What do you wear to secure your valuables?

dickinson

I know this is an old thread but I've been using this Prada messenger bag for almost 20 years and I've never been pick pocketed. The strap cannot be cut.

It is large enough that I can carry a pair of backup shoes, scarf, umbrella, water, tablet, and all the other stuff I drag all over Europe.

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/Prada-Vela-Medium-Double-Pocket-Messenger-Bag/prod184220292/p.prod?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_source=google_shopping&adpos=1o1&scid=scplpsku168854072&sc_intid=sku168854072&gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdw-M_uacs9JDZZHZP10f_4KfFVoFHK9Iar5WPNGlVe2zFsCptWezndRoCsfsQAvD_BwE

• 1 month later...
I know this is an old thread but I've been using this Prada messenger bag for almost 20 years and I've never been pick pocketed. The strap cannot be cut.

:o Oh my goodness....I could take a nice vacation for the price of this bag!! It's ridiculous....no bag is a safe place for valuables anyway.

I use a money belt for "deep storage", as Rick Steves says. In it is a copy of my passport (or passport in countries that require it to be carried, like Cuba), bulk of daily money, credit/debit cards, train tickets, cruise card or the room key (if in a hotel). I have a small zippered pouch in my bra or inside skirt waistband with a little bit of mad money and 1 card. If I need to get into the money belt, I do it in a restroom, fitting room or during transportation. I usually carry a very small cheap crossbag, but all it has in it is a bottle of water, map, guidebook and snacks. If a thief wants a bottle of water, go for it. :') But absolutely nothing of any value is in the bag. I don't wear any jewelry or fancy clothing either. I can truly enjoy my travels when I know that all my valuables are either in my cabin safe or deep under my clothing.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

After reading about all the pick pockets, etc in Europe I was wondering what kind of clothing people wear. For example... my dh has a money belt (I think that is what it is called) that you would wear around your waist. You put your money and credit cards in it. (he wore it once and hated it). However, if he is wearing a button down shirt it would be too difficult to take things out of it. So... what type of shirt do men generally wear with these things?

For women.... I have a cross body bag. I can also get a money belt too if necessary. What would I wear? I generally wear nice pullover shirts with 3/4 length sleeves. I would think the belt could be seen under my shirt. Somewhere I read that someone uses their cross body bag and puts a jacket over it. What if it is at least 70 degrees and too warm for a jacket?

Thanks. We will be in Rome after our cruise mid May and with all the crowds there I need to think about these things.

I've used this for years when I travel. Under my shirt.

https://www.amazon.com/RFID-Blocking-Stash-Passport-Unisex/dp/B015I74T7E/ref=lp_673133011_1_29/140-2123927-1539564?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1531683628&sr=1-29&nodeID=673133011&psd=1

When we went to the Vatican, we had the money belts inside our pants and did not take a purse at all.

We were walking around looking for a store to buy souvenirs and I noticed that someone was watching us. I did not want to alert my dh. So I told him that I didn’t like anything in the store for us to go somewhere else. When we walked outside, I noticed that this individual also came out and was walking behind us

I stopped to look at something in a window to see what he would do and I noticed that he stopped. So I told my dh that I wanted to go to the store across the street. Then I noticed when my husband walks in front of me that he had something in his back pocket. I knew he didn’t have a wallet. I asked him what that was and when he took it out it was the knit hat that he had taken off.

As soon as he did that the guy who was already crossing the street after us, walked away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep money in my front pocket, wallet in back pocket with button, but I have also had the tailor put a inside zipper in some of my pants back pocket. So really hard for someone to go through two layers of security. Besides I am protected on all my credit cards and if on tour I don't carry all cards, and lots of money. So far have lost nothing. Came close in Thailand when a team tried to pick pocket me on a Baht Bus, didn't work, and after his/her hand didn't work either

Someone with us had his wallet in his buttoned back pocket. He knew it was safe because he would have noticed someone unbuttoning it.

He got back to the hotel and his pocket was hanging from the button. The sides and bottom were sliced open with s razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's what I do. Wife and I never carry the same credit cards or debit cards. We have 2 checking accounts and I will carry the card for one account and wife will carry the card for the other account. that way if either of us get pickpocketed, we can simply log into our checking accounts and transfer all the funds over to the non stolen account. Also I keep things like my DL, and at least one card in a front pants pocket instead of everything in my wallet. Never carry much cash. But then I've never been pick pocketed.