Veranda Plus introduction

travelberlin

Do keep in mind that the way Viking does business in the UK is completely different in the US in many regards. I think it might have to do with different regulations in each country and the way they affect the deals offered.

We are in the US and when I speak with Viking passengers from the UK and Australia/NZ it’s almost like we’re dealing with a different company all together. Shipboard experience is the same, but the booking process is completely different.

We all do get free WiFi. [emoji12]

I saw those Veranda Plus cabins when we were getting ready to book (first time on Azamara) and we didn’t really think it was worth the extra. The cabin is still the same.

We will probably get a dining package and the upgraded drinks package because I didn’t see our preferred drinks on the included one. Only thing I haven’t figured out is what to do about the WiFi. It better be lightning fast for those prices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not to stay off topic too long, we can only talk from a U.K. perspective but there was a thread on the Viking board about US guests being asked to pay in full 12 to 18 months before their cruise. In the U.K. we pay 25% deposit with balance due to Viking 10 weeks prior to embarkation, however if we cancel we lose the whole 25% deposit.

With Azamara the cost to upgrade the drinks package is $15.95 to Premium or $21.95 to Ultimate, although LCV members get a discount on the Ultimate package so is comparable to the cost of Viking’s Silver Spirit package.

As regards wi-fi Azamara have improved it in the past few years but lightning fast it’s not.

Not to stay off topic too long, we can only talk from a U.K. perspective but there was a thread on the Viking board about US guests being asked to pay in full 12 to 18 months before their cruise. In the U.K. we pay 25% deposit with balance due to Viking 10 weeks prior to embarkation, however if we cancel we lose the whole 25% deposit.

With Azamara the cost to upgrade the drinks package is $15.95 to Premium or $21.95 to Ultimate, although LCV members get a discount on the Ultimate package so is comparable to the cost of Viking’s Silver Spirit package.

As regards wi-fi Azamara have improved it in the past few years but lightning fast it’s not.

Viking asks you to pay in full way ahead of time, but all you have to do is ask back :) We usually pay 6 months out.

We were going to do the Ultimate. My husband likes a cognac as a nightcap, and I tend to mix my drinks up. Drives bartenders, who like to know people by their drinks, nuts. All depends on what I'm in the mood for. so the Ultimate will work. We found the $20pp was worth it on our Viking cruise. I'm a sparkly wine kind of gal :)

Newbie or not, I would not criticize anyone who made the decision to reserve a Veranda Plus. Based upon their priorities, when people cruise they make all sorts of decisions that I wouldn't, but if they are happy....

If these staterooms do indeed prove unpopular I am certain we will see a readjustment in price or perks..

Time will tell if those Veranda plus cabins do not follow the same path of the concierge cabins at Celebrity ships, who are apparently not that demanded.

Ivi

Can not figure out why they waisted time and money on surveys as most people on CC that filled them out felt the

veranda Plus was a cash grab and bad idea.

Poor decision on their part.

Viking asks you to pay in full way ahead of time, but all you have to do is ask back :) We usually pay 6 months out.

We were going to do the Ultimate. My husband likes a cognac as a nightcap, and I tend to mix my drinks up. Drives bartenders, who like to know people by their drinks, nuts. All depends on what I'm in the mood for. so the Ultimate will work. We found the $20pp was worth it on our Viking cruise. I'm a sparkly wine kind of gal :)

Depending on if you're interested in ship excursions or the spa, you may want to consider the Indulgence level Experience More package, if you're going to buy the Ultimate beverage package and internet.

It would be interesting to know if in the future when booking a regular Verandah cabin and applying for the LCV upgrade if one would be offered a Verandah Plus cabin or as now a Club Continent Suite.

Hopefully this is one change they won't introduce.

It would be interesting to know if in the future when booking a regular Verandah cabin and applying for the LCV upgrade if one would be offered a Verandah Plus cabin or as now a Club Continent Suite.

Hopefully this is one change they won't introduce.

My guess is the upgrade would be from Verandah to Verandah Plus and then from Verandah Plus to Club Continent Suite

My guess is the upgrade would be from Verandah to Verandah Plus and then from Verandah Plus to Club Continent Suite

That is not what the current terms and conditions say.

As the Verandah Plus is a category of Verandah it can be interpreted as no change to the limited upgrades offered.

I think however, rather than speculation, some official clarification would be helpful.

That is not what the current terms and conditions say.

As the Verandah Plus is a category of Verandah it can be interpreted as no change to the limited upgrades offered.

I think however, rather than speculation, some official clarification would be helpful.

I agree and really cannot imagine that many, especially those in the higher LCV tiers, would want to pay $398 for the "advantages" of a Veranda Plus cabin.

