First timer, complete beginner.......

You will have to pick up your luggage at the airport and put on the coach unless you are flying to the Caribbean or Dubrovnik

You will also have to pick it up from the port and put on the coach on returning to the airport

As previously said no life jackets need be taken to muster now

Many thanks for all the help and info I’ve been given, it’s re-assuring us that that others are in the same boat (no pun intended) and we all have to start somewhere with cruises.

I’m just hoping we find our sea legs quickly and sea sickness won’t be a problem. Maybe I should moderate my alcohol intake for a while until I get used to it……. say, maybe half an hour or so? Lol.

We’re doing the Highlights of the Med cruise, so now working through what excursions are available and attempting to strike a balance between seeing the sights and not doing too much.

Totally agree - on my first cruise I was so scared of being nauseous as I had been on the cross channel ferry that I drank far too much at the sail away party and didn't feel seasick at all and never again - but I did get land sickness for a few days when I got home after 19 days at sea!!!

That sounds a great policy to me, Vitalsign, I’ll take that onboard and enjoy myself to the full.

The only problem is I (allegedly) get a bit loud after a few drinkies, and develop a rather persistent ear ache when in the company of the Other Half.

you CAN NOT fall overboard on a ship. All the railings are of a height and design to prevent falling. On one ship if you fell into the railing, it would assist you falling back into the ship.

To go overboard, then you will have to climb onto the railings, be lifted up on the railings or jump from higher up over the railings.

Excitable newbies on balcony cabins, wanting to make sweet love in the moonlight on their (PRIVATE) balcony, can in the fits of passion, lift the lover in a position where they are pushed over the railings. This isn't common practice and is quite rare, due to everyone watching you and the ship has cameras filming and watching in case you do decide to take a dip.

If you do get loud after a drinkie-poo, then tell everyone you are American before, and they will just think it's your normal volume level, lol.

Have you got a link to the Instagram page please?

Just search Marella Cruises on Instagram and you will find them. Their last post has 10 pictures, the first being of Craig David whom launched the ship.

Some good photos, thanks Sauspud, only 2 days left in work before we fly to Palma to meet Explorer can’t wait, :D

Don't forget, the most important thing to do on your cruise... ENJOY yourself.

And come back and tell us all about it.

Under a day to go now, by this time tomorrow we’ll (hopefully) be on the ship enjoying a spot of lunch with something nice to wash it down. It’s suddenly become very real, even though it was only a couple of weeks ago when we booked it.

Many thanks to everyone who’s posted on here for their kindness, support and information, you’ve been a great help.

Rest assured, I’ll be back here in just over a weeks time to let you know how we got on.

Go with a open mind if they say do you want a table for two,I would say no.better to mix with people if you are ok with that,by the second night you will be talking like you have known the people ,for ages have a good cruise ,and explore all of the ship there are places you might miss .

I used to say that I could never change from my regular land based holidays, and a cruise would be a ‘one off’

However, reading the enthusiasm of everyone on this board, and the excitement that comes with it, I could well be changing my mind very soon.

We’ll see tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fantastic time on Explorer for Highlights of the Med, we had a real blast. Yes, we had a few teething troubles, but nothing to overly worry about, or detract from the trip in any way.

I never actually realised how tiring it is, up early to see the ship going in to port, out for an excursion, meals, drinks and shows, late night snacks, etc. I think I must have averaged less than 5 hours sleep a night, so it’s no wonder I grabbed a nap on the coach some days.

The best advice I had was to go with an open mind and don’t get worried or upset about anything trivial. Little things can soon be easily solved, if a bar runs out of your favourite tipple…. go to another; if you don’t fancy the food in a restaurant…..try another one. Same if you don’t see a drinks waiter near you for a while….get up and walk to the bar, it’s no problem.

As for the staff, they were fantastic, always friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble. I walked round the breakfast buffet one morning, and must have received a dozen ‘Good morning, Sir’from every staff member I went near. OK, they had only been employed for a week, so many were still learning, so it was amusing watching them carry glasses, plates, food,etc.

The captain did say that most cruisers put on at least 1lb a day in weight, how right he was, so maybe it was a good thing we were only on board for a week. Now for the hard task of loosing that weight, then finding the money to pay for the trip.

We even managed to get caught it two horrendous thunderstorms and torrential rain showers before arrived back at the ship like drowned rats, but so what. Nice hot shower, clean dry clothes, then off for something to eat and drink and everything seems great again. I loved it!