Shorts for men

erros

My husband wears those trousers with zip-off legs. He wears them as shorts and we carry the ‘legs’ in our rucksack. Then if necessary, he just zips them back on to go in a church.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s a good solution. They look kind of odd as trousers, but perfectly normal as shorts.

We have tickets to Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and Accademia Galaria in Florence, Italy on our cruise next week. Will dress shorts for men be okay there?

The Accademia is not a church. Wear what you want.

The Sagrada Familia is a church and the dress code applies. Knees covered.

• 1 month later...

]knees and shoulders covered in the case of men.)]They are very strict with the ladies, especially in the Jesuit churches. A large shawl to cover the shoulders is a great idea, or two if wearing a skirt or shorts)]When you leave the church it will be hot, but it is better to go comfortable and cover yourself when visiting the church. In the Vatican it is better to make sure that they deny entry to many people because of inadequate clothing.

There are street vendors who sell cheap pants with elastic waists you can slip on over your shorts near the entrance to St Peters. I really question why you would bother visiting though if you can’t understand the significance of the Vatican.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will not get into the politics of what is proper, rude, etc but will simply relay our own experience having spent the past forty years as an avid and frequent traveler (mostly on our own). When its hot in Italy I wear shorts :). And I have probably walked into more than 100 churches with shorts with no problems. The Vatican does have a strict dress code and is certainly the exception. I am also not sure of the current policy at the Duomo in Venice. Folks can certainly flame me for this practice, but suffice it to say we were not alone.

Having said this, most European men do not wear shorts. On the other hand, we remember when Italian men did not wear Jeans (now, everyone wears Jeans in Europe).

One compromise is to get a pair of lightweight trousers that have zip-off bottoms (which turn them into shorts). Just do not wear those things while trying to get through airport security (the zippers cause lots of problems with metal detectors).

Hank

• 1 month later...

Just got back. We visited the Cathedral in Florence and the Vatican. In both places they were fairly strict with the ladies. Security came through the lines, insisting that some cover up more, etc. They were focused on having both knees and shoulders covered. The men didn't seem to get any comments even though several were wearing shorts and there were signs posted that clearly said no shorts. There were many vendors selling shawls by the entrances and many of the ladies were buying them and wrapping themselves up.

They were strict with the ladies covering their shoulders at the Pantheon also when we were there last week. One young lady in our group had a top with spaghetti straps and they wouldn’t allow her in but then the guide gave her a shawl to borrow.

My husband has 3 pair of the lightweight slacks which have legs to

zip off for shorts. He really likes them and they are very comfortable.

I also heard from someone that there are vendors in the Vatican who make a fortune

selling paper pants and shirts or wraps to tourists who neglect this

Vatican request.

Just got back. We visited the Cathedral in Florence and the Vatican. In both places they were fairly strict with the ladies. Security came through the lines, insisting that some cover up more, etc. They were focused on having both knees and shoulders covered. The men didn't seem to get any comments even though several were wearing shorts and there were signs posted that clearly said no shorts. There were many vendors selling shawls by the entrances and many of the ladies were buying them and wrapping themselves up.

Ticks me off! Attitude (of most religions) towards women really ticks me off! I attended a private Catholic school from first grade onward. Was always getting myself relegated to detention due to arguments with the priests and nuns. :evilsmile: Sigh.

I'm fine with rules - they just need to be uniformly enforced.

Sorry for hijacking - rant over.

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think about shorts with knee sleeves underneath? We live in Arizona and pretty much live in shorts. My husband gets hot very easily. He is very particular about his fabrics and is a hard-to-find size, so I'm guessing finding the zip up leg pants that meet his needs will be difficult at best. We are visiting Rome / Florence / Venice / Barcelona etc. on a 13 day cruise in July. I am thinking this might be an option to not break any rules but still remain comfortable. I'm great in capris - wear them pretty much every day anyway.

I'm envisioning something like this, but with nicer looking shorts:

Knee_Pads_Black_01_0f847d5d-1828-4dc6-99b3-b4e249797638_grande.JPG?v=1513805107

Thanks all!

Stephanie

What do you guys think about shorts with knee sleeves underneath? We live in Arizona and pretty much live in shorts. My husband gets hot very easily. He is very particular about his fabrics and is a hard-to-find size, so I'm guessing finding the zip up leg pants that meet his needs will be difficult at best. We are visiting Rome / Florence / Venice / Barcelona etc. on a 13 day cruise in July. I am thinking this might be an option to not break any rules but still remain comfortable. I'm great in capris - wear them pretty much every day anyway.

I'm envisioning something like this, but with nicer looking shorts:

Knee_Pads_Black_01_0f847d5d-1828-4dc6-99b3-b4e249797638_grande.JPG?v=1513805107

Thanks all!

Stephanie

I don't have the answer to your question, but I would find the above horribly hot. Much worse than some looser-fitting breathable pants....

Edited by cruisemom42

...My husband always says, "God doesn't care if I'm in shorts or pants, so why should a church?".

Putting aside the nonsense about knowing what God thinks, I wonder how this translates when someone is a guest in his house and does something he deems inappropriate.

I'm fine with rules - they just need to be uniformly enforced.
That would be nice but unfortunately rules are enforced by human beings, who are fallible, and by different humans who can reasonably vary in both their interpretation of the rules and diligence in enforcing them.

It's one thing to wander in and out of churches inappropriately dressed (the ones that don't have the funds for security to enforce the rules) but quite another, to my mind, to know the rules but choose to ignore them because you know you can get away with it.

Bottom line, it's their (in this case the Catholic Church) house, their rules.