We are also waiting for some clarifications about the Veranda plus introduction. While we are busy commenting about the new drinks list, we are kind of forgetting this issue.Ivi

Hi travelberlin, I haven't heard back about the Veranda Plus LCV upgrade. I expect that answer in a few days at the most.

But regarding the inclusive drink list, here's an official statement I just shared on the other thread. Hopefully it will calm most worries about our beverages.

Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included complimentary.

The only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list as some brands were added or eliminated based on consumption.

Additionally, we made a change to the inclusive beers offered by removing Beck’s and replacing it with Newcastle on draft.

So....maybe this new scheme is an opportunity to create new loyalists without reducing current loyalty benefits. I am trying to think positive......but I am also hoping it does not work. Azamara’s ships are too small to create a new segment.

I think this is exactly it--I am a new loyalist (2 cruises in)--we took our first cruise with Azamara due to a unique itinerary and subsequently fell in love. However, it was tough to pay almost double the first time, without an understanding of all of the advantages of cruising on a small ship with a devoted and incredible staff. So, now, we are willing to pay a premium in order to get these "soft" advantages but perhaps they need a carrot to get people in the door, particularly with a new ship to fill.

I, too, remember the survey, and was not interested in these incentives. However, when this was presented along with the 2020 itinerary (on the Greek Islands to Italy Cruise), it was presented as being instituted due to popular request.

I only have the experience of one cruise on Quest almost two years ago. But my butler, who was supposedly one of the top butlers onboard, told me that the afternoon tea in your suite had basically been discontinued because of all the little self-serve spots. Then the second afternoon, he "killed me with kindness" by bringing me a tea setup that would have fed six people. Considering the wasted food, I never asked for tea again, which was obviously his intention. He also told me that I could get meals from specialty restaurants served in my suite "only if the restaurant wasn't too busy", so I never asked for that either. And I was in one of the Club World suites.

We had a cruise last Dec and they still did tea.

We found it very convienent on several very rough sea days spent in the cabin. These were days the ship was "locked down" for safety. It was a pleasant break on long days playing board games.

As i rarely get it i never think about it. But when on deck 8 i had a cup with a sandwich or two. They do not do pots of tea like at breakfast. almost easier to go to deck 5 or 10 and order tea. Easier to get a refill. Less and less people order it so I think it is big waste of time for the butlers. Easier to call them and order it if needed.

Well the couple of times we had we were give a thermal carafe so we could refill. For days with very rough seas it was a blessing and we don't get sea sick but but holding a cup on deck was difficult even for staff.

I only have the experience of one cruise on Quest almost two years ago. But my butler, who was supposedly one of the top butlers onboard, told me that the afternoon tea in your suite had basically been discontinued because of all the little self-serve spots. Then the second afternoon, he "killed me with kindness" by bringing me a tea setup that would have fed six people. Considering the wasted food, I never asked for tea again, which was obviously his intention. He also told me that I could get meals from specialty restaurants served in my suite "only if the restaurant wasn't too busy", so I never asked for that either. And I was in one of the Club World suites.

Very surprising experience Pam, we were in an Ocean suite recently on Journey, regularly had breakfast served by our butler, afternoon tea and coffee was provided with scones on request and we had a lovely dinner on our balcony with friends. We had starter and main courses from the MDR and desserts from Aqualina. There was no quibbling on menus, other than giving the butler a days notice in advance of our requirements. This was not our first experience of using the butler in this way, consequently as I said earlier, I am surprised at your experience, if that had been true in our case I would have discussed the issue with the hotel director.

We apologize for any confusion surrounding our Veranda Plus stateroom and how this new stateroom category works. Veranda Plus was recently introduced as a way to provide guests with a more inclusive onboard experience. Earlier this year, we conducted a survey in which 79% of respondents expressed interest in having a more inclusive stateroom category, specifically requesting access to select suite amenities such as complimentary internet, specialty dining, and free laundry.

With Veranda Plus, travelers can now enjoy suite-level amenities at prices closer to that of a Veranda stateroom. The retail value of the included amenities in Veranda Plus is $520 based on a 10-night sailing. Guests who book Veranda Plus will receive a 25-30% savings off the included stateroom amenities, versus buying them separately. We realize that these amenities may not be of interest to everyone, so guests still have the option of sailing in a standard Veranda stateroom, which in 2020 will represent close to 45% of our ship.

Lastly, this new stateroom category will not impact the benefits of our Le Club Voyage program. Loyalty guests will continue to enjoy the same internet and laundry as well as stateroom upgrade opportunities, which will continue to be based on loyalty tier/points. Additionally, guests who book a Veranda Plus category room will earn 6 points, instead of 5 for a Veranda.

Click here to view 2020 deck plans and more information on our new Veranda Plus staterooms.

We hope this clarifies the intent behind our new Veranda Plus staterooms and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon!