Adriatic Cruise on the Oosterdam Summer 2018, Venice? Rome?

chaggers

Hi. I would like some help, please, on hotel recommendations in Venice and Rome for pre- and post- cruise.

Also, any feedback on shore excursions that are recommended vs ones that should be avoided? Any suggestions for the Oosterdam? (it's just off dry dock so any people been on recently?)

Itinerary:

Venice (board)

Split, Croatia

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Saranda, Albania

Katakoln, Greece

Chania, Greece

Mykonos Greece

Valletta, Malta (overnight)

Mgarr(Victoria), Gozo, Malta

Palermo, Sicily, Italy

Naples (Pompeii), Italy

Rome (disembark)

Thank you very much!

Have you looked down the board? Many threads on each port in Italy. Many threads on Rome hotels and Venice options.

You should take the excursions that interest you.

Not sure when you are going, but you are starting the game late. Unless you are sailing after September 1, hotels and excursions can very easily be sold out. So you are going to have far less choice. The crazy season starts winding down September .

I decided to go and booked two days ago...so, technically, this is very timely/advanced planning! But mid June is when we will be there and cruising on 6/17/18.

I envy those of you that can plan months/years in advance!

For help with suitable Venice hotels, read this site https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/10-hotels-near-cruise-ships.htm. However at such short notice you may have to take what you can get for hotels in Venice and Rome! Just be aware of the transport issues in Venice. ‘All roads flooded’!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out the Best Western Olympia Hotel in Venice. Next to Piazzale Roma and close to the people mover to the port and the vaporetto boat stop. We like the Albergo del Senato Hotel in Rome but this late it will likely be very expensive or full.

Dubrovnik is easy to DIY. Take a taxi from the port to old town or pay a little more for the mini tour that goes to the overlook above the city for pictures then drops you off at the old city gate.

Katakolon, go to Olympia.

Chania, take the port shuttle bus into town and walk down to the old port. Nice shopping and restaurants.

Mykonos, if you tender the boat drops you in the middle of town. If you port take the shuttle bus. Nice to walk around on your own.

Malta, easy to do on your own for Valletta. Take the elevator from the port to the upper level.

Sicily, take an excursion or private tour to Taormina.

Naples, go to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. May be difficult to find a private tour this late. I tried once about 6 weeks ahead and all of the favorites were booked.

Rome, figure out how you are getting from the port to Rome. It is about 1 1/2 hour drive and a private transport will cost around 130€. We’ve used RomeCabs several times. The train is a cheaper option but not easy with lots of luggage.

You might be able to share a transfer to Rome or find others wanting to share private tours if you check on your cruise roll call.

Spend several days in Venice before and Rome after. Both are very easy to do on your own with some planning.

Looks like a great itinerary. I did a similar cruise a few years ago at the last minute. It will have its challenges as hotels and tours will be more difficult to arrange as it is prime season. Get your hotels right away.

Sicily, take an excursion or private tour to Taormina.

Good suggestions -- however, the OP's cruise is going to Palermo in Sicily, not Messina. Getting to Taormina wouldn't be possible. ;)

OP, in Naples you can get to Pompeii on your own fairly easily (local bus or train) or you could walk to the ferry port (right next to the cruise port) and take a ferry across to Capri for the day. For more info search these boards -- detailed info has been given out many times.

• 3 weeks later...

In Rome we stayed in Hotel adriano and albergo Homs . They are located a few steps of important attractions in the historical city center and they are not excesibily expensive. Adriano is near pantheon church and piazza Navona. Albergo homs is near piazza spagna and trevi fountain. We disembarkt in Civitavecchia twice and we used NCC airpot private tranfer for going to Rome hotel. The price was 85 for 3 people. They are serious and efficient. The train is not suitable for traveling with luggage.

Dubrovnik: a taxi to the city center is the best. The public transport is busy.

Palermo: a taxi to palazzo normandi and walk around to the ship visiting the duomo, the town hall ,vucciria market and teatro massimo. Near the cruise port, in bristol paticceria enjoy the typical sweets of the south of italy, and a excellent gelatto. Walk with care, is reputed to be an insegure city. I found it amazing and decadent at the same time and i had not any problem.

Naples: enjoy the city center, going to capri, see the amalfi coast,pompeii, Herculano... a lot of options¡

Dubrovnik: a taxi to the city center is the best. The public transport is busy.

Palermo: a taxi to palazzo normandi and walk back to the ship visiting the duomo, the town hall ,vucciria market and teatro massimo. Near the cruise port, in bristol paticceria enjoy the typical sweets of the south of italy, and a excellent gelatto. Walk with care, is reputed to be an insegure city. I found it amazing and decadent at the same time and i had not any problem.

Naples: enjoy the city center, going to capri, see the amalfi coast,pompeii, Herculano... a lot of options!:)