that was featured of the U.S. President visiting Petra in 2013.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

methode-times-prodmigration-web-bin-46013eeb-2c15-3999-9371-c6dce5c1bf19_zpsjixlknvp.jpg

I'm glad that there is activity here. I have a question that I hope someone may be able to answer. We are booked on a Pullmantur cruise from Athens to Dubai in November. The stops are Cairo, Aqaba, three stops in Oman and ending in Dubai. My question is about visas for US citizens. Pullmantur is silent on requirements and our travel agent refers us to a visa company. The research that I have done is seems to indicate that if we were to fly into these countries we could get the visas at the airport. I don't see anything about seaports. Having spent 40 years working with government regulations I know that they don't always make sense. Do any of you have experience?

I'm glad that there is activity here. I have a question that I hope someone may be able to answer. We are booked on a Pullmantur cruise from Athens to Dubai in November. The stops are Cairo, Aqaba, three stops in Oman and ending in Dubai. My question is about visas for US citizens. Pullmantur is silent on requirements and our travel agent refers us to a visa company. The research that I have done is seems to indicate that if we were to fly into these countries we could get the visas at the airport. I don't see anything about seaports. Do any of you have experience?

Appreciate this very good question. Our cruise is with Oceania and they are experienced in these areas of the world. We have been told by the cruise company that we do not need to arrange any visas for these countries in advance. For a couple of the countries, there is some type of visa needed, but it is easily arranged and/or done through the ship as we arrive in each of those ports. That is what Oceania has told me in three different conversations. Does not, for U.S. citizens, seem that we need to worry about these advanced details in this part of the world.

For earlier this year in visiting Vietnam, we had to get these visas through a service. Fortunately for us, no such hassles and cost for these counties this fall.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 226,685 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923