La Spezia to Pisa by bus

rcdc48

Which post is #10? Would also like to know what is there to do in Lucca?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ma'am, respectfully, you can do a word search here on CC for Lucca, or whatever city you are interested in, and by word searching you will be able to read everyone's experiences and will glean much more information [emoji6][emoji846] It is good that you are asking for info on this forum, and it can be a wealth of information, but for me, doing a key word search for specific topics outside of Cruise Critic led me to much more information. Between this site and Trip Advisor and simply Googling various topics or phrases such as, "Luca, Italy," or "transportation options in Villefranche," you will be successful with your endeavors.

Also, I found lots of good info by Googling various places for our trips, so if you don't find any info on Cruise Critic, you will definitely be able to find what you're after by using a Google or Bing or any search engine. Many people, including me, have given you lots of very good information here. Good luck to you [emoji259]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Googling is very useful but we are here for personal recommendations, for me they are much more reliable.

Yes, I agree with you. I was simply trying to help the other poster locate even more information. I have given her several personal recommendations on numerous threads already. I realize that sometimes the written word can come across more harshly than it's meant, so that is why I started my reply with the word "respectfully."

I know for myself that CC was so helpful, but once I gleaned some info from this site, then I was able to also expound on various information by using other search engines outside of CC. From my own experience, Roll calls have been the best help of all, since fellow cruisers have a wealth of information, and one can also share private tours with others who are on their roll call I organized numerous tours last year for many mini groups (48 people) on our cruise for Spain, France, Italy and Greece, as well as Turkey, so I can assure you, that I am here to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

• 1 year later...

Hi

We are interested in going by train from La Spezia to Lucca. I am looking for a schedule on Trenitalia but having trouble. Can you please tell me the names of the stations to look for? Thanks. We'll be there on Wednesday, June 20, 2018.

Lucca is a good idea to pair with Pisa.

You'll be in port from 7 AM to 7 PM on a Sunday (that's important when looking at train schedules).

You can easily make the 8:21 train, arriving to Pisa S. Rossore at 9:24 AM. Even if you are slow walkers that puts you at the tower area before 9:45 AM.

Giving yourself plenty of time to visit the tower (if you want to climb it book your tickets immediately) and visit the Baptistry (you may or may not be able to see the cathedral since it's a Sunday morning), you can then walk back to the S. Rossore station to take the 12:55 train to Lucca, arriving at 1:17 PM, just in time for lunch.

You have two options for return trains from Lucca to La Spezia, at 3:30 PM (arrives 4:45) or 4:30 (arrives 5:39). Either will get you back to the ship in plenty of time for a 6:30 PM all-aboard. If you take the later train you'll have time after lunch for a stroll along the walls, a good way to work off the lunch calories and get a good look at the town.

If you'd like more time in Lucca you can reverse the order, taking an 8:16 train from La Spezia and arriving to Lucca at 9:20. Next would be the 2:42 PM to Pisa (arrives 3:07), allowing you five hours in Lucca but only a little more than an hour in Pisa (factoring in time for walking back and forth to the train station, with some "pad").

From Pisa S. Rossore you can take the 4:40 train back to La Spezia, arriving at 5:39 PM.