My First (and hopefully not last) Paul Gauguin Cruise

yourSLCwoman

Hi Laura,

DH and I are on the PG cruise for the first time this July and are just trying to decide about the activities at each location...We love to snorkel and often snorkel from the beaches in Hawaii....How was the quality of the snorkeling at the beach you went to in Fare?

There is a private excursion (Marc's Motu Picnic) on Huahine that is 5-6 hours long and has snorkeling but we are not sure that we want to spend that amount of time away from the ship on the first day; we do want to snorkel, if the conditions are good.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and for putting this report together, it is very helpful!

:) Lisa

Hi Lisa,

We knew we would be snorkeling all week, so we were okay with just a slow-paced, relaxing start, but the public beach on Huahine didn't "wow" us. The water was shallow and calm and we did see a few fish, including a really unique one (looked similar to a trumpetfish) that we followed for a bit, but if you are looking for a great snorkel day, the excursion would probably be better.

Have a great cruise!

Laura

Hi Lisa,

We knew we would be snorkeling all week, so we were okay with just a slow-paced, relaxing start, but the public beach on Huahine didn't "wow" us. The water was shallow and calm and we did see a few fish, including a really unique one (looked similar to a trumpetfish) that we followed for a bit, but if you are looking for a great snorkel day, the excursion would probably be better.

Have a great cruise!

Laura

Thanks Laura!

Ahhh.... the South Pacific! Thank you so much for your review. Some 8 years ago my husband and I did the same cruise - our first time away from our kids for more than an overnight :) Your review brought back so many memories! This trip remains one of my favorites and was so special for us. You've given me the itch to return. Thank you!

Ahhh.... the South Pacific! Thank you so much for your review. Some 8 years ago my husband and I did the same cruise - our first time away from our kids for more than an overnight :) Your review brought back so many memories! This trip remains one of my favorites and was so special for us. You've given me the itch to return. Thank you!

I haven't been home long and I've got the itch to return too - I guess it never goes away! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have totally enjoyed reading your post. We are going in November and I had one question. We would like to stay at the Hilton Moorea but our flight to Papeete does not get in until 9:30pm. :( Is that an option via the ferry at that hour or should we look for options on Tahiti? Thanks for your help.

Hi, I have totally enjoyed reading your post. We are going in November and I had one question. We would like to stay at the Hilton Moorea but our flight to Papeete does not get in until 9:30pm. :( Is that an option via the ferry at that hour or should we look for options on Tahiti? Thanks for your help.

You will need to spend the night on Tahiti

What an awesome review! We’re five weeks away from our first FP and PG cruise and you have really created more anticipation and excitement than I can say. All of the wonderful reviews have been so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the PG on a certain day in September of 2001 - my 50th birthday. Needless to say, after going scuba diving at Bora Bora during the day and another dive at night, all I can say is -- that was the best day of my life. Getting home at the end of the week was a disaster since all flights in the US had been grounded for the rest of the week but after having such a fabulous cruise, we didn't care. We got home only a day after we were supposed to after the crew of the PG muscled their way up to the front of the line with us cruise passengers and got us on the first plane going out of Papeete to the US. It was a wonderful cruise that I'll never forget!

• 2 weeks later...